Musicians wanted for original RPG score

jordanroher

I hope this is allowed. I scoured the rules, forums and FAQs and haven't found anything forbidding (or indeed, mentioning) it. If I'm mistaken, mods, please be gentle. I mean no harm.

Ahem.

My name is Jordan Roher (no relation to Jason Rohrer). I'm working on an original RPG called "Flare" and am in need of musicians. My RPG gaming heritage is mainly Final Fantasy, so I would prefer someone(s) who can compose original tracks in that style.

This is a paid gig (up front, not royalties after release). If you have the time and the inclination, I'd love your help.

I will happily post more game details on request; my site (www.arcceleste.com) exists to announce that this isn't another spiky-haired teenage drama. I'm trying to make a game for the grown-up fans of RPGs that doesn't pander to their inner child.

Thanks,

Jordan Roher

Sounds interesting. Please elaborate, like whether you're talking about snes-era FF, PS1, or Ps2-present; how many tracks you have in mind, if you want loopable tracks...

I can't say if I've got the time to do it or the necessary skill and samples for the orchestral stuff you probably want, but I'm definitely interested. More info plz. Sensitive/non-public info you can PM me.

The style of the game is SNES-era Final Fantasy. But not pixelated sprite art; I have a wonderful artist in Seattle who's drawing large, 168px characters. My goal is to get the game on Xbox Live, so I'm working toward a 1280x720 resolution.

I'd like to get 10 tracks. Is that asking a lot? I honestly have no idea.

• Title theme (not loopable)
  • 1 loopable battle theme
  • 6 character themes (loopable or not)
  • Overworld/town theme, loopable
  • Dungeon theme, loopable

any reason? i hope it wasn't money - i tried to make it clear that i was willing to work for free if the game wasn't sold, but i don't know if it made it across.

It's not the money. I can't point to anything qualitative about your music. I guess it's just the approach. While I appreciate and understand the need to send out prewritten letters and links to professional websites, my expectations are different. A few people wrote, "hey, this is so-and-so, here's a track I've done, tell me more about your game and do you need format X & Y" and that's the kind of response I was looking for. Not that you're doing anything wrong, but such are my preferences.

It's not the money. I can't point to anything qualitative about your music. I guess it's just the approach. While I appreciate and understand the need to send out prewritten letters and links to professional websites, my expectations are different. A few people wrote, "hey, this is so-and-so, here's a track I've done, tell me more about your game and do you need format X & Y" and that's the kind of response I was looking for. Not that you're doing anything wrong, but such are my preferences.

i would have sent that to you if i had known that unprofessionalism is what you were looking for...i'm good at that :< oh well, i hope you're able to find what you're looking for. in the future, you might want to specify that you're not into the standards of getting hired nowadays.

That's a silly reason :< I've worked incredibly close to all the developers I've worked with, I'm even offering free game design together with the actual music. For example we set up an IRC channel for the developement team behind Kaleidoscope and I've helped a lot with decisions re: game design based on my own gaming experience (10 years, 400+ games).

Just because we use a website or pre-written letter doesn't make us soulless, unfriendly or not very creative. I'm a huge JRPG fan, played every Final Fantasy and pretty much all JRPGs from the PS1->360 and a few from the SNES era too.

I really thought the point was going after someone who could make music that fits your game and THEN contacting them for a personal conversation.. That's usually how it goes and it's a good way to know that you both get quality music AND someone you can work with. We didn't even get a chance to talk to you about the game because you dismissed us, thinking that we weren't REALLY interested.. I dunno, I don't think that's fair. :tomatoface:

That's a silly reason :< I've worked incredibly close to all the developers I've worked with, I'm even offering free game design together with the actual music. For example we set up an IRC channel for the developement team behind Kaleidoscope and I've helped a lot with decisions re: game design based on my own gaming experience (10 years, 400+ games).

Just because we use a website or pre-written letter doesn't make us soulless, unfriendly or not very creative. I'm a huge JRPG fan, played every Final Fantasy and pretty much all JRPGs from the PS1->360 and a few from the SNES era too.

I really thought the point was going after someone who could make music that fits your game and THEN contacting them for a personal conversation.. That's usually how it goes and it's a good way to know that you both get quality music AND someone you can work with. We didn't even get a chance to talk to you about the game because you dismissed us, thinking that we weren't REALLY interested.. I dunno, I don't think that's fair. :tomatoface:

I'm sorry, man. I'm not looking to make enemies on this board and I'm not insinuating that anyone is soulless, unfriendly or uninterested. My actions are born from ignorance rather than malice. I found a great artist by a recommendation from a friend, but have had no luck asking around for a musician. So I'm posting here as a true noob, a first-timer, and getting more responses than I ever expected (specifically, more than one). I have to find a way to qualify and disqualify people, so I'm going with my instincts, poorly honed as they may be.

That said, I have done a poor job of explaining my game and specifically what I'm looking for. People are PM'ing me, saying they work in genres or subgenres that I didn't even know existed. It's a new world for me.

I'm going to take my design doc, carve up some sections and try and explain a little more about the music I'm looking for. Maybe that will help. Or I'll get in more trouble than I ever imagined.

I'm sorry, man. I'm not looking to make enemies on this board and I'm not insinuating that anyone is soulless, unfriendly or uninterested. My actions are born from ignorance rather than malice. I found a great artist by a recommendation from a friend, but have had no luck asking around for a musician. So I'm posting here as a true noob, a first-timer, and getting more responses than I ever expected (specifically, more than one). I have to find a way to qualify and disqualify people, so I'm going with my instincts, poorly honed as they may be.

That said, I have done a poor job of explaining my game and specifically what I'm looking for. People are PM'ing me, saying they work in genres or subgenres that I didn't even know existed. It's a new world for me.

I'm going to take my design doc, carve up some sections and try and explain a little more about the music I'm looking for. Maybe that will help. Or I'll get in more trouble than I ever imagined.

No need to apologize, I just wanted to make clear that I thought your selection process wasn't the best out there ;) Good luck with the project, whoever you pick.

As promised, here's something approaching substantive information on Flare, so you know what you're getting yourself into. I've written a little bit about the kind of music I'm looking for on the bottom of page 2. Hopefully it's useful. I'll try and make the decisions about musician(s) this weekend. But if you just want to contribute, I won't look a gift MP3 in the mouth.

Thanks for your time,

Jordan