OCR01109 - Skies of Arcadia "Horteka Stomp"

djpretzel

Well, the song is linked above. I guess djp just forgot to post it on the main page.

Meh. It'll auto-post or get fixed. Whatever. Apparently Leon just needs a mixer profile page created for himself.

Not really feeling much here on the lead synth horn, since it sounded both MIDIish and out of tune. I liked the rest of the instrumentalization though, which made this one a much stronger package.

I hate to say it, but I really disliked this piece, which is unfortunate because the Horteka theme is probably my favorite song from Skies of Arcadia. I know you were going for that distinctive "stomp" style, and while you may have achieved it, the end result just sounds unpleasant to me.

Kudos for mixing a SOA song, though. This game had some really terrific music, and is under-represented here at OCR. Hopefully the next remix from Skies will be more appealing to me.

Grr... I really feel irritated that this piece actually was accepted. :wink:

I submitted this almost 4 or 5 months ago, but decided that I wasn't satisfied with how it sounded, since it is rather monotonous in overall rhythm. I thought I removed the file so that OCR wouldn't be able to get it... but apparently they did.

I'm probably my worst critic on this piece. While I was aiming for a Stomp reference, I don't feel that I really actualized it well. The song is technically sound, but not really very catchy. I'd planned to completely revamp it before I submitted it, but I suppose I should just be happy it got accepted. Maybe I can resubmit it and replace it later.

Oh well, it's a start. Thanks, djp. :)

Yo, I dig the percussion. Its pretty sweet, though maybe a tad too continuous. Some more breaks from it would be nice on the ears. Most instruments are used well, but that sax is hella weak. Nice nighttime sounds at the end. There's some high-pitched junk at places like 3:30 that hurt my ears. Enjoyable. Nice job.

I really, really like it, and the more I listen to it, the more I enjoy it. I agree with the above poster in that there need to be more SOA themes on this website... short of perhaps Chrono Trigger, this game had more great rythms than any other game I can remember playing.

If I might make a suggestion for any would-be SOA remixers out there, check out Gilder's Theme. It's short, to the point, and quite subtle, but I also think it has great potential as the song could go so many directions with the right mixer at the helm. Check the MP3 out if you get a chance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Haha damn this is some different stuff for OCR.

They smooth flute based legato lead does well to contrast and balance the percussion. Like the boomy low end. Really wish it had more strings or pad action to fill the song out harmonically. The song screams for some nice pads. The attention to melody and percussion helps to offset this. 2:55 was def my favorite part. Love those type of leads and composition.

• 1 month later...

I remember really enjoying the music of the original, and the game itself was nice, despite the frequent battles and sloooow battle speed. I remember getting bored with waiting for so long, so I'd do pushups during the battle animations after inputting the commands. By the end of the game I was a pretty tough looking guy. :-D

The track starts off really interestingly with makeshift percussion in the form of metal hits and the like, and builds a bit. There are some really cool elements like the super-speedy acoustic guitar synth (big bonus) and some stuff that is complete ass, like the out-of-tune midi saxophone (seriously, why? ;_;). Also grating to the point of physical pain is a high pitched *something* that sounds like a bomb falling. It cuts straight into my brain and is excruciating. The rest of the mix is good, but I can't listen to something that causes my head to hurt. :-(

These flaws are all the more frustrating, because the arrangement is really nice and there is a great texture to the percussion and a few of the background synths. I think it's a bit empty in a few spots, but it's still decent, but the pain and the lame sax sample ruin it for me. :-(

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01109 - Skies of Arcadia "Horteka Stomp"