NiGHTS: Lucid Dreaming - History

Level 99

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone be working hard on their stuff, yes? Got a bit less than 3 weeks before WIP2 is due, and then full throttle to final WAVs! WIP2 is expecting significant progress, with clear structure and good production values.

If you're one of the few who signed up after WIP1 was due, consider this WIP1.5 deadline. You need to get in something by June 1st if you have yet to get anything in.

I'll be very very very very busy during the next 2-3 weeks so if you need something, send me a message as soon as you can since there will probably be some delay before I get the chance to respond.

The work we have so far is, for the majority, quite incredible. Looking forward to seeing how things have improved and progressed, and then wrapping this in December.

• 2 weeks later...
Gonna be a bit late for this. Should have something...Wednesday or Thursday.

Get it to me by compo time on Thursday.

Also, I'm looking at all that gorgeous ORANGE on the First Post and I'm liking it. Liking it a lot. These songs are shaping up to show the vast diversity poured into each song of the original soundtrack, and just like the OST, there's quite a few cool surprises.

I'll be checking our private forums all day today. Like a hawk.

Alright, so yesterday came and went with a lot less activity that I had anticipated. A number of extensions were handed out, but this is exactly why I designed the protracted milestone schedule the way I did. For those that are up-to-date on their tracks, thank you. For those who have extensions, get at it! If it passed and you did NOT get a specific extension from me, talk to me ASAP. Seriously.

Final stretch this Summer and Fall.

Song posted on project forums. I thought you'd be in IRC stevo, but you never turned up, so I posted awfully late.

I saw you posted it, I will be checking it shortly. Sorry, been quite occupied this week!

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Did I pass?

Catch me on AIM and we'll talk. Short answer is: you probably passed.

Hey....!

How close is this project to done? Almost all of the songs are WIP'd but it's not that specific on how far along the WIPs are.. Are there a lot of very substantial ones? December 1st... It would be nice if this could come out before the end of winter. :-)

Some are quite far along, some need substantial work, and there are a few are "special cases" due to the people and factors involved. However, there is no way this is coming out before next Summer. By design, the songs are to be finished by December 1st so that the project artists can use the songs as inspiration for the large amount of project art we're trying to get. This is also to compensate for those inevitable project setbacks, however small or big they will be. The release date has been picked for a very special occasion: July 5th, 2011 (read the project info in the OP). That's the 15th anniversary of NiGHTS: Into Dreams game release in Japan, and this is exactly how I want to celebrate that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright folks, got some new info to throw at you:

1) In an effort to further encourage people to get their final tracks in as soon as possible, every remixer who gets their track in AND approved by me/project staff as final before the Final WIP date (December 1st, 2010) will get a free physical copy of the project when it's released. This doesn't mean you can turn it in at 11:59 PM on November 30th and just have it called final. I would recommend starting to submit "final" tracks around the beginning of November so that me and the rest of the staff have time to review and approve. It also gives time for revision if there are changes that need to be made. I really hope this encourages mixers to meet the deadlines for the final stretch.

2) Any submissions received after the final deadline will be deal with as they come. However, as soon as the final deadline has passed, the staff will focus on QUICKLY reassigning any unfinished tracks so that all the tracks are done by the point of no return (April 2011).

3) There will be a special something from this project being put out on July 5th of this year to commemorate NiGHTS's 14th birthday, and in anticipation for the full release next year.

Keep up the good work, folks!

So there's a campaign out on the net to gather people's support for porting NiGHTS: Into Dreams onto one or more current consoles for the game's 15th Anniversary. Seeing as this project is going to be released then, I highly encourage anyone and everyone to just go to the site and click the "Fans" button and register your vote.

It would be great if both OCR and Sega gave NiGHTS something for the big 15.

http://www.nid15.com/

• 2 weeks later...

It's great to see that the mystery remixer for D'Force Master is Josh Whelchel! I love the work he did on The Spirit Engine 2, and he definitely knows how to communicate emotion through his music. I'm sure he will do that song justice.

Agreed, Yoder. I've already heard where Josh is going with this and I can tell you for a fact it's going to be an intense song.

Also, something awesome happened. The two producers for this project, DiGi Valentine and TRiPPY, also run the NiGHTSintodreams.com website. They just posted an incredible interview with Yuji Naka talking about NiGHTS. It's a very interesting read and I encourage you to check it out!

http://www.nightsintodreams.com/?p=1343

Edit: I must have glossed over this, but one VERY IMPORTANT fact surfaced during the interview: apparently, there was a PC port for NiGHTS: Into Dreams back in the day in Japan.