Spelunk - Mystic Cave Zone remix

SFtheWolf

Hello! I'm brand new and this is basically my first finished work of any sort. I actually taught myself sequencing with this piece (my background is purely classical cello), so I apologise in advance.

I know it's short, but that's because I originally intended it to be an "arrange", not unlike those on SNK's soundtracks, meaning an updated and higher quality version of the original and suitable for use in the game itself. I may do an extended version some time in the future.

Please be as frank as you want in your feedback, it's the only way I'll learn.

http://www.indabamusic.com/songs/show/143419

Thank you!

Some cool sounds, sequencing sounds cool too. Some cleaning up wouldn't hurt. Methinks you're not aiming for ocr with it, so no worries about it not being an ocr-type arrangement. if you were, then you're probably best off starting from scratch and writing your own arrangement for it, copy-pasting melodies and stuff from this version.

but when it comes to sound, you should read up on EQ and how to give each track their own space. That's the only problem I noticed after one and a half listens. Nice work.

I think Rozo hit it on the head, there. Learn about EQing and such in order to separate the sounds from each other better. Other than that I like what you have. Far too conservative for OC, but again, your not going for that so who cares :<.

I liked the organ and the drums, they made me smile :razz:. Yeah, the only way to learn is to just get out there and do it, so keep making music!

Agreed, overal the sound is very "dull", so to say. When concentrating I can hear the different melodies. Overall what I hear, I like though, so I hope you keep on learning. Make other stuff in the coming time, and when you think you're ready for it go back to this piece and remake it :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Does anyone know of any specific resources for learning how to EQ properly? Nothing I've found myself has really been helpful in terms of strategy, they all just tell you exactly what it does, which I already know.

What exactly do you mean by starting from scratch and writing my own arrangement for it? That's what I did here. I was actually expecting to be able to submit if I learn to clean it up properly and write it out to 4 minutes.

(In addition I have to say I don't think anything is too conservative for OCR: http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00872/ )

Thanks for the feedback.

Does anyone know of any specific resources for learning how to EQ properly? Nothing I've found myself has really been helpful in terms of strategy, they all just tell you exactly what it does, which I already know.

What exactly do you mean by starting from scratch and writing my own arrangement for it? That's what I did here. I was actually expecting to be able to submit if I learn to clean it up properly and write it out to 4 minutes.

(In addition I have to say I don't think anything is too conservative for OCR: http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00872/ )

Google something specific, like "how to eq music" (this is the first hit). People have different eq philosophies, some are "cut, don't boost", some are drastic, some subtle... I tend to use EQ to shape the sounds, and then another layer of EQ to control the sound and make it fit with the other tracks, usually by carving out room for the important tracks in the less improtant ones and making sure leads and foreground instruments have enough highs compared to bg stuff.

As for zid's remix, it's not 2002 anymore. ;) it doesn't work for comparison. Listen and compare to more recent remixes, like 2005+. Read what the judges said about the remixes while they were being judged. Cut the original into little pieces and put it back together wrong... ;)

I've complained that there's no objective way of measuring if a remix is too conservative and the judges have had a hard time trying to define it. Listen to more recent stuff and compare it to source. If you find something rejected for being too conservative, see if you can find it on the wip board (you might end up searching for stuff over a year old).

Hope this clears things up a bit.