Kind of Bloop: Miles Davis for NES

This is an album release playboy:

kindofbloop_notype.full.jpg

Andy Baio Writes:

What would the pioneers of jazz sound like on a Nintendo Entertainment System? Coltrane on a C-64? Mingus on Amiga? For years, I've wondered what "chiptune jazz" would sound like, but there are only a tiny handful of jazz covers ever made.

To satisfy my curiosity — and commemorate the 50th anniversary of Miles Davis's "Kind of Blue" — I've asked five brilliant chiptune musicians to collaborate and reinvent the entire album in the 8-bit sound.

The lineup, in alphabetical order:

Ast0r (Chris J. Hampton)

Disasterpeace (Rich Vreeland)

Sergeeo (Sergio de Prado)

Shnabubula (Samuel Ascher-Weiss)

Virt (Jake Kaufman)

To create this album, I hope to raise $2,000 to pay royalties, pay the artists, and print CDs. Legally releasing cover songs requires paying mechanical licenses to the song publishers through the Harry Fox Agency, totaling about $420 for every 250 downloads and a $75 processing fee. I'll be using the remainder to print a very limited run of CDs for Kickstarter backers, and split the rest evenly among the five musicians for their painstaking work. (This is a labor of love for me, so I won't be keeping a dime.)

I hope to have the entire album download ready for Kind of Blue's 50th birthday on August 17. (Printing and shipping CDs will take longer.)

All project backers will get exclusive first access to the album download before anyone else in the world, and exclusive updates during the album's creation. Backers donating $30 or more will receive an extremely limited-edition CD, printed only for this Kickstarter project. Once the August 1 deadline is reached, the CD will never be sold again!

Track Listing (Tentative):

1. So What - Ast0r

2. Freddie Freeloader - Virt

3. Blue in Green - Sergeeo

4. All Blues - Shnabubula

5. Flamenco Sketches - Disasterpeace

Thank you so much for being a part of this. Let me know if you have any questions in the comments.

Here's a tiny Snippet of a portion of my track:

http://arnoldascher.com/All%20Blues%20Preview.mp3

THERE ARE ONLY 2 DAYS LEFT. AFTER THAT THE PHYSICAL CD WILL NEVER AGAIN BE AVAILABLE!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/waxpancake/kind-of-bloop-an-8-bit-tribute-to-miles-davis

This'd make a good gift for one of my friends.. I'm sure he'd get a kick out of it. Then kick the shit out of me for presenting to him chiptune jazz. Well, I'd think he'd be open-minded though.

Will the album art or w/e be downloadable without having to make the $30 donation (to make this a presentable gift)? Do we even have to pay at all? It's been backed like... 350%. Could we still donate (after the two day period)?

I don't want this question to sound rude, but I have no other way to word it: How much music does $30 buy me here? how long are the tracks?

So What - 9:22

Freddie Freeloader - 9:46

Blue In Green - 5:37

All Blues - 9:26

Those are how long the original songs are. If these are straight covers, I'm sure they'll be the same length.

So that comes out to.... slightly under $.99 per minute....

This isn't really the kind of thing you can get at Wal Mart. Or any music shop for that matter. The price definitely is worth it if you're a fan of Miles Davis and chiptunes.

About the first post :There's one thing I still don't understand.. Is the music going to be done? Or is it already done?

From my understanding, I don't know if the music is done, however, the album will be coming out early August, and if you do the $5 donation, you get an early download of it before it becomes a free release. $30 gets you the physical disc.

• 3 weeks later...

So I don't know if any of ya'll are familiar with this project, but a while back Andy Baio on kickstarter got a ton of people to back this project. It's a chiptune tribute album to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue album--each track is done as a chiptune cover. It's called Kind of Bloop.

Well, it's done now! Artists represented include virt, ocr's own Shnabubula and Chris J. Hampton (ast0r), as well as chiptune artists disasterpiece and Sergeeo. Backers (like me!) get to hear it first, but it will be available to the public on August 20.

I'm SUPER EXCITED to get my copy!!!! I've been waiting for this for a while--I'm sure all the tracks are going to be amazing. I'm especially looking forward to hearing virt, shnab, and disasterpiece's tracks--I'm a big fan of all of them.

check it out!! http://www.kindofbloop.com