OCR01886 - Final Fantasy XI Online "Battling Despair at Dawn"

djpretzel

This track feels grand, and I can easily imagine this playing in some epic movie scene like Helm's Deep as mentioned in the writeup. I didn't really recognize the track until about halfway though, and I could't make out which track was covered from the writeup.

I've never been able to let FFXI go completely. I really loved that game (or game world), despite its several flaws.

I found it kind of interesting when I went onto Tweek's website, found a new song I liked, and couldn't download it. Now I know why!

Great job, man. Everything you pump out is covered in gold. :-P

Haha, yeah, I was asked about that several times before OCR posted the song so I'm quite pleased it's up here now for people to download!

Thanks for the comments and enjoy the track!

Great stuff Brian. I remembered when you showed me the WIP of this a while back and now it's finished and it's very good. That's all I gots to say about it, not like I can pick out stuff that's wrong with it since there's pretty much nothin wrong that I can hear lol. Another great piece by the man, Tweek.

Hehe, thanks Rashad. The track has definitely come a long way since I first let you listen to it. I'm glad that you like it :-)!

this came out great brian!

it really works fantastic on your website

the soft section break after the beginning with it's lead back into the heavy stuff is my fav part - high quality stuff - i gotta talk orchestra stuff with you some time :)

Yeah mate, when I was working on that opening animation, I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to find a piece of music that would work really well with it. When I made an edit of this one, and threw it in place, it worked so much better than I could have ever expected!

Beautiful piece, very intense. Great job.

Yeah man, the intensity of the track really was the main focus of the piece. I wanted the track to drive itself and create mounds of tension! I'm excited that you felt that emotion!

i love these LOUD orchestra remixes

nice work!

You and me both, mate! I love any orchestral remix that sounds epic that OCR produces. Hell, I love just about any track, remix, or OST that has this sound. I'm very happy to see I'm not the only one :)!

I played FFXI for 2 years and can relate with battling despair at dawn, usually from a lack of sleep. I like the crisp clean cymbals and overall clear production quality. Very impressive piece.

Hahahaha. Boy do I ever know that feeling! Many many late nights and early mornings spent playing the game! What server were you on?

Thanks for the comment and I'm glad that you like the mix!

This track feels grand, and I can easily imagine this playing in some epic movie scene like Helm's Deep as mentioned in the writeup. I didn't really recognize the track until about halfway though, and I could't make out which track was covered from the writeup.

I've never been able to let FFXI go completely. I really loved that game (or game world), despite its several flaws.

You know, I've had a couple people make a similar comparison to LotR. It's funny, because when I listen to it, I hear more "Pirates of the Caribbean" in there. I'm not really sure why. They are quite similar, I suppose :)!

Dusk and Dawn is the source that's covered all the way throughout the piece. The first notes that you hear in the track come directly from the source (it's even in the same key :)). Despair and Dungeon Battle 2 are placed throughout the piece as well.

I'm in the same boat with you. Even though I can look back on the game and see just how much of a time dump that it was, it is still the first game I ever loved and I don't think I will ever be able to let it go! Here's to FF XIV correcting those flaws to make an incredible MMO!

Thanks to all for the comments! I'm overjoyed that you all have enjoyed the piece!

As someone who still plays FFXI pretty much every day, I can't really let this one go by without a comment. Although I generally only turn my music on for new mission stuff these days, the sources used were instantly recognizable to me and I think this was very well done.

I like the piano usage in the middle, and the blending of the two source tracks worked out pretty seemlessly.

When I saw "Dawn," I was hoping this would be a mix of the Promathia Battle theme, but hey, I'll take this too!

As someone who still plays FFXI pretty much every day, I can't really let this one go by without a comment. Although I generally only turn my music on for new mission stuff these days, the sources used were instantly recognizable to me and I think this was very well done.

I like the piano usage in the middle, and the blending of the two source tracks worked out pretty seemlessly.

When I saw "Dawn," I was hoping this would be a mix of the Promathia Battle theme, but hey, I'll take this too!

Man, I admire you for still powering through the game! With all the changes they have made, I've heard/seen that the dynamic of the game has changed quite a bit!

I'm really glad that you've enjoyed the mix mate. Much more to come, I assure you!

This makes me want to play FF11 again.

Do like, A lot.

Also what server were you on?

Yeah man, listening to the music, whether remixed or original, always brings a strong feeling of nostalgia for the game as well. I'm very happy that you like the mix. It really took me back when I was writing it!

Back in the day of Tweek the BLM, I was on the Odin server! 75blm, 68whm, 63rng, and everything else below that. I do miss it, but XIV is really starting to grab my interest. We'll see what happens :-).

Once again, thanks for all the comments everyone!

• 4 months later...

Right from the start you can tell this one is gonna be epic. Tweek does a great job of implementing his fabulous production into this genre. I don't like it as much as his FFIV sub but the production quality here is undeniably good. The beautiful solo violin/flute samples juxtaposed with the heavier symphonic elements at certain parts is really cool :-)

Not really my idea of "casual listening" music but this would fit fantastically into just about any modern-day RPG right at the most climactic battle in the game. What you've done here, you did extraordinarily well, Tweek!

• 4 months later...

I do so hate FFXI. Not for itself, I'm sure it's a great game, but I despise the presence of MMORPGs in the main series. I object to paying for games after buying them.

This despisal, fortunately, doesn't extend to the music of FFXI. I haven't heard much of it (read: the Black Mages' Distant Worlds), but what I have heard, I've liked. This mix is, as I have come to expect from Tweek, pretty darn cool. My only mild complaint is that despite the relentless drive of the piece, it still manages to feel like it doesn't really go anywhere...

• 1 year later...
I do so hate FFXI. Not for itself, I'm sure it's a great game, but I despise the presence of MMORPGs in the main series. I object to paying for games after buying them.

This despisal, fortunately, doesn't extend to the music of FFXI. I haven't heard much of it (read: the Black Mages' Distant Worlds), but what I have heard, I've liked. This mix is, as I have come to expect from Tweek, pretty darn cool. My only mild complaint is that despite the relentless drive of the piece, it still manages to feel like it doesn't really go anywhere...

It deserves in every way to be in the main series Final Fantasy. People that have played it know this. Others, including me, have drawn an overpowering sentimental attachment to this game and its surrounding community.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01886 - Final Fantasy XI Online "Battling Despair at Dawn"