OCR01962 - *YES* Virtua Fighter 2 'Juunen Hayaindayou'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: Willrock

Email Address: Will.rock@hotmail.co.uk

User Number: 24181

Games Arranged: Virtua Fighter. Virtua Fighter 2

Songs Arranged: Akira's Theme (both games)

Information About Games: Beat em ups both released by sega. Virtua Fighter was released on the Sega Saturn and Virtua Fighter 2 was released on the Sega Saturn and Sega Megadrive. The Soundtrack was Composed By Takayuki Nakamura.

Sources:

Comments:

I have been a virtua fighter fan for many years now, and the music in the first 2 games always seemed outstanding to me, particularly Akira's theme in both games.

I have always wanted to take both themes and put them together in a remix, as I always thought that the two themes together seemed to complete each other, like the 2nd akira theme was a direct response to the first. As far as arrangement and production have gone, I wanted to achieve an old school 80's wall of sound and for the arrangement, I have dulled down the original sections that were often in my older remixes and put more effort into messing around with the sources - and there is plenty in the two sources I have chosen.

Anyway, this is the result, I hope you enjoy it :P

--------------------------------------------------------------

Just noting that the dominant source usage in here is from the VF2 source.

Virtua Fighter 2 SOUND TRACK - (12) "Ride the Tiger"

The core drums had a good tone, but the writing was a bit boring and simplistic (too upfront compared to the VF2 source, where the placement was pulled off more effectively and didn't expose the pattern as being so bland). I also thought the mixing could have been a bit cleaner, but I was enjoying the arrangement overall. It definitely had a very old school arrange album feel to it, albeit with leads I wouldn't expect.

Production-wise, I wasn't really hearing much growth compared to past mixes, but even if you plateaued at this level, Will, you'd still be in pretty good shape as far as getting stuff passed consistently. That said, I hope you continue to improve your production and sound design techniques as you continue to keep hitting us with cool mixes. Also cool to see you hitting some untread territory with Virtua Fighter! Keep 'em coming!

YES

Definitely hit that 80's sound with the heavily reverbed drums. You can imagine this playing in Bloodsport or one of those badass movies from the 80's that inexplicably had soft rock songs on the soundtrack. I liked what you did with this, it was good, but 2:57 was the only moment where something really caught my attention. I won't say your work is starting to sound boring, but maybe it's starting to sound too easy? I think you can afford to take more risks, like you did at 2:57. There are so many ways you can go with it - structural changes, new instruments, genre mixing, bigger dynamic changes. I feel like you've nailed down a style and now it's time for you to broaden your scope some. Nevertheless,

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I felt the leads sounded out of place, both in terms of mixing and 80's sound. Too modern and dry. The mixing overall was good but left a little to be desired in terms of balance and clarity. For example the drums could've been a little more in the back, especially considering it's a drum machine-style sound that's quite repetitive.

Arrangement was tight but felt slightly uninspired. No shame in that but if you feel this is easy for you, you might want to take some more time on tracks to really make them shine in all areas. As it stands though, this IS in fact solid so here's another

YES

I also felt that a lot of the counterpoint was a little too reverbed- besides the leads and the piano plinkin', it was a little too bled into each other.

The drums were way boring to me, but there was enough good stuff to balance that out and then some.

Otherwise, check the other judge's comments for continued improvement, but there's no reason for me to hold this one back.

yes