OCR01114 - Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix "4F73R M3"

djpretzel

I really like this mix. The piano, electronic and otherwise, is well executed, and the rhyming, while a bit cheesy, draws me into the song well. I also though the simple text "S-G-X-X-X, M-C..." was a nice touch. Overall, fun to listen to, and generally cool. A good ReMix for a good song. Highly reccomended, especially for DDR fans.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Love the rapping SGX. I even love the distortion effects over-top of your voice. The techno effects and strings and beats really get the party going.

If only I could have reviewed this at VGmix, I would have given it Stuff of the Legends right there.

A Classic!

EDIT: I think it's the relation of the strings and the beats that hold this mix together. Good stuff.

heh some things i liked in this song: the beginning, the middle, the end. some things i didnt like in this song: *thinks for a few days* ah, the drum beat.... later in the song after SGX says "JUMP JUMP JUMP DDR" theres a wierd little part in the drums.... the drums stop during the JJJDDR part, but then after that they do a little double-triplet-double thing... it just doesnt seem to fit in the song... oh well (sry, im a drummer... i gotta be the best i can be hehe) but hey... this song is still on my 'very strangely large list of extremely good songs' list.... all in all, just get the damn song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i suck at ddr just like most peeps,even though i took hiphop dance lessons for a year when i was 15,it doesn't prepare you for wat u gotta do on a ddr game, about sgx's rappin, the lyrics might be chessey sure,but this is ddr he's rappin about so wat do u expect? no one is gonna go platinum like eminem rappin about ddr,but anyways. i give u biggg props sgx,big props. u did this remix justice. i love it!

peace and stay frosty!

• 3 years later...

I have to admit I wasn't sure what to expect when listening to this, and I'm still not sure what to think other than I might like this. I had to go back and check against the source because I'm not to familiar with it, and wow... Seeing where it was versus seeing it now. I have to admit this track is highly impressive. This mix of strings and techno works so strangely together and yet works beautifully. To misquote Yahtzee, download and listen to this because you aren't going to find anything else like it.

• 5 months later...

I didn't frown while listening to this, so I guess that the advertising is legit. I think the string stabs are a little slow on the attack, but this is a really nice rendition to a theme I have spent countless quarters "dancing" to. :-)

Beats sounded good, rapping was passable, and the synths were nice. The transition into the modulation was excellent, and I really dug that double triplet in the drums; it really caught my attention.

Nice work from an awesome mixer. :-)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01114 - Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix "4F73R M3"
  • 3 years later...

I have a bit of mixed feelings for this.  The original has dancing ingrained into me so much that it feels like a travesty to be playing the song at this slower pace.

This remix does what a remix should do though, and so it's hard to say that it is "bad" because of that.  It's just me, I guess; I can't enjoy it like I should because the pace is killing me.

• 3 years later...

"PLAY."

Every now and then, a ReMix comes along that has what I call an "OCR Moment", a nugget of brilliance that instantly hooks itself into the memory and lasts forever. 4F73R M3's opening is one such OCR Moment for me.

That Speak & Spell commanding to "PLAY" and then MC does, and oh boy he does. He starts on that anacrusis to give energy and momentum and then plays that shimmering piano solo that just builds and builds and builds, opening the gates for SGX to slide in with a reverse cymbal and totally subvert it into that amazing bass and hi-hat groove, attacking strings and then response-and-call with a flutey lead. Wow. Just wow.

That is an OCR Moment.

And then the rapping in homage to the original B4U? And slowing down the tempo compared to the original to let the music breathe and give time to appreciate the melody? Genius. Just genius.

It's a pity that this is MC's last entry in the catalog, but what a ReMix to bow out on.