OCR01112 - Super Metroid "Braving the Flames"

djpretzel

At first I said to myself, "hmmmmm....I know I've heard this before..." then I looked at my music folder and saw the Relics of the Chozo folder I have. I said, oh yeah, THAT's where I heard it.

I liked it then, and I still do now...full of energy, plus the Norfair theme is my all time favorite Super Metroid song.

I forgot to thank Protricity for adding the tempo changes and the choir. So um...thanks!

99% of this remix was done is Reason 2.5 (Dr. Rex beats come sliced up, for the person who asked), and the tempo changes were implemeted from rewire into cubase. I have my original .rns file without the tempo changes or choir, so I'll post that up when I get around to it.

This is definitely the hotness. I was actually planning to play this on this upcoming Saturday for VG Frequency before I just saw it was posted here, since AB said this was the remix that he was most proud of making out of the few he's released. He's been waiting for this one to get posted for quite a while, so I'm glad it finally made it. There are so many things going on here, that, yeah, it's hard to really write a coherent play-by-play on this one, but it's an excellent overall piece. The panning effects are tight, the flow is varied up a hell of lot thanks to Pr0t, and everything comes together in a unique package.

If you want to check out some more of Adhesive Boy's work in a stylistically similar vein as this, you should really check out his Zelda 3 WIP over at VGMix, "Clouds of Smog Over Hyrule". Feel free to prod AB with comments and suggestions so that he continues working on what sounds like a very promising track as well. Great work, AB! This is why, when I said you were one of the fresh crop of top mixers along with DarkeSword, GrayLightning & SGX on VG Frequency, I wasn't bullshitting you.

This is (Don't tell Prot) probably my favorite track from Relics of the Chozo. It has the perfect mix of ass-kicking beats and smooth orchestral sections. The coolest thing though, is how the tempos change so rapidly and yet it's all very listenable and enjoyable. Very, very nice work from a guy who has yet to let me down in his musical escapades. :nicework:

• 2 weeks later...

I took the time to download Relics of the Chozo about a month ago, and I was really pleased with the overall feel of the album. However, this track sort of cought me off guard. This is undoubtedly the most unique mix I've ever downloaded! The constantly changing tempo is executed very well. Also, the instrument/percussion tracks that Adhesive_Boy uses throughout the piece are exceptional. (My favorite part is 1:59-2:57, in the RotC OGG file just in case the times are different)

Overall, A+ work Adhesive_Boy!!! Keep up the good work!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a great Super Metroid remix, quite unique, and fits perfectly with the mood of the level... Except for something that could be addressed. It's the rending, cacophonous shriek at the beginning. Shredding the listener's eardrums might improve the perceived quality of other remixes on this site, but in this case, the only effect of the opera-singer-with-laryngitis wail at the beginning is to ruin the whole mood of the piece.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Very slick work, I think if more tracks were like this, there'd be no reason for me to have an anti-Metroid bias.

This has a super-full and lush sound. The choir is a nice touch, and the constant shifting of the textures makes this incredibly interesting, and a mix that lends itself perfectly to repeat listens.

The tempo changes really set this one apart, and it's interesting to see somethign so simple as a few ritardando's sprinkled around (subtly in some places, more aggressively in others) really kicks this mix up from being good to great.

Nice work, mixers. :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

As a Metroid fan, the Metroid remixes were the first I got from the site. This became a favorite. It has a weird, almost inappropriate feel for the source, and yet feels completely appropriate. I mean... arpeggios? In MY hellish magma-filled underworld!? :D

I guess the only explanation is that the remix is hot. No matter how I reason, this feels completely appropriate for the source. Doesn't feel as dark, but there's more to Metroid than darkness and a need for a Varia Suit. And there's more to life.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01112 - Super Metroid "Braving the Flames"