Magma Man Mix Feedback Please

hallfprice

So far I've put in about 7-10 hours on this mix.

I'm just looking for some honest feedback.

This is Magma Man from Megaman 9 for the Wii.

I want to eventually be able to submit this one, so any feedback to getting me closer to that goal would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?action=single&f=Magma+Mix.mp3

newest version:

img.php?fid=332

I'm loving the beat, but I can't say I like the melodic instruments. They seem a little harsh. I pictured an electric guitar playing in place of the instrument around 0:50. Not sure what to do with the instrument at 0:35. I guess you can play around a little more. Another piano could take the melody, perhaps. You could add in some extra chords or something. The build up to 1:23 drops off. It would sound cool if the volume was a little louder from there to 1:51 with possibly an addition of new instruments that you could add into the build-up.

I gotta say though, the background piano and the beat are sexy all the way through. You should find some instruments that compliment them a little more. The composition is nice, and you have some nice intentional improv going.

Those are just some suggestions. Take 'em or leave 'em as what I like and dislike is completely subjective. I love the soundtrack to Mega Man 9, and Magma Man is one of my faves. You definitely have something going here. Keep tweaking it and posting here for updates! It'll be submittable in no time.

Nice, it sounds much better!

I forgot to say something earlier, I was busy with something else.

Is that a sample electric guitar? You might wanna get someone to play electric guitar for you (I'd recommend Sixto Sounds or Snappleman but the latter is banned so try asking Sixto Sounds... Or Sweendrix. Actually you should just start a thread to find someone, there are lots of good guitar players here.

This is much better. I agree that a collab would be great for the guitar sound. I haven't used electric guitar at all because the soundfonts and samples that I find just don't cut it when I need a wailing sound (like you need here). It's one of those things that tends to almost always needs a collab unless you're a mix master.

You'll definitely have to adjust some volumes and play around with EQ because some instruments are fighting with each other trying to drown each other out during the build ups, and the bass beat is doing it a little too. This sort of thing happens when you add more instruments in, I think.

What do you guys think of the sound effects I added in?

I need help with a title, any suggestions?

img.php?fid=305

I don't think I'm gonna go for the collab on this one with the guitar unless someone volunteers, but I will keep it in mind for the future.

Seriously, thanks for the feedback though.

What do you guys think of the sound effects I added in?

I need help with a title, any suggestions?

img.php?fid=305

I don't think I'm gonna go for the collab on this one with the guitar unless someone volunteers, but I will keep it in mind for the future.

Seriously, thanks for the feedback though.

To be honest,

I had this problem in one of my WIP's long ago:

They're off rhythm. You're also putting them in a part where there's a song behind them that people want to listen to.

I'll use Beam Sabre Beat Zero by Darkesword as an example. Listen to the background music during the part where X and Zero are fighting. If you grabbed the soundeffects out, you wouldn't hear much; nothing that stands out.

However, when he put the soundeffects in, it gave the listener something to, well, listen to. But he didn't just dump them in, he put them in rhythm with what was in the background.

In your mix, you layered them over something already worth listening to, so there's a fork in the road:

Should I listen to the soundeffects? Or should I listen to the song?

As a listener I don't like coming to forks in the roads, because I can only enjoy half of one part of the song each time I listen to it. I want to enjoy the full song.

Now I know the soundeffects aren't much but there's still a fork in the road. At the intro is where my concern is:

It would be a nice and peaceful piano intro but then Megaman is shooting his buster and using some sort of construction equipment.

I do not like the sound effects at all. They disrupt what you have way too much, especially the beginning where it's quiet and leads into something more, it just feels like the sound effects are taking over. There's no rhythm to them, and they clash. Otherwise, the musical elements you included are definitely getting better. I don't think you should add anything else now. Just play with different volumes and velocities, and you can determine if it needs something else later.

that's great feedback.

I agree, I just got excited at the idea of putting in the sounds, cause it wasn't originally what I had in mind, and I just kind of put them haphazardly into the mix.

I'm gonna see if I can't mix them in more fluidly, not in a way that will detract from the melody or rhythm.

Thanks again.

I do you have kind of a newb question though...

Does the mix sound more balanced now? Like, I don't really know much about EQ and all I've really done is adjust volume levels for each instrument. What is the workflow for EQ usually like?

This is only my second serious attempt at a VG remix so any insight is appreciated.

thanks again...

that's great feedback.

I agree, I just got excited at the idea of putting in the sounds, cause it wasn't originally what I had in mind, and I just kind of put them haphazardly into the mix.

I'm gonna see if I can't mix them in more fluidly, not in a way that will detract from the melody or rhythm.

Thanks again.

I do you have kind of a newb question though...

Does the mix sound more balanced now? Like, I don't really know much about EQ and all I've really done is adjust volume levels for each instrument. What is the workflow for EQ usually like?

This is only my second serious attempt at a VG remix so any insight is appreciated.

thanks again...

Well... uh... "Hallfprice",

if you can use VST effects you can get Parametric EQ 2 (if you use FL you already have it)

You have 7 bands, each representing a certain frequency level.

1 - Low Bass

2- Bass

3- Mid/Bass

4- Mid

5- Mid/High

6- High

7- Very High

They're on seven sliders. Basically what you want to do is adjust each slider for the offending frequency (if you have too much low frequency on a high instrument, just roll off 1 and a bit of 2 it'll show you the strength of each frequency as a guide)

However balancing your instruments velocities may be different altogether.

For instance, if you have something that's upfront and has the most strength when it should be more background and supporting, just lower the velocities on that specific instrument.

Ex.

I have a melody

I have a chord progression

The melody is quiet and the chord progression is loud so I listen to the chord progression instead of the melody. However, chord progressions are usually background, so I adjust the volume of the chord progression more quietly and raise the volume of the melody, so that I can focus more on the melody.

yeah sorry bout the awkward name

i didn't realize it was a typo and you can only have one handle per email

oh well

you can call me halfprice with one l if you like... lol

thanks

i wasn't actually using fl studio but i have it on my pc, this mix was made entirely in reason and i was attempting to add the sound effects in record (new propellhead software)

i may just scratch the sound effect idea

anywho

thanks once again