OCR01883 - Hitman: Codename 47 "Contract Cleaner"

djpretzel

Kind of cheesy, but remixing game music is mostly like that, and I like anyway.

More random (I could go into the positives, but I already said "I like") comments: the transition 2/3 the way through and the abrupt ending are both awkward. And the piano during the ending could have been more to the forefront/clearer. That's about it for the negative, besides potentially being beefier overall. Phat bass and Beatdrop quality needed to be perfectly ideal. Actually this reminds me of Beatdrop's Guardian Legend ReMix once the bass gets deeper and somewhat more when the strings enter. I can hear it being overlaid in a song mashup already!

Some really cool textures and a bunch of really well chosen sounds make this feel very polished right off the bat. Everything clicked well, and though it sounded a bit more upbeat in some sections than you'd expect a hitman game to sound, it still sounds sophisticated and cool.

A few things that seemed overlooked was the lack of a strong transition to the modulation about halfway through made it stick out a bit, and the ending seemed to be abrupt, but overall this was pretty great.

• 2 weeks later...

This has a lot more melody than I was expecting from a game called "Hitman", but I guess that's just me assuming. This has a surprisingly almost triumphant feel to it, which I find pretty neat. The brass hits add a really nice flavor, I'm definately a fan of that.

Overall, I feel like there wasn't much in the way of direction of the piece, but it doesn't bother me that much in the end. Just something I noticed while listening. That and the beginning got just a tad (and I mean a very little) repetative.

Other than that some nice work!

I've not heard the original, so I'm taking this from a completely original-song standpoint. The song, while taking a while to reach the real meat of the mix, is a great moody buildup that plays very well on the somewhat-recognized gypsy scale (I dunno if I'm right in what it's called, but you know what I'm implying!). The drums are crisp, if just a little on the flat side, but I love the snare you used. And when the bass fuzz comes in, followed by the processed drum fill...that was pretty sexy.

The brass is nicely leveled and the bell chime adds a lot to the progression. The production is excellent for the most part. It's a more laid-back groove that makes me think of a CSI cutscene, actually. When it switches up the base chord and the piano starts to play, I really ended up grooving to it.

While not an epic or overly-glamorous mix, this is something I can chill out to and is well above my standards of a well-made song. It is hard for the song to be boring, and while I do have some small problems with it, they don't detract enough to take away from the mix as a whole. Great job!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The percussion's like the ideal employee: happy, busy, no complaints, no need to overcompensate, and maintaining an ingenuous air of professionalism. The initial lead sounds more chill here than in the source, and the electrical bass beat at 0:41-0:50 (and afterwards) reminds me of one of the starting beats in "CMS Level One OC ReMix." 0:52 steps up the action a notch, bringing in Christmas-y bells for sweetening sections from that point on. I love the smarmy lead entering at 2:01 - it knows it doesn't carry the same humble work ethic as the other players, but still grooves with a "holier than thou" smirk on its face. 2:45 takes a step back and reflects by way of a holy-sounding pad, and then the piano from 3:02 onward grounds our senses and guides us to the end.

Suave and high-class.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this one isn't bad. Very simple riffs and beats but you kinda can't help but get into the groove :-) Once the bass picks up and the strings start to come in, it's especially fun! I don't know what you did with the synth that comes in at 2:03, but damn is it good! That's my favorite part of the song :-D

Really, this isn't what I'd call a standout track by any means, but it's got all the makings of a good, unassuming mix that doesn't try to be more than it is, but still throws a lot of cool tricks at the listener with each repeated verse. Everytime I thought this mix had given all it had to give, it threw something new like the piano at me and I just got more into it!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01883 - Hitman: Codename 47 "Contract Cleaner"