Anime

I'm legitimately surprised you would consider Redline to be particularly "out there", when compared to a lot of the more popular anime (and in fact, a lot of anime in general) it's actually pretty tame.

Well, I don't really watch tons of anime. I haven't really watched any of it since around 2003. A lot of the shows that were on at that time were actually re-runs of 90s anime like Gundam. There is a lot of Gundam.

I recall this one show (not gundam) in particular was pretty popular. It was about some guy with dog ears, white hair and a sword that even crocodile-dundee would consider a proper "knife". There was usually some school girl with him.

Basically, for me it was "giant robots or GTFO".

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

InuYasha was one of those guilty pleasure anime I watched when I was growing up that i knew was cheesy and contrived but then again, I have the feeling that along with pokemon it was everyone's "first anime."

I think it's because Rumiko Takahashi's style before it got copied again and again by imitators is really appealing and fun.

Was still pretty terrible though. At first you think "oh this isn't that bad" but after the first dozen or so episodes it just drags on and on. It feels like the whole series was pretty much filler after the first 20-30 episodes. Now Yu Yu Hakusho, THAT was a fun show.

Every part of this is true.

Aaaaaa horrible dubs x.X

Now my ears are bleeding. This is exactly why I don't watch anime in English anymore.

What the hell does shitty dialogue have to do with the quality of the dub? You could have the best voice actors in the world, and having them scream each other's names at each other constantly would still be stupid.

Besides, Richard Ian Cox is a pretty decent VA, despite the incredible unfortunateness of his name. Besides Inuyasha, he's done a bunch of Gundam stuff, and he was the main character in Zoids New Century.

Anyone who has that much to do with giant robots kicking ass can't not be awesome.

What the hell does shitty dialogue have to do with the quality of the dub? You could have the best voice actors in the world, and having them scream each other's names at each other constantly would still be stupid.

I'm not entirely sure that's quite what you meant to say, but I'll bite anyway. You're right. Shitty dialogue has nothing to do with the quality of the dub. Even if it was the best writing in the world, it would still be a godawful dub.

the joke is that none of you fuckers even have a clue what 'good japanese acting' is

at the very least you can say that you like the original dub because you just can't tell but even that is frivolous at best

This. Fucking this.

I've always thought this. I watch Japanese w/ subs, I'm not completely sure why. I think I'm just fooling myself.

So... you're judging the quality of the dub based on a bunch of low-fidelity audio clips of the two main characters saying each other's names repeatedly out of context?

Uh, okay.

Or, y'know, there could be the possibility that I'd seen some of the dub in the past?

Full Metal Alchemist was a good dub, better than most at any rate.

I guess now would be a good time for people to start naming great anime dubs.

I'll start with Full Metal Alchemist, Gundam 00, IGPX, Spice and Wolf, and I'll even throw in Final Fantasy XII just for fun.

You?

Cowboy Bebop and The Big O both spring to mind.

I'm gonna throw out G Gundam as well. The dub was just over-the-top enough to match the silliness of what was happening on-screen.

Pretty much all of Disney's dubs of Studio Ghibli's movies are great, too. I haven't seen all of them (Yet!), but all of the ones I've seen, the voice acting was fantastic.

the joke is that none of you fuckers even have a clue what 'good japanese acting' is

at the very least you can say that you like the original dub because you just can't tell but even that is frivolous at best

I don't think anyone in the thread was knocking on the original Japanese for anything for being badly acted, we're knocking on the English ones for it. Even if you don't know what 'good japanese acting' is, it's pretty easy to tell what 'bad english acting' is. :P

Edited by Dexie

Is the ability to evaluate the quality of a performance inextricably linked to complete understanding of the language? Unless Japanese acting is truly incomparable to Western acting in every facet, I don't think it's beyond the abilities of a layman to evaluate a person's acting (though I agree if you actually meant something more along the lines of evaluating Japanese writing). I think that a performance is more than just the words that make up the language, that there are subtleties in inflection and speech patterns that can be observed even by someone with an incomplete understanding of a given language. Were this not true then performances utilizing invented languages (such as ICO) would be inevaluable to everyone, and I don't think that anyone genuinely believes that. I think it's possible to have extremely well-acted performances that grip the gut of the audience, even where the language is complete gibberish.

I'm no linguist, but I've seen very... stilted performances both in languages that I do and do not understand; by that same token, I've seen powerful performances on both sides of the train-tracks that tugged at my very heart-strings.

I don't think anyone in the thread was knocking on the original Japanese for anything for being badly acted

Read it again; he was saying that scarce anyone here could accurately evaluate the quality of a Japanese dub as good.

Not only are there inherent differences in how Japanese VA is done as opposed to in the U.S.(actors in the same both playing off each other as opposed to separated), Japanese acting is pretty different in that there is generally a lot more overacting, and from what I've seen from a lot of Japanese drama and film, anime is oftentimes in line with that style, save obviously for the types of scenarios that can only occur in animation.

Generally speaking, VA is held in a bit higher regard in Japan than it is over here, so there tends to be a higher level of professionalism involved, whereas in my opinion VA in the states is only just starting to get anywhere.

Not only are there inherent differences in how Japanese VA is done as opposed to in the U.S.(actors in the same both playing off each other as opposed to separated), Japanese acting is pretty different in that there is generally a lot more overacting, and from what I've seen from a lot of Japanese drama and film, anime is oftentimes in line with that style, save obviously for the types of scenarios that can only occur in animation.

This. This is also one of the reasons so many English dubs turn out so badly. Putting recording separately to one side for now because the benefits of it are obvious (some western game studios do do it, but not nearly enough - actually that's an entirely separate issue; why does the west take video game voiceovers seriously but not anime voiceovers? The difference in quality is huge and I don't think it's something that can be blamed entirely on using non-union VAs), while overacting is normal in a lot of Japanese media, it is not in English media and this is where part of the problem comes in. Too many English anime VAs try to mimic the original feel of the Japanese voice acting. This does not work. Not just because it's a different language with its own nuances, but because the overacting present in Japanese dubs does not translate well to English.

Of course, this isn't the entire problem. There's still the major problem of lifeless emotionless lines and the vast majority of lines that seem to have randomly been recorded completely out of context given how unnatural they feel. Literally no effort is put into most of these dubs (FUNimation has been a rare exception).

For shows that have manga with the exact same story (like Bleach and Naruto), I vastly prefer to read the manga. I already know what the characters sound like, so I imagine they have better acting skills when I read it.

Also cuts out all the bullshit filler seasons. Seriously, Bleach had like, six seasons of filler. SIX. Fuck that.

Any Clannad fans out there?

I still need to watch some anime, any recommendations?

I want something with a worth while story that stays with me.

Currently I have Elfen Lied.

Anime I've watched:

• Clannad (fav)
  • Monster
  • Tengo Toppa Gurren (Gurren Laggan)
  • Gundam 00 (T'was awesome)
  • Wolf's Rain (Right behing Clannad)