Anime

KKUej.jpg

why

funnily enough I just marathoned Madoka Magica 2 days ago. I was hooked, so from like, 5pm to 2am I was watching it almost non-stop.

I honestly haven't watched much anime besides a few classics and mostly newer stuff, but this is probably without a doubt one of my favorite anime as of now. Close to Nichijou.

It messed with my mind man. I seriously did not expect it to be the kind of show it was. I kind of watched it blind to what I was supposed to expect, but it was awesome.

edit: also not trying to change topics or anything, just wanted to brag about how awesome madoka was really quick :P

Edited by urdailywater

I watched the third episode of New Dominion Tank Police.

The OVA hasn't let me down yet (again, I remind you how the original series, Dominion Tank Police, was amazing until the fourth and final episode), and it was really entertaining, with some nice funny bits to it. I am really hoping that they can wrap things up to a respectable ending, and if everything conclusively concludes, I'll be a "heppy, heppy 'ket.'"

I mean, any show that features a remote-control robot-terrorist semi-truck gets SOME points in my book.

Edited by EC2151

I hope you guys are watching Space Bros and Sakamichi no Apollon this season. Both should cater at least somewhat to what I've learned of your tastes through interaction with this thread. The former has the feel of a typical 80s/90s anime, dealing with bros... and space... what more could you want? It's also seinen so there's no moe or shounen contamination in there.

The latter is once again a collaboration between the director and composer of Cowboy Bebop in the form of a Noitamina anime about highschoolers in the mid sixties setting up a jazz band. Admittedly, it's a josei anime (supposedly), but that's kinda irrelevant really at this point. Given that OCR is a music community, there's literally no reason not to at least check the anime out.

edit: also not trying to change topics or anything, just wanted to brag about how awesome madoka was really quick :P

F#ck. I could gush for a good half hour about how sick I thought that anime was. I was one of them magical girl haters, then Madoka Magica showed me that I could just go f#ck myself. I have some serious love for how cool that show was!

I don't know that you ever quite get used to some of the strange stuff even after seeing a bunch of series, but it at least becomes a bit less shocking.

(Case in point: there's a show this season where a girl feeds a guy her own drool as some sort of drug. Yet again, WTF Japan.)

Editstuffs: I don't think there's really a huge obsession with turning stuff grimdark, at least not when it comes to that srot of series; I think Madoka is pretty much the first show out there to take a magical girl series in that direction. There does seem to be somewhat more "depression for depression's sake" in anime than in Western entertainment as a whole, though.

Madoka's popularity is for pretty much the same reason as Eva - it's a deconstruction of a popular and widespread genre. Not only that but for those of us who watched it not knowing what was to come (especially those of us who watched it during its original run), it started as a mundane Magical Girl anime and the transition to deconstruction was a huge shock which made it all the more entertaining to watch.

Most importantly, it's a deconstruction that took a genre that's become extremely cliche and added an element of 'realism' to the concept rather than leaving it all rainbows and sunshine. To be able to say 'what's wrong with a universe that isn't cold and dark' you can't have watched the entire PreCure franchise or similar. There's only so much sparkles and friendship that can be stomached before a change is required.

Why exactly shouldn't some series be grimdark? Unless your sole reason for watching anime is escapism, there's no reason why entertainment can't be had from intelligently thought out plots and twists where there are consequences for actions as opposed to superficial stories which lack the means to draw you in because there's never really any danger.

Madoka is pretty decent, but I don't think it's quite as good as the hype makes it out to be.

I mean, it's good and a good deconstruction (though the amount of times that word is thrown around in this context kind of lessens its meaning). It's a nice take on a sort of Faustian bargain sort of tale.

But like, towards the end it becomes kind of like FRIENDSHIP WILL PREVAIL

So it's like "it's been building up to this?"

As I said, it's a good series and i liked the question it posed "How far can you go to prevent suffering before you begin to contribute to it yourself?"

I was remiss during the OP discussion page in not mentioning my absolute, one hundred percent favorite OP of any OP ever:

Boobs aside, the theme is so fun and catchy that I've had it stuck in my head for days and not regretted a single second.

While I like the Gainax-infused style of the RE;Cutie Honey,

, if only for the OP having weirdo Road-Warrioresque bad guys.

I mean, lol, it's Go Nagai so it's pretty tasteless but some fun moments.

Like Iron Virgin Jun.

Plot:

A princess doesn't want to get married so she runs away from home. Her butch mother reasons it's because she doesn't want sex so she hires mercenary rapists with mechanical codpieces to rape her, but because like, she's super strong and shit (like, a real fucking musclegirl, ha ha) she always beats them off... wait that didn't come out right.

Edited by EC2151

Top Gun: I was referring to grimdark in general, not anime specifically (or magical girl anime even more specifically). I just don't see the attraction of grimdark things at all.

Moomba: Grimdark annoys me because it leaves nothing to look forward to. Either everyone's an asshole (so you don't care who wins, because things will be terrible no matter what) or the good guys are completely screwed (so you don't care what happens because there's no way it can end well for them -- barring an unsatisfying deus ex machina, at least, which I gather is the route Madoka Magica went). I don't mind dark things happening in a work, but I do mind the sort of all-consuming cynicism that refuses to let characters be sympathetic or heroes have even a chance of prevailing.

Ya know, grimdark and deconstruction aside, I honestly really loved the show myself quite simply for the visuals. I thought they were really interesting, and I had never seen anything like it - I'm sure there are others out there that do it and may even do better, but that novelty really pulled me in.

Grimdark doesn't necessarily bother me. I understand what you are saying, and I can see why it bothers you, but it just isn't something that gets under my skin. I'm far more tired of Western television cliche like drama and soaps like Eastenders and whatnot for it to bug me, so at this point, I can live with it.

the grimdark was so unexpected, even for me since i didnt know anything about magical girl series and stuff. just thought it was going to end up being cute girls doing cute magical things with some abstract stuff thrown in there. but dark plots are always interesting. i almost cried like a baby, and thats crazy since i didnt cry at all during clannad

shaft is awesome though, just about to finish up pani poni dash today. then onto the hidamari sketch series. so much moe so little time.