Anime

the thing about anime is that at this point most anime is actively trying to be anime instead of a show that just happens to be anime, so as to fit into a culture that likes anime regardless of quality or artistic merit because that's what they believe their culture is supposed to do

it pretty much started going downhill with the advent of lucky star

and how like the K-On movie is like the highest grossing anime movie of all time or something like that.

To ease the pain of that tidbit, have some classic ORGUSS 02 dub:

So good.

I talked about spice and wolf earlier. I was wondering about what you think about a particular part of the soundtrack. There is a pretty ugly sounding engrish song called

And someone made a kind of rap version of it here.

Ummmmm, I just think it's worth talking about. I really don't know what to say. I think Holo's expression on the video speaks exactly my feelings on it.

Edited by Thin Crust

I talked about spice and wolf earlier. I was wondering about what you think about a particular part of the soundtrack. There is a pretty ugly sounding engrish song called

And someone made a kind of rap version of it here.

Ummmmm, I just think it's worth talking about. I really don't know what to say. I think Holo's expression on the video speaks exactly my feelings on it.

I thought the song was an endearing earworm, you sonuvabitch.

I'm afraid to go near a K-On movie. I'll admit I liked the first season since they actually tried to include the music part of being in a highschool band, but while it already had a fair share of moe, they dialed it up to 11 while removing any of the interesting parts in the second season.

Part of a recurring trend.

I thought the song was an endearing earworm, you sonuvabitch.

I'm afraid to go near a K-On movie. I'll admit I liked the first season since they actually tried to include the music part of being in a highschool band, but while it already had a fair share of moe, they dialed it up to 11 while removing any of the interesting parts in the second season.

Part of a recurring trend.

I recently started watching K-On. Just started the second season. It's such a fun show.

If what you're saying is true... well I don't really care. I'll watch it as long as it falls under the category of "cute girls doing cute things", which I should be ashamed to admit even on the internet. Even if I were anonymous.

Though it doesn't come anywhere close to KyoAni's Nichijou, but I'm probably the only one who thinks that show is the best. (considering the kind of mediocre reviews it got)

Oh, and on the topic of anime soundtracks - Spice and Wolf has always been my favorite, if only for S1's OP which seriously tops as one of my favorite songs of all time. I can listen to the entire soundtrack for hours on end though.

If you want to see cute girls doing cute things, just watch Dirty Pair.

If by cute girls you mean "hot detective bounty hunter trouble consultant chicks" and by cute things you mean 'kicking ass'.

Lots of fun.

After watching more clips, I kind of want to buy The Boondocks series. I loved the comic as a kid and I feel the show had some really funny moments.

Edited by EC2151

I loathe the whole "moe" thing to an extent beyond my ability to articulate. I guess it could theoretically be done well, but every example of moe that's ever been pointed out to me is just generic cuteness used instead of actual characterization.

Basically, being moe requires a character to act like a six year old girl regardless of their actual age or situation. Which is fucked up.

I loathe the whole "moe" thing to an extent beyond my ability to articulate. I guess it could theoretically be done well, but every example of moe that's ever been pointed out to me is just generic cuteness used instead of actual characterization.

Basically, being moe requires a character to act like a six year old girl regardless of their actual age or situation. Which is fucked up.

the thing about anime is that at this point most anime is actively trying to be anime instead of a show that just happens to be anime, so as to fit into a culture that likes anime regardless of quality or artistic merit because that's what they believe their culture is supposed to do

it pretty much started going downhill with the advent of lucky star

And that anime culture is turning into Moe and Shounen Jump garbage.

I didn't really grow up with anime all that much, so I can't understand the whole moe hate thing as much. However even when I watch any slice of life anime I have standards, probably not as high as most. As long as the characters are interesting or fun, and it's not overly sexual, I'm totally cool with the show.

I find myself mostly watching SoL anime anymore now. The only action anime I really got into was Dragonball Z (of course it's that one), but I don't even like that now. SoL is just so fun and easy to watch for me - it's so relaxing to come home from a long day, hit the bed with some herbal tea while watching a couple of episodes of azumanga daioh or something.

However I do like a good plot every now and then. I just don't find myself chasing after those shows as much (unless recommended). I guess I just never really had a chance to get into anime, though. But maybe one day I'll be as cool as you guys.

edit: it's funny that my signature and avatar fit well with what i just said. typical moe fan.

It's more that Japanese television doesn't really do the whole "season breaks" thing that the US does, so shows literally have to do whatever they can to keep airing in their time slot, lest they lose it entirely. For long-running shounen series, this invariably means filler episodes whenever the anime comes close to catching up to the original manga. It's a really crappy model, but them's the breaks. A lot of more recent series have started splitting into 13-episode "seasons" by default, presumably to get around this.

And I can't speak for Naruto, but Bleach is far from "great" in any of its forms. Tite Kubo may be an awesome character/fashion designer, but he can't structure a story or properly utilize characters to save his life. The reason the anime is seemingly always in filler is because his chapters are so devoid of actual content; I've seen many instances of two-page spreads that are pretty much blank. One Piece, however, is shounen done about as well as it's possible to do.

I can remember parts of the Bleach manga where it took almost half a year of serialisation to get through a single battle. The only shounen manga I actually manage to enjoy these days is Fairy Tail, since it tends to move much quicker than most of the others and there's usually substance to it.

It'll probably devolve over time though... I remember Naruto and Bleach both being pretty fast-paced early in their run as compared to now.

In my opinion, it's not so much moe that's killing anime as it is the generic shounen protagonists and genki girls that are constantly being thrown at us. They're always exactly the same, they're always braindead, and they always win through some terrible deus ex machina.

I think there's been a bit of a slump in decent anime recently. Obvious scapegoats would be economy, falling yen value, and the earthquake/tsunami. It just seems like there's been a crapton of sequels and genre slaves (easy money) and nothing that seems fresh. I went through and watched a few new shows streaming on my Roku out of boredom and finished them anyways, but again, mostly genre slaves. Anybody else found anything that legitimately blew them away in the past two years? I suppose this is also a personal taste question, so maybe I'll run a dir for you guys on my BFAF (big freaking anime folder) when I get home.

Anybody else found anything that legitimately blew them away in the past two years?

Going back as far as the beginning of 2009, the anime I legitimately enjoyed and fully endorse (also includes a few films and ovas). Anything in bold means that not watching it is unacceptible.

Tears to Tiara

Dissappearance of Haruhi

Summer Wars

Redline

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

Pandora Hearts

Katanagatari

FMA: Brotherhood

Durarara!!

Bakemonogatari

BakaTest (S1 + 2)

Shiki

Squid Girl

Gundam 00 Movie

Madoka Magica

Level E

Arrietty

The World God Only Knows

Legend of the Legendary Heroes

Angel Beats!

Yuru Yuri

UN-GO

Tiger & Bunny

Steins;Gate

Mawaru Penguindrum

Fate/Zero

Haganai

That's a bigger list than I originally expected to write. It doesn't include anime I haven't seen firsthand either. Most of the bolded titles are generally considered to be among the best anime of recent years. There's a huge variety of genres in there too so there should be something to appeal to everyone.

Gundam 00 Movie

wat.

I'm admittedly biased by being a huge Gundam nerd, so I don't look at it the same was as the average anime watcher, but I couldn't stand the Gundam 00 movie. Nevermind the fact that adding aliens to Gundam removes one of the major things that makes the franchise unique (if I wanted my giant robots to fight aliens, I'd be watching Macross); the movie was 75% metal blobs chasing things around, 20% beamspam, and 5% not-suck. And that's not even bringing up the plot holes. If the metal blobs learn things by assimilating them, then wouldn't they assimilate a person or two, go "oh, shit, people don't like it when you assimilate them" and stop? Apparently not.

But yeah. Even as a Gundam fan, someone who really wanted to enjoy it, I couldn't bring myself to think that the Gundam 00 movie was anything but shitty.

wat.

I'm admittedly biased by being a huge Gundam nerd, so I don't look at it the same was as the average anime watcher, but I couldn't stand the Gundam 00 movie. Nevermind the fact that adding aliens to Gundam removes one of the major things that makes the franchise unique (if I wanted my giant robots to fight aliens, I'd be watching Macross); the movie was 75% metal blobs chasing things around, 20% beamspam, and 5% not-suck. And that's not even bringing up the plot holes. If the metal blobs learn things by assimilating them, then wouldn't they assimilate a person or two, go "oh, shit, people don't like it when you assimilate them" and stop? Apparently not.

But yeah. Even as a Gundam fan, someone who really wanted to enjoy it, I couldn't bring myself to think that the Gundam 00 movie was anything but shitty.

As one Gundam fan to another, you should have taken the terrible second season of Gundam 00 as a warning that they were gonna ruin the movie.