OCR01108 - Super Mario RPG, SMB, MP3, SMW, MP2 & YS "Mario's Tropical Paradise"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...

So, funny story (depending on who's telling it and who's listening);

I had just broken up with my girlfriend and wasn't pretty. I'm cleaning my apartment and listening to my music when she shows up to get some stuff she had over. The topic of the break up comes up again and she starts crying. The moment calms down and she stops crying, and then this song plays on my speakers, full volume.

Thank you shuffle and thank you OCRemix. The mundane is always made better with you!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Super solid, this really hits it's stride and takes it home. The brass and sax sound awesome, and everything clicks. It's definitely on the shorter side, but the performances and style keep it interesting and fun.

The intro is great, and it just gets better from there. Nice subtle use of synths in the otherwise classic funk arrangement style. Sax solo was rocking too.

All around awesome.

• 3 months later...

I downloaded this back in the "I'm only going to listen to ReMixes from games I know" phase. A great thing about medleys like this is that it lets you know it's OK to listen to music from games you never played, especially when they're made this well. The bits I did recognise, especially the SMW credits theme, just made it extra-special.

A totally fun mix from beginning to end, it feels like it should be put to a promo video for Nintendo, or the credits for Super Smash Mario Beach Volleyball All-Stars (TBC).

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Despite the fact that this mix taps into Mario's Latin, tropical influences, I can't help but feel the gimmick doesn't pay off. There are definitely moments throughout the admittedly massive arrangement that actually put the flavour of the genre to good use, but moments like those are few and far between unfortunately. What is left is just a well-written medley in a Caribbean sound-font, and thus I feel the push was unnecessary.

Transitions are mostly fine, things never get boring and it utilises a pretty eclectic array of songs from the Mario franchise, which are all pluses. I actually felt a bit embarassed that I didn't recognise a lot of the melodies in here... I guess I'm not as big a Mario fan as I thought... gotta play more of them. Some melodies are shortlived, undeveloped and are just there for the sake of being there, but with a mix of this substantial length, that's not the crime of the century.

It's a hefty and unique take on the traditional medley, that's for sure. I'm not convinced that heavy doses of tropicana were crucial to the direction of the mix, but a well worked out medley of lesser covered Mario tunes deserves to be commended regardless.

• 1 year later...

Always a big fan of this one. Here's a rough source breakdown for the curious:

Super Mario Bros. ("Main Theme") - :00-:03, :49-:51

Super Mario RPG ("Battle with Bowser") - :04-:59

Super Mario RPG ("Main Theme") - 1:06-1:34, background pattern 1:35-1:56 (not the backing pattern of Mario Party 3 "Still Going" which is very similar)

Mario Party 3 ("Still Going") - 1:35-2:00

Super Mario World ("Credits") - 2:00-2:28

Mario Party 2 ("Western Land") - 2:28-2:48, 2:49.5-3:18

Yoshi's Story ("Main Theme") - 3:37.5-4:37, 4:39-4:56

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01108 - Super Mario RPG, SMB, MP3, SMW, MP2 & YS "Mario's Tropical Paradise"