OCR01116 - Secret of Mana "Beyond Comprehension"

djpretzel

...I really can't think of anything special about this mix. It just sounds so WIP-ish, compared to most of the other mixes on the site. No real direction, minimal dynamic variation, some off-key-sounding segments, and an unresolved ending for no apparent reason to top it all off. Even a fadeout would have alleviated the incomplete feeling a little.

I think my favorite part, though, was the pitch bends at :27 and other similar places. Those were pretty cool.

Other than that, it was pretty neat, although not completely groundbreaking. I recommend Secret of Mana fans give it a listen or two.

Well this is an interesting piece, it has many good points to it, such as the seemless flow, or the dramatic beggining, but it seems to be missing something that I cant put my finger on. Dont get me wrong I think it a great mix, and ill probably put this on my regular list, it just seems to drag on too much half way through the song....

Oh well, they all cant be perfectly awesome, with a bit of ridiculously sweet on the side now can they?

i love the mana fortress theme. i find your remix quite cool too, but probably im exspecting something closer to the original because i like it that much. well, thats my fault. the drum programming you did is very wild and cool, i dont think it fits in that well when it gets wild, but it rocks :)

what i really miss is that part

http://www.leoloewe.net/abi2005.de/upload/givelove

to me this ending/ last part before looping was the most outstanding thing of the tune, but i cant think of a way to include it when i look at the different mood of your version.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

It disturbed me a little that I haven't reviewed this remix, I downloaded it a year ago and my opinion haven't changed a bit. For having piano in it, it sure sounds alot. Beats, hard drums and rough synths fills the air between my speakers and ears, and at some points it just sounds chaotic. However, I somehow like the sudden switches between piano pop and synthic roughness, especially the change-over at 2:22, the melody turns onto a new course and then the beats and synth tags along. It's both beautiful and annoying at times, but mostly pretty good, very good if I might say.

This is WIP-material that crossed the border to OCR land, it is where this piece belongs. Nice work, Noods! :D

• 1 year later...

A little rough around the edges in a few spots, with some sections which really need some filling out, but it does have a certain charm that makes it good enough. I agree that it does tend to drag a bit and suffer from a bit too much cutting and pasting, but it's otherwise a good track.

I like the crunched beats throughout and if the piano isn't exposed, it sounds really nice; the beginning notwithstanding.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

While this mix never stood out to me, it certainly has a decent number of good things going on for it. The writing is pretty solid for what it's done, though it does get repetitive after a while. The bass slides are pretty cool, easily what I think is the best part of the mix. For the most part the percussion does a decent job of backing up the mix (couple times where they are overwhelming, a bit). I would have liked some bigger changes throughout to keep my attention a little better, and things overall could have used some smoothing out, but this one is by no means a bad listen.

The beats are really good when they get going, I'll give this mix that! The non-electronic instruments start off feeling really rough but they get better. It actually grew on me as I listened to it more and the song gained a bit more depth, though the articulation on the bells and piano still feels really robotic.

Not a bad song by any means, though it feels like it needs a bit of polishing around the edges to make it really stand out.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01116 - Secret of Mana "Beyond Comprehension"