Anime

He's pissed off you hate what he likes, so he took a piss on your grammar.

actually I'm correcting his grammar because rampant anti-intellectualism socially dictates that it go uncorrected, because it's more important to not be seen as an egghead with "no life" then it is for people to actually be competent with the language that they speak

the manner in which I execute the corrections is steeped in the idea that people will not ever try to change themselves if they don't feel bad about whatever needs the changing - to that effect, nobody will ever put forth the effort to actually be able to read and write competently if nobody stops and calls them a worthless illiterate fuck every once and a while

also

Sir...do you have nothing better to do than worry about these kinds of things?

you're posting on an internet forum about whether or not you like evangelion; I could crack a stirring joke about how you have enough free time with your wretched little life to both watch through anime series and complain to random strangers about how you don't like them, but I won't, because I haven't considered "get a life" to be an actual insult or riposte since tenth fucking grade

also!

But seriously Deathnote is the only good anime.

saying death note is the only good anime is like saying twilight is the only good book

the manner in which I execute the corrections is steeped in the idea that people will not ever try to change themselves if they don't feel bad about whatever needs the changing - to that effect, nobody will ever put forth the effort to actually be able to read and write competently if nobody stops and calls them a worthless illiterate fuck every once and a while

You're moving society forward one post at a time, truly.

On a less overly sarcastic note, I do admire your proper use of "effect". I'm not sure if I'm supposed to put my quotations before or after the period, though.

saying death note is the only good anime is like saying twilight is the only good book

Well no. Only Song of Ice and Fire is a good book.

On a less overly sarcastic note, I do admire your proper use of "effect". I'm not sure if I'm supposed to put my quotations before or after the period, though.

The period is "supposed" to go inside the quotation marks; but I almost always ignore that rule, myself, since I view it as analogous to putting a mathematical equals sign inside of a set of parentheses.

The period is "supposed" to go inside the quotation marks; but I almost always ignore that rule, myself, since I view it as analogous to putting a mathematical equals sign inside of a set of parentheses.

I thought so, and I hate that rule. It logically makes no sense to me, and it looks ridiculous.

Anime and grammar. This is serious business.

actually I'm correcting his grammar because rampant anti-intellectualism socially dictates that it go uncorrected, because it's more important to not be seen as an egghead with "no life" then it is for people to actually be competent with the language that they speak

also

you're posting on an internet forum about whether or not you like evangelion; I could crack a stirring joke about how you have enough free time with your wretched little life to both watch through anime series and complain to random strangers about how you don't like them, but I won't, because I haven't considered "get a life" to be an actual insult or riposte since tenth fucking grade

also!

Piss off, Bleck. You're just trying to prove to yourself that you're smarter than, or superior to everyone else by belittling every opinion, thought, idea etc. that you don't like or agree with. You ALWAYS do that and people like you online are almost always impossible to get along with in real life because of your ego. An ego which they never deserve at that. I kinda like Evangelion. I said that most anime I have "seen" I do not like and I do not care for the art style. That doesn't mean I hate all of it. Your hostility is uncalled for and for someone who pretends to be so damn smart, your head seems to be so firmly inserted into your ass that I doubt Bruce Banner on steroids would be able to dislodge it. Nobody gives two shits what I or what you say, or how grammatically correct it is. Your idea that attempting to make someone "feel bad" about what needs changing is completely stupid and does nothing to combat anti-intellectualism, it just makes you look like an asshole.

ANYWAY

I have heard many positive words for "Jin-Roh: The Wolf-Brigade" and "Grave of the fireflies". I don't trust "professional" reviews though. Have you guys saw them and what did you think?

Evangelion was a great setup. They did a pretty great job... right up until the end, when it did the equivalent of ding-dong-ditch and threw any good ending ideas out with the trash. Pretty disappointing to me, and I suspect it may be either part of the cause or just following the trend of animes that try to have overly philosophical endings.

Darker than Black did something similar; despite the superb quality of the rest of the series, and all the conclusions they could have given it, they chose to go a route that didn't really tie up loose ends that well, and instead trying to sound profound. Those types of endings just usually don't end up that deep; it's like jumping into the 13-foot end of a pool only to find out the water's only 3 feet deep. Perhaps it's because they don't take the time to write the endings beforehand, or because they're forced to write an ending for an ongoing manga.

Evangelion was a great setup. They did a pretty great job... right up until the end, when it did the equivalent of ding-dong-ditch and threw any good ending ideas out with the trash. Pretty disappointing to me, and I suspect it may be either part of the cause or just following the trend of animes that try to have overly philosophical endings.

Darker than Black did something similar; despite the superb quality of the rest of the series, and all the conclusions they could have given it, they chose to go a route that didn't really tie up loose ends that well, and instead trying to sound profound. Those types of endings just usually don't end up that deep; it's like jumping into the 13-foot end of a pool only to find out the water's only 3 feet deep. Perhaps it's because they don't take the time to write the endings beforehand, or because they're forced to write an ending for an ongoing manga.

Well, that's disappointing. I'm only 10 episodes or so away from the end of the series I think.

Darker than Black was a great anime overall, though I'm not a huge fan of the second series and how they decided to portray Hei. I'm also not sure why they didn't air the OVAs of the events that happened between the first series and the second series... between the first series and the second series. It would probably have made a lot more sense. The end of the second series was especially irksome, mostly because it seemed partially like a cliffhanger ending and yet we're probably never going to get a resolution.

Personally, I think the period being outside of quotations looks a bit sloppy. :whatevaa: For me, it's almost a, "oh wait, I forgot something," and it's just stuck on the end. Don't compare math and grammar, by the way; they're two different things entirely. Besides, the equals sign isn't even really comparable to a period; it's more of a verb. I can't think of a single symbol comparable to a period.

On the subject of anime: Nisemonogatari episode 8, what the heck did I just watch?!?! :shock:

On the subject of anime: Nisemonogatari episode 8, what the heck did I just watch?!?! :shock:

Still waiting to hear from people whether or not it actually works... I'm placing money on not.

I'm probably alone in this out of people who actually like the -monogatari series, but I vastly prefered Bakemonogatari to Nisemonogatari so far. Nise seems to have degenerated to being mostly fanservice and the dialogue isn't quite as witty anywhere near as often as Bakemonogatari was.

Must have felt dirty to have been compelled to explain that.

When I've seen "that I have saw" I thought my english was about to get kicked in the mouth, but soon realized that I was still okay. Damn Canadians ;P

For real I thought Evangelion had a great ending but it's been like 5 years since I watched the series. Is "You can (not) advance" any good ?

Capeta was a cool little anime.

the new evangelion movies are secretly a sequel

the 'reimagining' is all just a cover up

This is actually my theory as well.

E: as for timelines, I believe it goes TV up to about the weird crap, then EoE begins, human instrumentality happens and when everyone gets absorbed that's when the weird as hell last two episodes happen - they're not part of the series proper, but rather a view of instrumentality itself. Then the end of EoE happens, some stuff goes down(??) and somehow everything gets reset. Then the movies happen. This is backed up by some of Kaworu's statements.

DOUBLE E: i wish i could forget everything about evangelion

3xE: please do not follow down my path of misery and do not watch this show!! do not get caught up with it!!

Edited by eilios

Finished watching .hack//SIGN this week. I remembered watching it when it was on CN years ago, but I was too young back then to really appreciate it (not to mention, I never did see the ending until now). Good anime, but don't expect really anything as far as action goes, because there's essentially none. It's an extremely dialogue-centric, character-focused show, and it doesn't go out of its way to explain everything to you. Things aren't tied up in a neat little bow by the end, either. Personally, I liked that about it.

There were points where I wished they'd have delved into certain issues a bit more, but overall it's a very solid anime. I think the music is great, too, particularly Yasashii Yoake (the ending theme) and Fake Wings (Subaru's theme).

Edited by HalcyonSpirit