Super Metroid - Upper Norfair

HoboKa

Yeah this is a remix of the very bland, atmospheric track of Upper Norfair. My take on it is pretty sparse for the most part, but it does pick up at 1:32 or so.

link: http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/Upper%20Norfair%20Remix.mp3

update2: http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/Upper%20Norfair%20Remix2.mp3

Update 3: http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/Upper%20Norfair%20Remix4.mp3

Issues I'm aware of insofar: awkward transition at 1:32, the production quality, especially for the brass, clipping issues - and the fade out of my shoddy gong samples. Problem is I'm unsure of how to fix them w/out ruining my work. Also, If there's any other issues I missed, please let me know. Thanks for listening.

I'm guessing the choir popping in was supposed to be jarring, but you transitioned to smoothly through the choir to the music bit to be effective. It kicked up a notch real suddenly, sure, but it's still pretty quiet and calm for a good while after the fact. It escalates again, but by then you're expecting it.

Once the melody kicks in, the track loses all of the awesome nervous tension from the intro. It sounds kind of almost heroic for a sec then drops into ambient bass-line. It's almost like you just wrote the intro and outtro and skipped the middle.

Your first minute is cool and moody but I couldn't help but wish it had the boss statue room theme quietly in the background.

Sorry if that was harsh.

Yeah this is a remix of the very bland, atmospheric track of Upper Norfair. My take on it is pretty sparse for the most part, but it does pick up at 1:32 or so.

link: http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/Upper%20Norfair%20Remix.mp3

Issues I'm aware of insofar: awkward transition at 1:32, the production quality, especially for the brass, clipping issues - and the fade out of my shoddy gong samples. Problem is I'm unsure of how to fix them w/out ruining my work. Also, If there's any other issues I missed, please let me know. Thanks for listening.

The transition at 1:32 isn't so bad, weren't for the quality that made it unpleasant. If you up the bitrate to 192 KBS, it'll sound a lot better. The part between 0:00 and 1:32 is way too long for pretty much the same thing... nothing happens till around :55 or so.

I'd like to tell you this is my favorite HoboKa submission here, hands down. The 'I'm watching a Metroid Movie' vibe I get from this is pretty cool :-P. I personally found the intro to be perfectly fitting, considering the source (which you probably should post, dude).

Everything up to 1:32 was pretty much how it needed to go down - clean and effective. At that point on, though, there tends to be a lot of clipping and such (it sounds like overcompression), which really takes away from what you had going there up until then.

If you up the bitrate to 192 KBS, it'll sound a lot better.
Just letting you know, Neblixsaber, bitrate wouldn't help this particular issue - it's just standard clipping :<.

The brass is well placed, but it needs to sound much more human - right now it sounds like a midi slapped on top of a cool track. You know the routine - tweak the velocities and volumes until it sounds like a person is playing them :-o.

The big issue is the clipping, though. Fix the production quality on this, make the brass realistic and make it longer. I think you might have a real shot on the OC pages with this, so the best of luck (and don't even think about dropping this one).

Interesting choice in source, by the way :P.

All of the atmospheric sounds are great; the trumpet is terrible. Can you find someone to play a real one for you? Otherwise, this is headed in the right direction. You've got the landscape, the weather, the lighting...now you need a main character. Transform it into a standalone piece that will hold the listener's attention.

I'd like to tell you this is my favorite HoboKa submission here, hands down. The 'I'm watching a Metroid Movie' vibe I get from this is pretty cool :-P. I personally found the intro to be perfectly fitting, considering the source (which you probably should post, dude).

Everything up to 1:32 was pretty much how it needed to go down - clean and effective. At that point on, though, there tends to be a lot of clipping and such (it sounds like overcompression), which really takes away from what you had going there up until then.

Just letting you know, Neblixsaber, bitrate wouldn't help this particular issue - it's just standard clipping :<.

The brass is well placed, but it needs to sound much more human - right now it sounds like a midi slapped on top of a cool track. You know the routine - tweak the velocities and volumes until it sounds like a person is playing them :-o.

The big issue is the clipping, though. Fix the production quality on this, make the brass realistic and make it longer. I think you might have a real shot on the OC pages with this, so the best of luck (and don't even think about dropping this one).

Interesting choice in source, by the way :P.

No I meant it would make the mix sound better, bitrate wouldn't help clippin at all.

wow that's a lot of replies in 1 day :<, thanks all. I'm writing down the crits I think will help me out...and yeah the clipping and shitty brass have been bothering me a lot. Those definitely need to be my main priorities. And Neblix...the bitrate won't change the quality of my samples nor reduce the clipping, because the quality is already shit and the clipping is due to me wracking up the volume and compression. Thanks for taking the time to crit me though.

I'm guessing the choir popping in was supposed to be jarring, but you transitioned to smoothly through the choir to the music bit to be effective. It kicked up a notch real suddenly, sure, but it's still pretty quiet and calm for a good while after the fact. It escalates again, but by then you're expecting it.

Once the melody kicks in, the track loses all of the awesome nervous tension from the intro. It sounds kind of almost heroic for a sec then drops into ambient bass-line. It's almost like you just wrote the intro and outtro and skipped the middle.

Your first minute is cool and moody but I couldn't help but wish it had the boss statue room theme quietly in the background.

Sorry if that was harsh.

I can add in some item room background, but I won't change my 'heroic' melody because my intent was to make this a multi-mood track :< fits in with my bipolar disorder haha. BTW, I didn't take any offence - there's a difference between blunt honesty and bashing; and you're of the former so it's coo :D

the trumpet is terrible. Can you find someone to play a real one for you?

3 things =p

1) Not enough source material for some1 to want to collab with me to play a brass part.

2) I'm notoriously disliked on this site so good luck for me finding a brass player :<

3) I'll find some way to fix that

Thanks for critting/listening

though I wish ppl would read my points before critting, as I had already stated the brass was terrible in my first post :tomatoface:

wow that's a lot of replies in 1 day :<, thanks all. I'm writing down the crits I think will help me out...and yeah the clipping and shitty brass have been bothering me a lot. Those definitely need to be my main priorities. And Neblix...the bitrate won't change the quality of my samples nor reduce the clipping, because the quality is already shit and the clipping is due to me wracking up the volume and compression. Thanks for taking the time to crit me though.

Well thanks for reading, Hoboka. I already said that.

And stop saying you're "Notoriously disliked" on this site.

1.) More than half of this site probably doesn't even know you.

2.) Even if that were true: Why complain about it? If you know why people don't like you, change yourself.

Well thanks for reading, Hoboka. I already said that.

And stop saying you're "Notoriously disliked" on this site.

1.) More than half of this site probably doesn't even know you.

2.) Even if that were true: Why complain about it? If you know why people don't like you, change yourself.

Well some of these ppl are elitist dinks, so I wouldn't change for them. But I shall try to reduce my abnoxious attitude :< Anyways, update coming in like 2 secs

Lots of changes here, cept my soundfonts aren't all that versatile when it comes to velocity changes, I did try to humanize it, but it's really not that much of a difference =(, however I have done some other stuff too, like reduce that clipping and the over-compression...except for those damn crap-tastic piattis x_x

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/Upper%20Norfair%20Remix2.mp3

Oh, and I boosted the bittrate to 192 so Neblix won't keep pestering me about that :tomatoface:

Lots of changes here, cept my soundfonts aren't all that versatile when it comes to velocity changes, I did try to humanize it, but it's really not that much of a difference =(, however I have done some other stuff too, like reduce that clipping and the over-compression...except for those damn crap-tastic piattis x_x

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/Upper%20Norfair%20Remix2.mp3

Oh, and I boosted the bittrate to 192 so Neblix won't keep pestering me about that :tomatoface:

I told you. ONCE. To try upping the bitrate. I'm offering a suggestion, don't make me look like a bad guy.

This next version sounds a lot better... way to GO!

I would replace the cymbal at 1:32 and so on.

Your gong is okay, but if you want a better one just PM me.

I've told you before that I like your style. I have to listen to the source material, but I like what you have so far. I don't think the choir sound was too abrupt, but I understand where the comments about it are coming from. Perhaps a quick build up to it would work, possibly like one second of a reverse reverbed clangy instrument. It's just something that came to mind. You'll work it all out eventually, I'm sure, as this isn't a completed mix. Liking the overall sound of it so far. Keep working with it!

Neblixsaber, he was joking about you 'pestering' him (hence the tomato face). Don't worry about it too much.

If the velocity changes don't do much try tweaking the actual volumes of the instruments - that's more flexible when it comes to imitating real instruments, anyway (it allows for real crescendo's & decrescendos, whereas velocities do not). The crash at 1:32 is better this time around, but you can probably tell there is still some clipage there (it could also use a little more resonant crash sound, as the one you use sounds like it mutes immediately).

I think the sudden choir is excellent - making it swell would dull the effect in the beginning.

Yeah, other than the brass-tastic comments (PoOr bRaSs SOuNd, RAWR :<), I really like the flow of this song. Keep it up!

...and post the source for everyone - I would but I can't search for it, atm. Don't wait for me to do it; I won't out of a matter of principle, now :tomatoface:.

I was referring to a different statue, but listening to the track louder you seem to have had that all along, just way quieter than the fan that was on in the other room. My bad. The bells are cool, though.

I'm cool with it being heroic but I don't love the execution. I think you're trying to do triumphant, but it comes off as tragic. Maybe it's the samples.

It doesn't sound remotely heroic until the brass comes in. This adds what feels like an unnecessary transition, since your choir doesn't seem to do much of anything besides follow the progression of the source. What I'm proposing is that you emphasize it. By adding more excitement to the choir bit, it could represent a sudden real threat after the nervous solitude of the intro and then the heroic tune would come in as a response. If this is what you meant to do, then you need to go farther with it and beat us over the head with emotion.

This is damn good. You could lower those cymbal hits a bit at some parts, and maybe add some reverb. I would check out freesound.org if you're looking for some free percussion sounds. There's a lot of good stuff there, if you can sort through all the horse shit. I like your use of the source, but I also like a lot of the original material you added. If you could find some better horn sounds, that would be awesome, but they're definitely not easy to come by. I wouldn't mind a source material "climax" toward the end of the mix. You have some source as it is, but it would be really nice to hear the choir come back, and then maybe bring that cool bass and ambiance back and then maybe a repeat and alright, maybe a little too specific... :grin:

Looking forward to another update, keep up the good work...

I told you. ONCE. To try upping the bitrate. I'm offering a suggestion, don't make me look like a bad guy.

This next version sounds a lot better... way to GO!

I would replace the cymbal at 1:32 and so on.

Your gong is okay, but if you want a better one just PM me.

You know, you really need to pay attention to the tomato face. I was joking, as Gario said. If I intended to insult you - trust me I would try much harder.

Anyways, thanks for the positive crits. And I shall def. take up the PM offer re: the gong. Im just too damn tired tonight...I over-did the Diablo 2 ug.

I was referring to a different statue, but listening to the track louder you seem to have had that all along, just way quieter than the fan that was on in the other room. My bad. The bells are cool, though.

I'm cool with it being heroic but I don't love the execution. I think you're trying to do triumphant, but it comes off as tragic. Maybe it's the samples.

It doesn't sound remotely heroic until the brass comes in. This adds what feels like an unnecessary transition, since your choir doesn't seem to do much of anything besides follow the progression of the source. What I'm proposing is that you emphasize it. By adding more excitement to the choir bit, it could represent a sudden real threat after the nervous solitude of the intro and then the heroic tune would come in as a response. If this is what you meant to do, then you need to go farther with it and beat us over the head with emotion.

Okay. You're going into a very subjective realm here - one which I would prefer to avoid - but again, I value your crits all the same :razz:

Moreover, I didn't intend for anything I just went with what came to me at the moment - unfortunately that's how I function. I can't pre-plan a song too much, otherwise it just turns out not what I want it to be. Yes you will probably tell me to practise doing that - but I can't force myself to do something that I don't like, so yeah. I won't ever be of the skill level you no doubt expect me to be, partially because I don't want to be. Frustrating isn't it? Anyways, I still thank you for the time you took to listen and crit.

Albeit the excitement to the choir part does sound enticing :D

This is damn good. You could lower those cymbal hits a bit at some parts, and maybe add some reverb. I would check out freesound.org if you're looking for some free percussion sounds. There's a lot of good stuff there, if you can sort through all the horse shit. I like your use of the source, but I also like a lot of the original material you added. If you could find some better horn sounds, that would be awesome, but they're definitely not easy to come by. I wouldn't mind a source material "climax" toward the end of the mix. You have some source as it is, but it would be really nice to hear the choir come back, and then maybe bring that cool bass and ambiance back and then maybe a repeat and alright, maybe a little too specific... :grin:

Looking forward to another update, keep up the good work...

freesound.org eh. I'll def. hit that site up. As for the horns I actually got an offer from someone, hopefully they'll follow through. haha.

Being somebody who has never even attempted to be more involved in music than playing the tenor saxophone in middle school, a lot of my suggestions are going to be pretty crappy. I pretty much just say what comes to mind while trying to sound remotely confident.

Take everything I suggest with a few buckets of salt.

http://www.fileupyours.com/view/218181/Upper%20Norfair%20Remix4.mp3

Update: Tried to implement everyone's gripes and critiques here. Can't please you all, but I certainly did my best. Half asleep right now, so if there's any blatant issues that's probably caused by sleep depravity. Enjoy. Or try to :<

As for the length of the mix, I'm actually not sure if I should bother making more material, because it's either I rinse and repeat like 99% of the other disasterpieces on this site, or I make the track grow increasingly arbitrary...decisions.

And ow...ulcers acting up again. Gotta lay off the pop and fix my sleep routine. lol. FML

Okay. You're going into a very subjective realm here - one which I would prefer to avoid - but again, I value your crits all the same :razz:

Moreover, I didn't intend for anything I just went with what came to me at the moment - unfortunately that's how I function. I can't pre-plan a song too much, otherwise it just turns out not what I want it to be. Yes you will probably tell me to practise doing that - but I can't force myself to do something that I don't like, so yeah. I won't ever be of the skill level you no doubt expect me to be, partially because I don't want to be. Frustrating isn't it? Anyways, I still thank you for the time you took to listen and crit.

Albeit the excitement to the choir part does sound enticing :D

Much better.

But still: Change your cymbal and gong! I think a slow gong hit would do better in replacing that last cymbal hit as an ending.