OCR01878 - Final Fantasy IV "Survival Instinct"

djpretzel

Right off the bat, I was excited about this song when I heard the preview for it that happened at MAGFest. So excited, in fact, that when I came across it as a cellphone ringtone on Greg's site, I played it over and over. And over.

Thirty seconds of bliss evolved into four minutes of pure epicness. Honestly, the more Audix does, the better he gets. It's on repeat on my mp3 player, and will be there for a while.

Great job, man. :razz:

Love the beginning. At first I thought it was going to be like a cliche movie soundtrack-ish hip-hop beat but all of a sudden, the drum and bass breaks came barging in. The execution and composition is excellent! It is a very unpredictable mix and still stays true to the original track feel which in a way is really hard to pull off. 10/10

Did I just drill into a wellspring of Pendulum-style synth drum-and-bass awesomeness? Because I'm happily drowning in a deluge of it.

Love the asymetrical approach to the arrangement. It doesn't feel constrained by a genre that often overestablishes and falls into repetition, and handles the obscure deviations of the melody really well, even in its heaviness.

Strings are a very welcome touch among the meticulous chaos. Given the concept, this was always going to be a wall of sound but it's most surprising (or not, given that this is Audix) that there's something quite subtle in what it does. Dare I say, I think this showcases a bit of musical maturation arrangement-wise.

Very classy DnB that brings some smarts into the mix along with the usual energy, energy, energy. I do like.

Audix, love the intro! It really sets the mood for the rest of the mix, which is quite well done itself. I am a pretty large fan of the source tune, which means I am extremely critical of making sure that justice was served to it. Let me tell you, this piece serves much justice and comes with a side of awesome. Great job!

• 4 months later...

This just goes to prove that Audi... err, Sole Signal is a master of his genre. Everything he does is turned up to 11 and holds absolutely no punches. The growling piano and bass, insane leads, and tried-and-true drums all feel like the perfect D&B song to me. It's electronic music through and through, but involvement with other instruments is just present enough so that the song feels unique and classy!

I was looking forward to this one a lot because of the remixer and the fact that I recognized the source from SMRPG, and it absolutely lived up to my high expectations and even surpassed them. Please keep making music like this! :-D

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01878 - Final Fantasy IV "Survival Instinct"