OCR01120 - Final Doom "The Calling"

djpretzel

I own Final Doom and I love it. There are actually 2 games in Final Doom. TNT: Evilution was my favorite of the two because it had better atmosphere, the other had a higher difficulty.

This is totally awesome and a treat to those of us who love Final Doom, which has very good music. I really dont know which is the original, but this made me install Final Doom again... Uh. That's it. It's good.

I also own Final DOOM. This is a great piece. FD had some of the best levels ever designed on the DOOM Engine. I was truly impressed with what they pulled off when I got it. Invisible bridges, see-through doors. Bulletproof windows. Okay, those are all the same trick, but it was amazing how they used a Bug in the engine to pull off some amazing stuff.

Plus the detail in the levels was levels higher than what was in the original two.

• 2 years later...

A really chill remix, this focuses on atmosphere more than anything really, and the textures are great.

The drums, bass, and melody are all rather subdued, however, which makes the mix less engaging, but as background music it works great.

Not to detract from the mix, But I think a lot of the techniques used would be better used on a more interesting source.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Recalling the source material, I can see it working well for Dj Redlight's more chilled stylings which were made similarly evident with future submissions to the site (particularly with Descent II "Revelation"). And it managed to do so now, playing moreso with overlapping the core melodic compents over a more laid back sole-chord progression.

There's been some good manipulation work with the bass/rhythm/melodic synths that help keep it interesting for its genre too, and with the surprising amount of string expression - even if the strings themselves don't sound convincing as a standalone sample - it has shown that a lot of dynamic attention has been paid attention to.

I'd say that it wasn't quite as attention grabbing as some of his later subs, but it's still a very firm way of working with the source material, and a definite insight to the roots of how Dj Redlight had developed during his time. Hopefully we'd get to see him back here soon :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01120 - Final Doom "The Calling"