My first Nintendo DS Korg-10 Album: Super-Bit!

I have recently gotten a Korg Nintendo DS-10 Mini-album on line for a free download with a new net label called "Obscura Records." All the songs are done on one Nintendo DS and beefed up with minimal production/EQ. I hope you will enjoy this small album.

http://www.obscura-records.com/releases/jredd_superbit.html

It's the first album I have ever released with a net label and if you like it please spread the word and leave some feedback on it. I did the album art myself as well :).

I also encourage you to check out the other artists on the site. You can check out the other releases here. http://www.obscura-records.com/releases.html

Thanks! The site is just starting out, so if you like the content please share it with your friends. I hope you enjoy it.

-Jredd

• 3 weeks later...

The songs are really good, but the mixing is AWFUL. Its way too bright and "thrashy" and the sounds just flood into each.

Go back and fix the mixing so the instruments aren't pouring into each other and the soundscape is much cleaner and you will have a fan favorite of an 8-bit EP. The music is borderline legendary, but the mixing needs serious work.

6.7/10

With better mixing it might be 8.2/10

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry that you feel that way about the mixing, but there was barely anything done to the original tracks. Maybe some compression or a bit of extra delay here and there, but these tracks were made to be enjoyed on a pair of headphones as you would hear them on your DS more or less. Mixing has never been a big deal to me, which is why I got into chiptunes and working within limitations. OCremix was fun to try to make things for a time. Still, honestly I got tierd of trying to push myself to be a perfectionist in mixing/EQ only to arrange music by someone else. Besides, with my current computer I don't even really have any speakers right now so I'm just using headphones man :-P. I've always been stronger melodically than production wise anyhow, and that's probably not going to change any time soon. Thankyou for your comment all the same, if I get some decent speakers I'll give it another shot and perhaps I'll cringe too, but chances are I'll still like it how it is. 8 bit collective is where I hang these days if anyone wants to see what I'm up to.

http://8bitcollective.com/members/Jredd/

I've made Famitracker Nintendo tunes, Turbo Sound FM ZX spectrum/ Sega Genesis tunes, Korg Nintendo Ds tunes, mod plug tracker tunes, and the list goes on. I like lo-fi, I can't help it :).

Hey Jredd. I see your name on 8bc sometimes. I go by 'skoshu' over there.

So, regarding the mixing...

The hi hat in 'Blip Shards' does hurt a bit.

I'm not that picky when it comes to mixing, things just get less enjoyable for me when i hear sounds with really painful frequencies.

Blip Shards was the only tune though where it was pretty bad, I had to skip it. Nothing particularly jarring in the other tunes. I like them quite a bit.

Club Lo-Fi sounds pretty much like a direct homage to Streets of Rage. That's an automatic compliment on your sound design btw. It's lovely.

Actually, I feel that reminiscences to SoR are scattered across the whole album. Particularly the drums, all those awesome hardcore kicks and FM-like sounding hats (Mechanical Warriors especially).

Nintendope is just brilliant, and it's mixed perfectly imo.

I'll be listening to the album some more. Shame the tracks are pretty short, is the amount of different patterns that limited in DS-10 or did you want it that way?

I bought a DS a year ago pretty much just to make music with DS-10, but I haven't even bought the cartridge yet! Such a waste.

I just ordered Midines though because making tracks in Famitracker is starting to feel tiresome. So DS-10 will have to wait a bit.

And then there's little scale's upcoming MIDI Genesis project, of course...waaagh, tooo many options!

Yeah, it does have quite a bit to do with the limited space the Korg DS-10 has. You can save many songs on it (up to about 18 ) But each song is only 16 patterns with 16 steps per pattern. That goes by pretty quick at faster tempos especially. Sorry that blip shards hurt your ears. I used a metalic hi-hat sound which also doubles as some extra blips when pitched at different octaves. I thought the concept was cool, but then I may have over did it a bit. In any case it's nice to know some 8 bit collective members are hear as well :). I'll look you up on 8bc and comment on some tracks.

Also Meteo Xavior, I realise my previous comment may have come off sounding slighty snarky or standoff-ish and I didn't mean it that way. I just honestly lack the proper equipment to judge mixing correcty which is why I have shyed away from places like OCR more recently. I do plan to make a return at some point, but for now I am enjoying a simpler and yet more complicated way of composing at the same time :-P. Cheers. Thanks for the feedback everyone. (There's also a donate button if anyone is inclined to do so, but I am not expecting anything) :-P

In any case it's nice to know some 8 bit collective members are hear as well :). I'll look you up on 8bc and comment on some tracks.

I just checked out your profile, actually there already are 2 of my tracks in your humongous 'Likes' list :)

Btw, my earlier tracks on 8BC are all done in nanoloop, so I hear ya about lack of patterns. It can be a nice challenge though to combine the few patterns available in different ways and construct a long and relatively varied track with it.