Fruityloops or Reason?

Both have completely different work flows. One offers the possibility to use lots of different tools while the other give a you limited number of tools. Some people prefer the limited number of tools because it allows them to just focus on making music and not on what tool to use. Def try out both demos and give it some time. These programs can take a little while to make "sense."

What are your opinions on these two programs? Which do you think is better? Ups and downs of each? Trying to choose between them.

Ahh the age old question. Let me break it down scientifically.

Reason comes with a large collection of samples and synths right out of the box.

FL comes with a small handful of basic (though very powerful) synths and a paltry collection of mediocre one-shot samples.

FL is nearly infinitely expandable right out of the box through its implementation of VST technology. There are thousands upon thousands of great, free VST instruments and effects.

Reason is only expandable through soundfonts and proprietary ReFills that cost lots of $$$.

FL can record audio.

Reason can not.

FL has probably the best sequencing interface in the industry.

Reason has a clunky interface that hasn't improved at all in 8 years.

FL gets regular updates that drastically improve performance and functionality.

Reason hasn't changed at all in 8 years.

FL has 64 routable FX channels and 4 dedicated send channels.

Reason has one basic mixer.

FL can act as a ReWire host or client and can be loaded as a VSTi in other hosts.

Reason can act as a ReWire client.

FL has automation clips and control links which make automating and controlling things a breeze.

Reason smells funny and has a stupid logo.

FL has Soulja Boy.

Reason has cancer.

So... the obvious answer is... Neither.

Use Cockos REAPER instead. It's probably more powerful than either of them, and it's free.

Reason comes with a large collection of samples and synths right out of the box.

FL comes with a small handful of basic (though very powerful) synths and a paltry collection of mediocre one-shot samples.

FL is nearly infinitely expandable right out of the box through its implementation of VST technology. There are thousands upon thousands of great, free VST instruments and effects.

Reason is only expandable through soundfonts and proprietary ReFills that cost lots of $$$.

FL can record audio.

Reason can not.

FL can act as a ReWire host or client and can be loaded as a VSTi in other hosts.

FL has automation clips and control links which make automating and controlling things a breeze.

FL has Soulja Boy.

Reason has cancer.

Use Cockos REAPER instead. It's probably more powerful than either of them, and it's free.

Wow this guy is awesome answered all of my question.. (that i haven't even asked yet) probably because of the redundancy of the question.. Thanks man Reaper it is then.. but can it do everything hat FL can?

Wow this guy is awesome answered all of my question.. (that i haven't even asked yet) probably because of the redundancy of the question.. Thanks man Reaper it is then.. but can it do everything hat FL can?

The only thing FL has that REAPER doesn't is a pattern sequencer, but that's pretty much a crutch and isn't at all necessary. All the pattern sequencer does is speed up the process of sequencing repetitive stuff, which is handy for making technos. You can still do all the same stuff it's just a little bit faster in FL.

FL can record audio.

Reason can not.

FL has Soulja Boy.

Reason has cancer.

This

This

THIS

I mean seriously :\

If you mainly want to record, Reaper is the better choice.

For sequencing via mouse, FL is indeed the best thing I can think of.

The one terrible thing though about FL is the lack of proper time signature changes during a song. If it weren't for that, I'd probably stick with FL forever and wouldn't be playing around with Reaper at the moment.

Reaper isn't free, is it? You have to get a license after using it for a month even though the program will still work. If you treat it as free software, that's not that different from using warez.

Most people on this forum [most people being me] use Renoise

http://www.renoise.com/

and it's only 49 euros :3

I love trackers when they control a relatively simple set of parameters, like Famitracker or TFMaker.

It seems weird and counter-intuitive to me though to use them with polyphonic and feature-rich VSTis. Was it really an easy switch for you, or was it more about geekdom to begin with? ;)

I'd enjoy a video of someone rocking out with Renoise+VSTs from scratch. After all, trackers are still the fastest sequencers by design, I'd just like to see how well their workflow fuses with modern virtual instruments.

I'd enjoy a video of someone rocking out with Renoise+VSTs from scratch

As of v2.1 there's a pattern queue function geared towards live usage.

There's a couple videos of people using renoise live on youtube right now.

Here's an in-depth video showing what renoise can do, it's not live but he definitely drives the thing hard - lots of automation everywhere:

also: spot the bioshock sample :D

What are your opinions on these two programs? Which do you think is better? Ups and downs of each? Trying to choose between them.

Download the demos of both (and throw in Ableton Live just for kicks) and go try them. Live gives you 2 weeks full functionality, Reason gives you 20 minutes every time, FL Studio doesn't allow you to save (or whatever they've invented).

The difference - when you don't know how they work yet - between us telling you NO USE THIS, NO THIS IT IS MUCH BETTER - is absolutely minimal.

Software like this has to grow on you - or you grow on the software, same thing. Try each piece of software separately. See if by just clicking and following tutorials, you can let those things make sound - or even a song. When there's nobody nearby to help you out, you just have to bang your head against the wall yourself - until it breaks. The most useless approach would be to start a new topic every time you run into such a wall; relying on your own analytical skills and using the search is incredibly valuable when you have to wear all the hats (musician, composer, producer, engineer) yourself.