Super Mario 64-Supernova Groove (Powerful Mario Rmx)

Nothing like taking a break to refresh you and clear your mind. Well I tweaked the track some more. Used bongo samples of a slightly different character and threw in some reverb and compression. I adjusted the velocities of the bongos so it should sound less monotone. I also adjusted the velocities of the rest of the notes as well. I put some compression on the electric bass so the softer notes should come out a bit louder now. I compressed the horns as well, but just a touch.

img.php?fid=365

Hey you guys, I just got back. Yeah I felt the trumpets in the intro was weak as well. So I adjusted the velocitiy of the notes on there and other parts of the songs where I felt emphasis was more important. As for the guitar that plays in the intro, I just boosted the volume a bit.

img.php?fid=368

I gave the piano thing a try, I couldn't make it work. lol. Maybe with more experience I could.

Hey you guys, I just got back. Yeah I felt the trumpets in the intro was weak as well. So I adjusted the velocitiy of the notes on there and other parts of the songs where I felt emphasis was more important. As for the guitar that plays in the intro, I just boosted the volume a bit.

img.php?fid=368

I gave the piano thing a try, I couldn't make it work. lol. Maybe with more experience I could.

I don't see how you need experience for that, I just said to replace the soundfont/sample while sounding like an idiot. I suppose sounding like an idiot confused. xDDD

lol. no worries. I really do appreciate the feedback I am getting from you guys. I gained quite a bit of knowledge because of it and I can carry it to whatever arrangement I might work on next. Is the intro a bit better now? And how is the track overall now?

Your track... pretty much, well, it feels like it's meandering.

You have a melody a different melody then bongos by themselves then a weak trumpet by itself then another part of the melody then bongos by themselves...

There's really no climax or any hint of rising or decaying and it sounds like it's not going in any direction.

It's like writing a story about a boy who needs to save the world but you end up writing a chapter about him fishing, another one about him climbing a tree another one about him reading a book. There's nothing to capture the interest.

Hmmm the idea for somethin like this isn't bad at all but the writing could use a lot of work. I was scrambling to follow the song the whole time. Like there were no transitions really so to speak and I couldn't hear a lead instrument a lot of times. There was one part when you dropped everything and had the ethnic percussions goin. That part was cool, but those percussions weren't really layered enough to stand on their own. Everything sounded upfront too, meaning there was really no depth to the song.

I like your overall idea but this could use some more work don't give up on it though, you can only grow if you keep working on your craft.

Hey everyone, I have been working on the track a bit more. I did some work on the ending so that it sounds like a ending. I was going for a triumphant/ joy type of feeling (not to sure how to describe it). Right now I am debating on the ending. Right now I have three choices. I'm gonna post them right now and tell me which one would sound better.

SNG ending1.wav - 1.43MB

SNG ending2.wav - 1.43MB

SNG ending3.wav - 1.43MB

Your track... pretty much, well, it feels like it's meandering.

You have a melody a different melody then bongos by themselves then a weak trumpet by itself then another part of the melody then bongos by themselves...

There's really no climax or any hint of rising or decaying and it sounds like it's not going in any direction.

It's like writing a story about a boy who needs to save the world but you end up writing a chapter about him fishing, another one about him climbing a tree another one about him reading a book. There's nothing to capture the interest.

And if all tracks followed that same formula then this would be one trite site. Oh right - I forgot - it already is :tomatoface:

Well I made a couple of changes.

-I added a layer to the Horns and the Latin Percussion section

-I replaced the bongo only section of the introduction with the electric guitar.

-I joined the separate melodies of the first verse and put it all in one.

-I attempted to make a smooth transition from the first verse to the second verse using the initial guitar melody.

-There is a horn buildup in the second verse.

-Most of the latin percussion variation is in the second verse and breakdown.

-Used a different ending for the arrangement.

img.php?fid=386

Well I made a couple of changes.

-I added a layer to the Horns and the Latin Percussion section

-I replaced the bongo only section of the introduction with the electric guitar.

-I joined the separate melodies of the first verse and put it all in one.

-I attempted to make a smooth transition from the first verse to the second verse using the initial guitar melody.

-There is a horn buildup in the second verse.

-Most of the latin percussion variation is in the second verse and breakdown.

-Used a different ending for the arrangement.

img.php?fid=386

Dude you need some reverb everything sounds all... dry.

And this doesn't SOUND Latin at all. It sounds like some techno/dance song with Latin instruments.

You could probably replace everything with synths and it would sound exactly the same...

come to think of it, it would sound better with synths.

My suggestion is you make this into an electronica song (replace percussion with electronic percussion, trumpets with lead synth, etc.)

It would sound a lot better.

If you don't want to do that, you have to do some intense hunting for some better samples, and you need to listen to Latin Jazz music.

In fact I think it would work better as plain jazz instead of Latin Jazz, because Latin Jazz relies a lot on rhythm and your rhythm is... 1 2 3 4... 1 2 3 4... BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM... it's pretty basic and you probably should find a more jazzy rhythm.

• 2 weeks later...

You know what you were right... it didn't sound Latin at all. It didn't even have the vibe I was originally aiming for. Looking back I made that one out of frustration. I did some rearranging of a couple of things with this newer one.

A couple of changes were made sequence wise

The bass should carry the melody, but it switches up about 2/3s of the way through to make it less boring.

Still using the same instruments but trying different horn samples. Though integrating it into the tune is still a work in progress.

I stopped being stingy and I reverbed the HELL out of this one, I used two different quality reverbs for the instruments and one insert for the master so they all sound like they are in the same area. I just hope I didn't put in too much.

img.php?fid=413

Still working on the drum pattern and ending.

RIP AWAY!

You know what you were right... it didn't sound Latin at all. It didn't even have the vibe I was originally aiming for. Looking back I made that one out of frustration. I did some rearranging of a couple of things with this newer one.

A couple of changes were made sequence wise

The bass should carry the melody, but it switches up about 2/3s of the way through to make it less boring.

Still using the same instruments but trying different horn samples. Though integrating it into the tune is still a work in progress.

I stopped being stingy and I reverbed the HELL out of this one, I used two different quality reverbs for the instruments and one insert for the master so they all sound like they are in the same area. I just hope I didn't put in too much.

img.php?fid=413

Still working on the drum pattern and ending.

RIP AWAY!

I didn't listen yet, but I can automatically tell your biggest mistake is the reverb.

Never reverb master track. xD

Listening to it: It actually doesn't seem much of a problem, but I'd still pull out the reverb on master.

I'd recommend using a Upright Bass, you're bass is WAY too low, even for bass. Go easy on the harmony, buddy. And I really recommend introducing a full drum kit earlier on, it's hard to carry a song on cruise control bongos. Your drums weren't a problem before, I recommend you keep the ones you had before.

If you download KORE PLAYER, it's got a good upright bass. KORE PLAYER is a free sampler.

If you give me an mp3 version with no bass, I could give you an example of what you could make it sound like based on my suggestions.

With reverb, it sounds much better.

But the reverb's are conflictin, your electric guitar's up nice and close but your horn sounds like it sounds like it's across a stadium.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't listen yet, but I can automatically tell your biggest mistake is the reverb.

Never reverb master track. xD

Listening to it: It actually doesn't seem much of a problem, but I'd still pull out the reverb on master.

I'd recommend using a Upright Bass, you're bass is WAY too low, even for bass. Go easy on the harmony, buddy. And I really recommend introducing a full drum kit earlier on, it's hard to carry a song on cruise control bongos. Your drums weren't a problem before, I recommend you keep the ones you had before.

If you download KORE PLAYER, it's got a good upright bass. KORE PLAYER is a free sampler.

If you give me an mp3 version with no bass, I could give you an example of what you could make it sound like based on my suggestions.

With reverb, it sounds much better.

But the reverb's are conflictin, your electric guitar's up nice and close but your horn sounds like it sounds like it's across a stadium.

Thanks for the feedback. I took out the drum kit not because I thought there was something wrong with them but because I was going through a destroy and rebuild type of thing and I normally add them last whenever I make something. I also wasn't going to bother putting them in if the melody was still crappy. I was just waiting for an okay. Well I put them back in and varied the patterns a bit more so it sounds even less boring than before (I hope I didn't overdo it though). I tried to get the Kore Player from NI but I am not able to download it from IE. I'll try using Firefox. I found another bass. I think it is an upright one from the sound.

So this newer one I am posting is using a different bass.

I adjusted the reverbs and levels so the horns should sound closer.

The drums I added are the same ones I used in the past, but I varied the patterns a bit more in certain areas.

I took out the chords in the guitar and put it back the way it was originally.

img.php?fid=428

Still working on an ending.

And here is one without the bass.

Supernova WIP5 no bass.mp3 - 4.27MB

Thanks for the feedback. I took out the drum kit not because I thought there was something wrong with them but because I was going through a destroy and rebuild type of thing and I normally add them last whenever I make something. I also wasn't going to bother putting them in if the melody was still crappy. I was just waiting for an okay. Well I put them back in and varied the patterns a bit more so it sounds even less boring than before (I hope I didn't overdo it though). I tried to get the Kore Player from NI but I am not able to download it from IE. I'll try using Firefox. I found another bass. I think it is an upright one from the sound.

So this newer one I am posting is using a different bass.

I adjusted the reverbs and levels so the horns should sound closer.

The drums I added are the same ones I used in the past, but I varied the patterns a bit more in certain areas.

I took out the chords in the guitar and put it back the way it was originally.

img.php?fid=428

Still working on an ending.

And here is one without the bass.

Supernova WIP5 no bass.mp3 - 4.27MB

Drum Kits need reverb.

Horns are too far away (try upping the volume and make them more upfront.)

And I was hoping if you could just send the FL file with the bass included, I'll just replace the bass sound.

Drum Kits need reverb.

Added some more. If that one doesn't work I will use a different one.

Horns are too far away (try upping the volume and make them more upfront.)

Done

And I was hoping if you could just send the FL file with the bass included, I'll just replace the bass sound.

Yeah, I don't use FL Studio. I use Ableton Suite 8 so I can only export Live Sets, wavs, and MIDI files.

Here is the updated ones with your suggestions.

img.php?fid=430