Anime

Darker than Black will change your life. It's phenomenal. Watch it right now.

Baaaahh I CAN'T! It's not on any of my TV services right now - it was taken off Netflix and it's not on Crunchroll either.

I ended up starting Gardenia on the Verdurant, or whatever that title is. I enjoyed the first 4 episodes and I think I'll continue.

I'll definitely check out Log Horizon. I liked Sword Art Online, but I thought it was a great example of how to complete a wonderful story arc in a really satisfying way...but then continue anyway for 8 episodes with 70% less tension.

So Darker than Black WAS on Hulu, thank you very much. I'm about 12 episodes in. I kind of have the same problem as I did with Cowboy Bebop in that it's too episodic. Before you jump up my ass for criticizing EPISODES for being EPISODIC, I'll say that I love anime that has broader story arcs that eventually play way more of a part than the individual episodes. This series seems to focus on 2-episode arcs and then ignore the results.

I know better than to judge an anime before I've completed it, so I'll finish it, but that's my feelings midway. It's cool, and I won't consider it wasted time even if it continues in this way. I have a feeling it'll pan out - there are far too many unanswered questions for them to continue ignoring them and focusing on seemingly unrelated shorter stories.

Strangely, I also have been watching this subbed. I typically like dubbed, because the Japanese version of acting, in my opinion, is just too intense and over the top (a la Attack on Titan where everyone screamed everything). But the American voice actors on this one just weren't convincing to me. I like that Hulu gave me the option to try both.

My wife and I just got done with two marathons of Michiko To Hatchin and my GOD, I haven't been this frustrated with an anime in recent memory.

I won't spoil anything, but I feel like the whole adventure was just pointless. It's so absorbed in trying to create this fight for everyone, the lowly peasants, thieves, and highly disadvantaged stuck in a gang world gone mad, that when it came down to where everything finally needed to resolve itself to make the intense suffering and loss worth it, it wasn't. Very much I felt like this show was some sort of modern-day Brazil version of Samurai Champloo, and maybe it was supposed to explore the inverse of that ending where the journey did not come to a satisfying end, but it still pisses me off quite a bit.

More so than Cowboy Bebop and Champloo, it went to great lengths to create these very complicated and rich characters, gold emotional content and really make me feel for everyone in it. If it was trying to go for a "realistic" ending, I ask what the point of the unrealistic struggle was to get there. I was strung along like a horse hypnotized by a carrot. Many unanswered questions, loose threads, and gaps. None of the characters seemed to get very far or were that better off than they started. What was the point?

I appreciate when I get the ending I don't expect, but I don't appreciate not getting the ending I want.

Alright, I'm done. I just needed to get that out. I really did get absorbed in that world and man does it make me mad to still have so many gaps and promises for fulfillment without being fulfilled.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just finished Black Butler, Legend of the Legendary Heroes, and Sword Art Online.

I really liked Sword Art Online. I did find the ALO section a bit tedious, but I don't think it made me like it any less. Plus, I was impressed at how many clichés and tropes they actually managed to avoid. Highly recommended.

Legend of the Legendary Heroes was a little strange, but had some nice charm to it. Unfortunately, only one season was made and so the show ends with the reveal of the big bad. :(

Black Butler is some dark dark shit. Hilarious in many ways and there's a ton of joking constantly, but damn. And the ending, damn. Not sure I actually liked it or not. Not sure if I can recommend it at all.

I just watched Occult Academy, and good Lord, I hadn't had the feels for an anime that strong in a long time.

With my new Roku, I plan to engorge myself on many anime series I've missed. I've recently seen Hellsing, Witch Hunter Robin, Blood+, Descendants of Darkness, Chrno Crusade... actually, pretty much every anime I've been watching recently has all had the same basic plot of quasi-government organizations trying to fight paranormal forces and keep the public from being aware of them.

How did I do that?

Just finished Black Butler, Legend of the Legendary Heroes, and Sword Art Online.

I really liked Sword Art Online. I did find the ALO section a bit tedious, but I don't think it made me like it any less. Plus, I was impressed at how many clichés and tropes they actually managed to avoid. Highly recommended.

Legend of the Legendary Heroes was a little strange, but had some nice charm to it. Unfortunately, only one season was made and so the show ends with the reveal of the big bad. :(

Black Butler is some dark dark shit. Hilarious in many ways and there's a ton of joking constantly, but damn. And the ending, damn. Not sure I actually liked it or not. Not sure if I can recommend it at all.

Yeah, SOA was good. From what I had heard, the second season was the apocalypse, and it wasn't bad.

SAO is great. Well, more of the first season, personally.

Really didn't like the second season. We went from a badass Asuna to a helpless fairy Asuna who's trapped in a parlor owned by a pervert that just wants to touch her boobs.

Yeah I thought that was sorta bs.

My girlfriend is freaking out because Fairy Tail just popped back up again. Never got into Fairy Tail. Any good?

Really didn't like the second season. We went from a badass Asuna to a helpless fairy Asuna who's trapped in a parlor owned by a pervert that just wants to touch her boobs.

Yeah I thought that was sorta bs.

My girlfriend is freaking out because Fairy Tail just popped back up again. Never got into Fairy Tail. Any good?

Yeah, I was annoyed at the kidnap the princess shit in the ALO section, but honestly she was still freaking competent in that situation.

Fairy Tail is good, but kinda in the way One Piece is good. It's just fun and I love how much fun it pokes at itself. Plus, Celtic music. :D

Yeah, I was annoyed at the kidnap the princess shit in the ALO section, but honestly she was still freaking competent in that situation.

Fairy Tail is good, but kinda in the way One Piece is good. It's just fun and I love how much fun it pokes at itself. Plus, Celtic music. :D

Ooooo, Celtic music!

Dang, might have to do this now...

I have no memory of that scene.

It's near the end of season 2. It's not really rape. It's getting there, but it doesn't quite reach the hentai level. It's when those two weird creatures catch Asuna trying to escape and they start messing with her.

And this is why I didn't like season 2. It seemed like quite a few characters just wanted to molest Asuna. Ha.

This. I SO wish I had just turned off the series, because the first season was very powerful; the last episode was great. I was totally and utterly confused when I realized that there were more episodes afterwards, and utterly disappointed for the entirety of it. But I will recommend season 1 to anyone, anyday.

This. I SO wish I had just turned off the series, because the first season was very powerful; the last episode was great. I was totally and utterly confused when I realized that there were more episodes afterwards, and utterly disappointed for the entirety of it. But I will recommend season 1 to anyone, anyday.

Yeah, in fact, I sorta skipped around in Season 2. Not only was it kinda stupid, it was kinda boring too. And maybe I'm just really sensitive, but honestly considering the whole entire first season, the last or maybe second-to-last episode in season 2 (the molesting scene) was completely unnecessary and random and basically didn't even seem like something to put in SAO. It was going way overboard.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go look into Fairy Tail now, I think Celtic music sold it for me. My girlfriend was like "so you'd watch it... just for the theme." "If it's a good song, then yeah."

Oh yeah, that's one other thing about SAO. SAO's season 1 theme was freaking epic. SAO's season 2 theme was really disappointing and poopy. Same with the season 2 credits song.

I just bought the theme of season 1. That was actually my very first purchase of a J-Pop song, cuz I never really got into J-Pop like many have apparently hahaha

Does anyone else think "Crossing Field" (the intro theme of SAO season 1) sounds a lot like Sonic? Specifically something from Sonic Adventure 2? More specifically like "Live and Learn"?

Edited by Garrett Williamson

If you bitches aren't watching JoJo's part 3 right now I just don't even know what the fuck

d7d4a0a123b0a3c295244dd82654ac451358958018_full.jpg

SERIOUSLY WATCH THIS EVERYBODY

AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT CATCH UP ON THE FIRST SEASON

Having no knowledge of said series, I looked it up on wikipedia. "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" sounds... intriguing. How bizarre is it really?

Having no knowledge of said series, I looked it up on wikipedia. "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" sounds... intriguing. How bizarre is it really?

Very bizarre, but extremely good once you get into it

It's basically a fabulous version of Castlevania mixed with Fist of the North Star interspersed with copious amounts of real life science, politics, and other pithy facts

and LOTS of hammy acting

and the poses

cover.jpg

JUST LOOK AT THE POSES

manga is definitely a worthwhile read, and the ongoing anime adaptations is doing it some serious justice

• 2 months later...