Anime

I have never agreed with a comment less. Does it not seem logical that that might the point with Miyazaki, then?

Why does a film have to be one thing or another besides what it is? You're not talking about a sloppy amateur film made by a film student, you're talking about a professionally made film by a world renowned creator. What other credentials does he need to have before you can just sit and enjoy a movie like it was intended instead of playing Toronto Film Festival Chief Judge?

Some movies you just sit and WATCH. Some do not require certain linearity to flow from beginning to end. With Miyazaki, you just sit and watch and thats how you enjoy. Thats what made Spirited Away incredible.

I wouldn't really say that I hate Miyazaki movies really, because I do think 99% of the times, it is an incredible watch. Even if the story falls apart like in Howl's Moving Castle (which apparently butchered the original book's story), it was still a very convincing watch.

I don't think his stuff is amateurish really. They still are all classics even to my eyes. It's just that his storytelling techniques really aren't the epitome the anime medium could reach. Especially with Ponyo, where the end-game really does not really exist, you could see the fault in that. Though again, the experience is so mesmerizing, it almost doesn't matter.

But I still think anime as a movie experience hasn't reached that ceiling of compelling visuals + amazing storytelling. Even Oshii movies have the 'long-droning-technobabble+weird-philosophizing' thing going on, even at their height.

The only thing that gets me is when some reviews cite his works as perfect or complete. To me, it would be if the storytelling comes together better and more concisely. Some movies like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time came very close, though that movie's end-game was an epic trainwreck.

Check out The Place Promised in Our Early Days. It's a very very beautiful anime movie and one of my favorite movies period. It deals with themes of longing, loss, and betraying the dreams of childhood as you grow into adulthood.

I second anything done by Makoto Shinkai. Some of the prettiest visuals I've seen.

For Shinkai, 5 Centimeters Per Second is his best and most recent one so far.

Thankfully, he's letting other character designers do the character art for him now. When he tried to do it all by himself with Voices of a Distant Star, while it was innovative and all, you could tell he can't draw humans for crap. lol

It's just that his storytelling techniques really aren't the epitome the anime medium could reach.

But I still think anime as a movie experience hasn't reached that ceiling of compelling visuals + amazing storytelling.

This way of explaining it is far more reasonable. I even agree to a point, I'm just saying if a movie has to be judged, it should be judged with other things in mind than just academic terms.

This is largely my problem with critics altogether.

They are critics.

They used to be people who enjoyed the medium of entertainment profusely until they decided to take jobs talking about them. Now they watch all the elements a movie comprises, but not the movie themselves. They go IN looking for cogs and wheels instead of just looking at the damn clock.

I could go on and on, but mostly I want to get back to my point that sometimes movies just WORK as they are and to let something vague like "storytelling" get in the way is the exact opposite of why someone should be watching movies at all.

This way of explaining it is far more reasonable. I even agree to a point, I'm just saying if a movie has to be judged, it should be judged with other things in mind than just academic terms.

This is largely my problem with critics altogether.

They are critics.

They used to be people who enjoyed the medium of entertainment profusely until they decided to take jobs talking about them. Now they watch all the elements a movie comprises, but not the movie themselves. They go IN looking for cogs and wheels instead of just looking at the damn clock.

I could go on and on, but mostly I want to get back to my point that sometimes movies just WORK as they are and to let something vague like "storytelling" get in the way is the exact opposite of why someone should be watching movies at all.

Well, I guess I've long since entered the 'critic mode' since I'm so into the entire genre of anime now. Though it's ironic since I even watch crappy shows just to be a completionist about it.

But either way, the one thing that Miyazaki is simply uncontested is with his visual imagery and the art of actual animating things. To me, there has been way worse animated shows but with better story pacing and the actual act of telling a story.

I'm way more torn over the fact that people consider Oshii one of the big names in anime movie making, because his movies have since fallen into "Oshii-isms" with his profuse love for cigarettes and Basset Hounds. lol. Oh, and passing off consistent rant/banter/technobabble as actually palatable dialog. Apparently, a lot of people do. I do think he has his chops as an anime director, but IMO he has way more flaws that gets into the way of digesting a story than Miyazaki. With Miyazaki, it's usually being way too terse and mythical about plot progression in general.

I'm way more torn over the fact that people consider Oshii one of the big names in anime movie making, because his movies have since fallen into "Oshii-isms" with his profuse love for cigarettes and Basset Hounds.

Oddly enough, I just finished WXIII [the third Patlabor movie] and yes, there's lots of cigarettes, haha.

I'm confused though - it really had nothing to do with Patlabor except that the original cast showed up as like, extras. And there's no real point to them being there, the patlabors themselves don't even show up until the movie's almost over. Still, I liked the old detective from the series and other movies, it was cool they made a movie for him :3 but someone seeing this movie without knowing the connection to Patlabor would be like "lol wut"

Ponyo sucked, like most Miyazaki films.

Let the hate begin.

no hate, i could say that about 95% of the anime i have ever seen. I am a huge fan of Miyazaki films and enjoyed Ponyo a lot. In a age where traditional animation is dying he still manages to come out with great stuff. I guess its not for everyone though. To be honest, though it is considered anime, i dont categorize his work with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, what I'm watching right now in Anime is actually old...I started feeling nostalgic for shows I enjoyed in my youth and started watching Yu-Gi-Oh again...I just really liked the original series when I was a kid...I've also watched Elfen Lied, Trinity Blood, and Blue Gender recently, all good bloody series that were excellent, although Blue Gender kind of freaked me out.