WIP-Mario Kart 64, Rainbow Road Orchestral Remix

Compositionally it's quite nice really. I mean, it varies from the source and has some originality and creativity in it. Your main problem is the samples used... That'll be big problem with the peice as there's better samples out there for free. Piano bit was cool- sax was very fake. ^o^ You should try adding a lil' reverb too, it sounds a bit dry. However it all depends on what you used to write this... Apart from that, looking forward to the finished piece, I like Rainbow Road- on all the Mario Karts actually.

(Also Rapidshare was annoying- couldn't you just upload to this? It's much easier to access)

I agree with the fakeness of the saxophone. I think it's good that you are putting something there for now, though, as it gives us an idea of what will be there if you decide to change the sound to something more realistic. I really enjoyed the piano solo, and the composition is solid so far. Good luck with this. I hope you finish it! :smile:

Interesting song - I enjoyed it, except your treatment of the samples is not the greatest. If there are better samples out there than use them instead. I like the time you spent with the saxaphone, though - you added vibrato (did you add it or is it a part of the sample :|?), dynamics, etc. to it. Now spend that much time on every instrument - everything else sounds rather mechanical.

The arrangement is pretty good, though. Clean up your samples and such and continue - I approve this remix.

Compositionally it's quite nice really. I mean, it varies from the source and has some originality and creativity in it. Your main problem is the samples used... That'll be big problem with the peice as there's better samples out there for free. Piano bit was cool- sax was very fake. ^o^ You should try adding a lil' reverb too, it sounds a bit dry. However it all depends on what you used to write this... Apart from that, looking forward to the finished piece, I like Rainbow Road- on all the Mario Karts actually.

(Also Rapidshare was annoying- couldn't you just upload to this? It's much easier to access)

Thanks for the positive feedback. All the samples used were free plug-ins and I totally agree with you on the sax. Is there some kind of site or resource where good quality (free) samples are available that are well known? There are so many free samples out there, but I don't really know where to look for the better ones. Thanks again

Is there some kind of site or resource where good quality (free) samples are available that are well known?

http://soundfonts.darkesword.com/ Just try out some of the stuff on there. Squidfont is proabably the best, free orchestral soundfont out there but it needs some tweaking to use. All of them on there are pretty good, so check 'em out. ^___^ (The sax is nice on that too actually)

Just remember when using them you need to tweak the sounds to get the full potential from them. I usually take off some of the higher range EQ (it seems to give this "recorded quality" that makes the sounds more believable) and put a little bit of reverb on, but it really depends on each instrument.

Oh yeah, this is a very good GM soundfont too. http://soundfonts.homemusician.net/collections_soundfonts/airfont_340.html Harmonica on that is sweet.

Other than that, maybe anyone else has any suggestions?