Metroid Prime - D-Corrupted

rig1015

Sounds pretty thick in the low region, needs some cleaning up there. Dunno if EQ is gonna do it, but if EQ ain't enough, there's side-chaining and stuff to try.

Also seems to try to get a groove going but doesn't quite get there. You have a 6/4 pattern in a 4/4 song, which might work as a fill when all the tracks are in on it, but doesn't work imo when the hhats and bass disagree on time sig.

Source is there, not sure it's enough for Larry's stopwatch criterion.

It's pretty heavy on the reverb, makes it messy. You might want to separate the tracks a bit more to keep it clean, and/or drop the reverb a bit.

Other than that, this is a pretty cool dance track. Keep working on it. The Prime series needs more love.

MP3 - D-Corrupted (Pop-up)

Trance / Dance Remix of the opening theme from Prime 3- Corruption.

On my checklist of things to work on:

-Transitions need love

-Drums patterns need to be diversified with ad-lib's

-Add cymbal washes

Edit: Starts @ ~0:07

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY SOMEONE ELSE DOING A PRIME REMIX.

Onto the crit:

Well first of all your choir sound is really... fake-ish. And the rhythm is completely different from the drum (not in the sense of time signature, but it sounds like you created a drum beat, and then you just pasted it together. Doesn't really fit, ya know)

All of your sounds are kinda fake-ish for the first half.

I liked when you got to the actual theme, but it sounded just like the source. I like when it got to the trance though. HOWEVER

A very recurring problem is your rhythm, your leads and your drums don't sound very cooperative with each other.

Other than that, this is a pretty cool dance track. Keep working on it. The Prime series needs more love.

I agree *nodnod*

It's no fair Shariq gets the credit for doing Metroid Prime remixes, it's no help that his little brother gets it either.

We need more people (unrelated by blood is preferred) on the Prime Soundtrack. :/

Some of the "fakey" sounding stuff is 100% deliberate; ie. the signature Prime-Sine (whistle), as well as the choir, those are suppose to sound that way.

The sense of rhythmic errors with the choir can be attributed to the slow attack on the ADSR. As for the other time issues I used a 96bpm loops on a 135bpm track :-P.

ALL my drums were loops placed to give me sense or over-all arrangement I have NO intention on keeping them... *ponders* ... maybe the kick. I compose that way, building around the drums; helps me keep a sense of "dance" arrangement.

Thanks for the crit on the reverb- totally hear it now; excellent example of listening fatigue.

I'll update soon.

Some of the "fakey" sounding stuff is 100% deliberate; ie. the signature Prime-Sine (whistle), as well as the choir, those are suppose to sound that way.

The sense of rhythmic errors with the choir can be attributed to the slow attack on the ADSR. As for the other time issues I used a 96bpm loops on a 135bpm track :-P.

ALL my drums were loops placed to give me sense or over-all arrangement I have NO intention on keeping them... *ponders* ... maybe the kick. I compose that way, building around the drums; helps me keep a sense of "dance" arrangement.

Thanks for the crit on the reverb- totally hear it now; excellent example of listening fatigue.

I'll update soon.

It still doesn't help the fact that it sounds like the same exact thing as the source in those parts I mentioned.

Sounds to me like you actually "remixed" it; used the source and built around it. Also, I don't really like the appearance of the theme because it's sped up insanely. If you like it, keep it, but my suggestion is that you keep it at the regular speed of the source. 2:30 and beyond is golden.

Everything before1:04: ... Not very good, sounds generic/cliche. (Like something you'd find in every electronica intro)

3:55: Here is the part where you would use a different drumbeat. Something that fits the odd rhythm of your sped up theme... try removing the bass synths and place a slower drumbeat, but keep the arpeggiated background synths.

woah I missed this one. MP 3 for the win!

Okay, let's see...

seems to be some dissonance with the choris and the bassline - it may be just me being picky, but seems off to me. Good beat though. And the filter FX are pretty sweet - is that sidechaining btw?

Anyhoo, I LOVE THE SECOND PART, with the high range choir and alien sounds...man sends chills down my spine. Havn't had a song do that to me in a long time haha. So yeah this is pretty hawt, just the first section with the chords is my only issue.

REFINE AND SUBMIT

:nicework:

Agreeing with Hoboka, gave me the chills too : )

It's been said before, but the bassline has problems with the rest of the groove, it's very disturbing, even as an arrangement test and is very apparent in the first part.

The second part...well all I heard was the chillsending leads and synths, which I really liked : D

Good job. Refine it : )

woah I missed this one. MP 3 for the win!

Okay, let's see...

seems to be some dissonance with the choris and the bassline - it may be just me being picky, but seems off to me. Good beat though. And the filter FX are pretty sweet - is that sidechaining btw?

Anyhoo, I LOVE THE SECOND PART, with the high range choir and alien sounds...man sends chills down my spine. Havn't had a song do that to me in a long time haha. So yeah this is pretty hawt, just the first section with the chords is my only issue.

REFINE AND SUBMIT

:nicework:

HoboKa stop acting like a judge. xD

It's not like he doesn't have other problems to fix too.:tomatoface:

I stand by my statement:

Everything up to 1:04 sounds like something in every electronica song... that might be fine, I'm just not a fan of trance remixes (the ones that are on the site are good, but the genre itself is a bit overdone).

First appearance of the theme is too fast, otherwise if you like it no problems.

2:30 & beyond: golden until 3:55, the rhythm is a bit messy but you already said you were workin with that.

And I agree with HoboKa and Skyway on that bass chorus thing.

UPDATE:

Second Pass at the track. (6 more studio hours)

The bass line.... yeah... 3/2 on top of 4/4 sounds weird to everyone huh? I understand because because you're getting three notes in two beats- damn dotted syncopation! :-P

Added ambiance (thunder rolls, gong washes, etc.)

Worked on my drums (this will be pass 2... I normally do about 4 passes)

Mixed and EQ'd "tighter"

Worked on transitions.

I'm still not liking the climax... it just doesn't feel explosive enough for MY DJ Trance/Dance ear... I think I should add a stinger on a 8 count hold just before the boom.

HoboKa- no worries... it is still a WIP :-o

Edit:

And the filter FX are pretty sweet - is that sidechaining btw

I used a 3 stage filter (MIDI controlled) on the ES2 synth.

I'm always trying to make the tracks I remix sound like something you could honestly and/or suddenly hear a DJ play in club... 'Cause honestly, could you freak out anymore than if you suddenly heard a beyond-hype-trance-version of a Zelda or Metorid theme play while you're having a great night clubbing?! A little esoteric, but screw it, you enjoyed it... and as long as everyone else kept dancing... WHO CARES! :-P:-o

• 3 weeks later...

No you completely misunderstood that. XD

When you introduce the theme at 1:13, the THEME ITSELF is too fast! It makes the choir sound fake, in fact it sounds too fake. It may be deliberate, but the fact is that it doesn't go well with other parts, like that slow drum beat (nice touch BTW)

So it doesn't sound like a choir, sounds like a synth, so you should either replace it with a synth or make it the same speed as the game.

Not talking about the tempo, I'm talking about the MELODY itself.

2:28- 3:54 is the rich chocolate (I find it tasty. Not only because it's the best part but because it's a GREAT, catchy, dancy, trancy piece of sweet milky chocolate), now work on the stuff before and after it (mostly before) for that nice golden wrapper that children love tearing open like a pack of savage wolves. T_T

2:28 - 3:54 = TWO THUMBS UP d-(^.^)-b

But that's not my point. :tomatoface::tomatoface::tomatoface:

You don't make an instrument sound fake on purpose

you can make it sound like something else (like how Shariq turns a choir into a rock organ)

but it's not good to just make it sound fake.

Just because something's intentional doesn't mean it good.

I could make the worst remix in the world and say "It's supposed to sound bad!" so what? Still doesn't sound good. (Don't even take that in the wrong context. Your mix is not the worst in the world)

But that's not my point.

You don't make an instrument sound fake on purpose

you can make it sound like something else (like how Shariq turns a choir into a rock organ)

but it's not good to just make it sound fake.

Just because something's intentional doesn't mean it good.

I could make the worst remix in the world and say "It's supposed to sound bad!" so what? Still doesn't sound good. (Don't even take that in the wrong context. Your mix is not the worst in the world)

:-P Love it, no worries.

I'm recording a church choir Gothic style for the project so f*ck it. :-P