OCR01117 - Street Fighter Alpha 2 "Kasugano (Booty Mix)"

djpretzel

A nice little mix with all the elements in the right place. It brings the funk, the NRG, and the grooviness, with Sakura samples thrown in for good measure. (Which I generally liked more than hated, actually) The end was awesome, except I think the laugh was a little much. I think it would've sounded better ending on her victory phrase alone. But overall this mix really has a lot goin on and keeps the interest well. :nicework:

at first i was ultimately dissappointed with how the B section of the song was handled, keeping the same bass line and chord progression as the A section, making me feel like it was in the wrong... then the bridge hits us with the True section B which sen me goin on my "oh yeah" vibe. and as far as the voices go... ::sniffle:: i love them... I love Sakura, I lust after her, i wish she was real, which is why I seek a shortish japanese girlfriend with a loose understanding of shotokan karate and a fiery attitude :) ::drool::

this mix is the embodiment of sex, featuring Sakura :) good work.

::edit:: I feel very happy to hear someone else bringing forth the Hand Clap love :) hear I thought i was the only one who still cared.

Many times funjob! sweet lord this is a listenable peice. this easily goes into my file folder of "not crap" remixes. Instead i think i will make a new folder dedicated to sakura mixes.

Loud+agile+cute+japanese+house+funk guitar= sexy

i was amazed when i first heard this. this is high quality house groove here. Im impressed, and a nice job with the distorted guitar near the end too. I was kinda disappointed with the melody though. There wasnt too much inspiration in it, and the piano just felt out of place. maybe if it were a synth? or maybe if the piano had harmony. it sounded too dry.

I also have to complain about the beat. It's house, but the beat just doesnt seem to grab me. It sounds to repeatative and too plain. its NOT bad, dont get me wrong. some of my beats end up the same sometimes. But as the rest of the remix's calibur is concerned, the beat just seemed to be overshadowed like the piano (while listening to the remix, i was able to compose another house beat in my head).

I was also going to do a sakura alpha2 remix, but i dont think it can compare to this. this is good stuff.

I love the vocal edits btw. really good job!

I always liked Sakura's theme (espically the version with vocals from Super Puzzle Fighter). this was good. i, for one, i'm not really into this type of music, but it caught me and i liked it.

as for the voice samples. hey, they're helluva alot better than those on that one Cammy Theme remix on here... at least i think so.

good job. :D

EDIT: i wonder if anyone will make this into a song to play on Stepmania or DWI.

Yeah, I enjoyed this (listening to it now). I usually get put off by the overused house beat but I don't really notice it so much in this mix. Of course I love the vocals, I knew I would as soon as pretzel mentioned them - I'm a sucker for that sorta thing. They add a great deal of fun to the piece. Incidentally, Coutney Pine also uses Street Fighter vocals in one of his tracks so you're in good company :)

Very neat mix. This is definitely danceable stuff. My only complaint was the opening drums. After the lead-in, I was thinking "Hey, this is going to be a bigbeat/breakbeat/trance/techno thing!" but it, shortly after bringing in the funk guitar, turned disco and was fantastic after that. The voices didn't really bother me.

The piano's a nice touch, and I like this song. I'm still a little curious why the electronic feel was given to the opening of an otherwise funky song. It felt out of place. Otherwise, really cool mix.

At first I really didn't pay that much attention to it... but second time I kinda got into the whole groove thing. I like how it starts at 0:29 ... and it just GOES AND GOES from there on.

I can't even recall how many times I've minimized my assignment on Word to listen to this :lol:

Good job! 8)

Well, once again Marc Star has delivered something brilliant and unique.

Alright, im starting with the guitar samples. Amazing as always, it certainly sounds quite real, i can barely tell it's not recorded. All the samples are in fact very good, which is appreciated. The overall Sakura theme is definately brought out in this style very well, and the voice samples are fun. Many people have found them rather annoying, which i can see why since they are used a lot...but for some reason the more i listen to this song the less redundant they seem, and the more i like them. So, i think they fit nicely and give the song flavor. Lets see...the song as a whole is longer than any other mix you've done which can be taken as good and bad i think. The main pattern in this song is repeated a fair amount of times, maybe too much. There are breaks, which i must say were great, but the patterns keep the same structure and are usually added to the repetetive part after singled out. I'm not complaining about this but saying that it might not be welcomed by everyone. My opinion though is that the song could have been a little shorter, and not repeated as much. Overall, i like this one a lot, but prefer your other mixes...

~Nathan

this is a good mix, I must say. I rarely review, but I think this one is deserving. The song in general is very nice, however it does have its drawbacks. I dont mind the voices sometimes, but then others I really wish that they werent there. Another minor gripe that I have is that I dont think the piano is loud enough. If you would have either varied the voice samples a little bit, or brought the piano up a little bit, this would have been one hell of a contender. Otherwise though, I still would throw you a 90% though, because the guitar after the middle, and the overall presence kick it like it needs to be kicked.

Not bad Mr. Star, I like your other stuff too. You're up there on the list of talented men.

Ok I've heard remixes of Street Fighter from time to time. Sakura is my favorite character (next to Ibuki and Makoto)and her theme is even greater than playing her (not great at SF games). Thus having that said, my expectations are high in judging how a remix of her theme would be done.

I recently bought a new computer with a subwoofer that is really powerful. Listening to this remix's bassline make me feel really nice and cozy because of that techno/HOUSE feel to it. It has two different instruments for bass I believe (I could be wrong) that sound great throughout the track.

Voiceovers..... many SF remixes I have listened to (the Ryu remixes) use the actually yells and screams from the game. I read one review of THIS remix that stated it was opposed to factor. I am against that review in a way though. I thought the voices of Sakura even though slightly repetitive (and repetitveness can be really good if done properly), were in a great rhythmic state. I believe if the bassline was just there, it would sound too dull like something was still missing. I noticed this because the melody doesnt really play with voiceovers, so as result of this there were no interruptions. The timing was great, and her voice is a lot clearer than the game for some reason (I liked the "ha!!" echoes and then the shoken after it).

In overall conclusion to this review the mix seems really decent and is playing for the 50th time on loop(currently as I type) on my winamp player. I love the piano segment and the melody never gets old.^_^. Marc Star made a great addition in the SF remixes, its something new because I stopped listening to those mixes of Ryu. Sakura's theme has that upbeat tune for house music, great for breakdancing too.

Its a great remix and worth it for your ears.

Peace.

PS. This is my first review so I hope you guys can understand my opinions. ^^;;

As one of the judges pointed out (I think it was The Wingless) we have trance up the anus here at the site, but not a whole lot of house, let alone GOOD house. I have some friends here locally that are house djs and this sounds like something they would spin in their set. I liked the voice samples even though I seem to be in the minority here. It captures the essence of house, a booty shakin', slammin' good time. My only complaint is that the piano feels a bit out of place, but I'm not sure what I would have put there instead, so it'll have to do. :)

• 2 months later...

I'm by no means a musical expert and have never posted a review before, but I love good music and know what rocks my socks. First of all, musically, I love the funky house approach. But really, the samples are perfectly selected and implimented. They make the piece so fun and just aren't used enough in fighter game mixes, if you ask me. =D Top notch job, sir!

Oh and djp (if you're reading this), I would definately love to hear your take on any SFA tunage, as you hinted in the comments.

"Go for it, maaaaaaaan!"

Some SFA3 announcer samples would be devine, hint hint. ;)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01117 - Street Fighter Alpha 2 "Kasugano (Booty Mix)"