OCR01118 - Final Fantasy X "Guardian's Sending"

djpretzel

I think I figured out one of the reasons I like this so much- it reminds me of some of Sopor Aeternus' instrumental work. The subdued, somewhat minimalist and sectional arrangement just really appeals to me. The subtle harmonic and melodic variations masterfully reimagine the original themes in a way that puts most mixes to shame.

*This* is rearrangement done right.

This piece manages to bring about the emotion of the game without having to listen to all the annoying nasal monologes of the main character. The one thing i really loved about FFX, and it is not my favorite FF by far, was how well the music and the imagery brought out the emotions of the game, a task that the horrible voice acting failed to do. To Zanarkand is probably the reason i was most interested in the game when it first came out.

This mix combines the themes well, to create a suble, emotional piece that makes good use of some nice guitar (the opening reminds me of the softer music from Trigun and Cowboy Bebop) and a nice string sample at :30. Another highlight for me was the entrance of the strings at 1:20. Nice and full. Joins in well.

The biggest problem i had was that the mix stopped and started again when switching themes. It sounded nice, but it didn't flow. Still, its not even a big problem for me. Just pointing it out.

This sounds wonderful. It has that epic cinematic feel and a beautiful sound.

95/100.

I'd just like to start this review off by thanking Sal. Auron was by far (and I'm talking in terms of light years) the strongest character in the game and my favorite, and his theme was one of the stronger tracks on the iffy FFX OST.

Very good stuff here. Nice and simple, but powerful remix of Auron's Theme. Thanks for this most importantly. The rest of the song is equally as powerful.

And I noticed you couldn't resist a touch of To Zanarkand. Fine by me. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very great stuff from Sal here, Auron´s theme should and always shall be played with a nice guitar or at least an instrument with some strings. I recognized an other song too, that one around the end, that´s sounds like the ending theme. It does sounds like Zanarkand too of course, they have the same melody, BUT the piano beginning from 3:14 is from that one, I´m sure it is.

To sum it all up, great work from Sal, you can hear he´s a pro, and....what do you mean he´s a newcomer?

• 3 months later...

Possibly my favorite OC Remix (Well, I've said that to a lot of them now, ranging from DJPretzel's FF9 "Dubnofantasyaloneman" to Hermit's Link's Awakening "Seaside Lullaby"...)

I'm surprised Sal has only one submission! For this is some remixin'/arrangin' done right. Real right. I actually like the first half of the remix better, but not due to any downfalls on the second half; just personal taste... Very well done! I want to hear more from Sal! =)

First you got that awesome guitar work, like that of a solitary warrior. After that, you have this small moment of silence and then before you know it, it's as if the clouds opened up their passage to the sunlight and you feel an immediate rush of strenth go through you. In short, it's a heartwarming remix.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Awesome.

You captured the emotions perfectly - and that's really no easy task. This so perfectly brings up what I was feeling when I watched that scene in the game, even moreso because Auron was by far my favorite character.

This does it even *better* than the game, really, because the game just kindof breezed past that part focusing more on Tidus/Yuna. This lasts, you see.

Hard to believe this is a first submission, it's that good.

• 1 year later...

Nice samples, but things sound pretty mechanically sequenced. I think the arrangement is pretty nice, and there is a good progression through to the end, with a good amount of variety. The strange fades and low brass transitions made me frown :-(, but when the sending theme came up I smiled. :-)

I love that theme, and the way you handled it was pretty great, but that transition into it was pretty weak. A decent listen, but somewhat forgettable for me.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Really enjoy this. The samples stick out a little, but it surprisingly doesn't get in the way of the emotion in the piece. It comes through quite strongly; the strings and brass aren't the best sounding things in the world, but they are used extremely well. The arrangement of the themes is top-notch... though transitions were notably neglected.

Honestly, I don't think To Zanarkand was needed at the end at all, definitely not as developed as it is. It's a much weaker tail-end of the mix, with much less interesting arrangement going on that I think lets the rest of the track down. Still, it's a solid and at times stunning piece of music, even though it suffers from some unfortunate compartmentalisation. Truly great work, regardless.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01118 - Final Fantasy X "Guardian's Sending"