Megaman 9 ReMix- Galaxy Man "Maple Trees Under The Stars"

Dude...

You totally missed my meaning of predictable progression - it wasn't in terms of how it sticks to the source - ESPECIALLY since I didn't even bother to listen to the source in the first place. Besides you PM'd me to give you my opinion and I did so. I didn't try to come off as a jerk, but according to you I did. I'll concede that I've erred in thinking it sounds similar to DS, but there is a still a strong semblance nonetheless. And in either case - that's not a bad thing although it often comes off that way since I'm not in DS's good books.

Anyways, I think I'm just going to let the other people crit your work seeing as how you nor your bro want me to crit you anyways; albeit in a more subtle sense in your case. At least I know where I stand with other people who dislike me here.

Finally, you're sending me mixed messages of whether you want my damned opinion or not. So, you know what? I'll give you what you want to hear: It's a cogent, complete track, that more or less gets the job done. Congratulations.

Now leave me alone.

Giving your opinion and talking about the resemblance between me and my brother are two different things:

I never intended for you to sound like a jerk when I replied to your opinion. I appreciate your opinion and I reflected on it; I did more original stuff. When was I not listening to you? I felt a little philosophical there, so my word choice was not intended to make you sound like getting on my nerves.

When I replied to you saying I'm in Shariq's "comfort" bubble, then I got mad. It's a little uncalled for. And annoying. If you want me to stop getting a little ticked off just don't talk about Shariq in your critiques.

What do you want me to say? Sorry? I didn't do anything. I asked for your opinion. I appreciated your opinion.

What I don't appreciate is your little slip in comments about Shariq. I am me and Shariq is Shariq.

Shariq did not participate in the making of my remix. So don't talk about him on my WIP threads. Please. You would be doing yourself a favor (and doing me a favor... I don't want him stirring up the moderating stuff on my thread. Because 1. No moderating is needed here

and

2. It would make his opinion of you even lower)

Bottom Line is: I appreciate your critiques, they are very helpful. But don't include the useless "I'm not in DS's good books/ since neither you nor DS" comments.

You're a nice guy. I like you. If Shariq doesn't like you, that's not my problem.

I'm not a moderator, but I'm smart enough to know that personal remarks where they aren't needed are completely... I don't even wanna say it.

I've had enough of this depressing topic.. If you're willing to accept the fact that I don't care if Shariq likes you or not, I WANT YOUR OPINION WITHOUT ANY SLIP IN COMMENTS on this next version. I can almost guarantee without those slip in comments that I won't be mad at you.

I gave it a tumbao rhythm to sound more latin jazzy.

img.php?fid=327

First off, I love the total change in pace and atmosphere! That source tune is a bit hyper, whereas this is about as chilled as it gets. Maybe too chilled, to be honest--it's just screming "RnB" to me. Something like this, perhaps? Just a quickie beat and bassline I threw in there, but the song is just begging for a little more fullness.

Also, I think there's a stray frequency on that flute that could stand to be taken out, somewhere in the low mid. In addition, I think the piano's delay could stand to have the low cutoff raised, so that the delayed notes don't have the low mid of the main feed. Just to clean it up a bit.

One more thing, arrangement-wise, is that I'd personally say you could stand to shorten the arrangement just a touch. At least throw a few more changes in there, possibly.

That said, I dug this mix. Cool work!

First off, I love the total change in pace and atmosphere! That source tune is a bit hyper, whereas this is about as chilled as it gets. Maybe too chilled, to be honest--it's just screming "RnB" to me. Something like this, perhaps? Just a quickie beat and bassline I threw in there, but the song is just begging for a little more fullness.

Also, I think there's a stray frequency on that flute that could stand to be taken out, somewhere in the low mid. In addition, I think the piano's delay could stand to have the low cutoff raised, so that the delayed notes don't have the low mid of the main feed. Just to clean it up a bit.

One more thing, arrangement-wise, is that I'd personally say you could stand to shorten the arrangement just a touch. At least throw a few more changes in there, possibly.

That said, I dug this mix. Cool work!

Hold up, cowboy!

You need to listen to V8!

Totally different rhythm, upright bass, everything changed to latin tumbao jazz rhythm.

As for your throw in bassline and beat on my remix... honestly I didn't like it. xD Too pumping, too dark, too electronic.

I suppose I could shorten it... I've run out of ideas for changes, the only thing I can remove is the fluff, which is not much. However I know it's too long, just looking at the filesize and bitrate tells you that: I normally do a 192 bitrate but that brought it away from OCR acceptable standards at a 6.34 MB filesize. So I changed to 160. I'll see what fluff I can remove, see if that helps.

img.php?fid=327

Instruments used:

Grand Piano

Upright Bass

Celesta

Flute

String Ensemble

Latin Drum Kit

Moral of the story:

Latin jazz is my thing. 8)

Whoops! Didn't notice the new version, lol. Love the bass, that adds a lot to the song. My only other suggestion now would be to flesh out the percussion a little more, if you could. It's pretty repetitious, and could use some fills or something--with the latin theme, you might go with some extra percussion. Timbales, congas, whatever. Something to give it a little more body.

Also, the reverb on the perx could use some more high damping, IMO. Just a little too "bright" of a reverb sound, I think.

Other than that, and my previous length concern, I got nothin'. Cool stuff!

Whoops! Didn't notice the new version, lol. Love the bass, that adds a lot to the song. My only other suggestion now would be to flesh out the percussion a little more, if you could. It's pretty repetitious, and could use some fills or something--with the latin theme, you might go with some extra percussion. Timbales, congas, whatever. Something to give it a little more body.

Also, the reverb on the perx could use some more high damping, IMO. Just a little too "bright" of a reverb sound, I think.

Other than that, and my previous length concern, I got nothin'. Cool stuff!

lol Okay thanks!

I was thinkin a little conga drums wouldn't hurt... I think my song has gotten so spicy that it melted over with flavor. (referring to my signature) A lot of spice, but not enough to overdo it, ya know? 'Course in the case of genre change and rhythm change you can never over do it.

I had another mini lesson from Shariq saying that my percussion implied a latin feel and that my old 4/4 bassline was not latin enough. So i listened to like 5 seconds of tumbao latin music and understood what he meant.

I changed everything, my melody, chords, and percussion to fit a tumbao rhythm.

*sigh*

Okay now I'll tell you what you want to hear and what I actually feel. This is actually pretty good. I don't care to go into detail about production, I'll leave that to experts on that matter. I love the breakdown too, where the bell and interesting percussion play alone. Although I think that percussion thingy can use some variation as it does kind of begin to wear on the ears. 4 mins of the same 4 bars of percussion would make most listeners a bit weary of it. Correction, 2:57 secs of that or so. Still, that's a lot :<

So Judge HoboKa (who would never want to be one for OCR) says

YES, Conditional

go fix those minor things up :nicework:

*sigh*

Okay now I'll tell you what you want to hear and what I actually feel. This is actually pretty good. I don't care to go into detail about production, I'll leave that to experts on that matter. I love the breakdown too, where the bell and interesting percussion play alone. Although I think that percussion thingy can use some variation as it does kind of begin to wear on the ears. 4 mins of the same 4 bars of percussion would make most listeners a bit weary of it. Correction, 2:57 secs of that or so. Still, that's a lot :<

So Judge HoboKa (who would never want to be one for OCR) says

YES, Conditional

go fix those minor things up :nicework:

That's much better.

So, problems:

1. Stagnant percussion

Hehe.

See HoboKa? That wasn't so hard. It wouldn't be so difficult to understand you if you'd just stop complaining that people don't like you.

Sorry it took me so long to get to you with this - I've been using restricted computers that don't let me use flash players. Alright, let's see...

Well, I like the feel. The flute is great, the piano fits well and the rest of the instrumentation is spot-on. The arrangement is pretty much there.

There are a few little things that need to be addressed, but it's pretty sweet, atm. The piano is a touch bland, as it is right now. The notes it plays are fine, but there isn't enough 'touch' behind them (meaning it's a little inhuman). Without the humanization, the piano part becomes a bit muddy.

The flute is fine, but sometimes it gets drown in the mix (like at 2:19). Bring the flute out a bit more, when you need to.

I really like the subtle strings in the background - they help fill out the piece a lot.

The mix is alright, although the mastering sounds like it could us a bit less in the mids and a touch more in the highs (not too much, though - it's almost there, as it is).

Otherwise, I have nothing to say. This is a very well done mix, as it is.

Sorry it took me so long to get to you with this - I've been using restricted computers that don't let me use flash players. Alright, let's see...

Well, I like the feel. The flute is great, the piano fits well and the rest of the instrumentation is spot-on. The arrangement is pretty much there.

There are a few little things that need to be addressed, but it's pretty sweet, atm. The piano is a touch bland, as it is right now. The notes it plays are fine, but there isn't enough 'touch' behind them (meaning it's a little inhuman). Without the humanization, the piano part becomes a bit muddy.

The flute is fine, but sometimes it gets drown in the mix (like at 2:19). Bring the flute out a bit more, when you need to.

I really like the subtle strings in the background - they help fill out the piece a lot.

The mix is alright, although the mastering sounds like it could us a bit less in the mids and a touch more in the highs (not too much, though - it's almost there, as it is).

Otherwise, I have nothing to say. This is a very well done mix, as it is.

Thanks... it took me... 1... 2... 3.. 3.1...3.2...

4 Days to make this.

And gario... there's no flute at 2:19. That was kind of intentional to leave it with just the celesta and drum... It's not drowned out, it's removed. XD

UPDATE:

Gave it a nice multiband compressor on the master track. Also, I changed the melody so that it would fit the tumbao rhythm but not stray too far from the source.

img.php?fid=334

Sounds like the piano chords have a bit too much reverb in the beginning for my tastes. Not too crazy about that synth that comes in either.

Drums have a nice groove when they come in! Once again, I think there's too much reverb--I hear the ambience crunching against itself in the background. If you can control the eq of the reverb, i would try to shave off the high frequencies it's reverb-, uh, ing. I like the use of the piano, your instrumentation is really nice.

Any chance you can put any pitch bends on the pan flute? It would help make it a little more human. Especially on the blue notes.

Do you have a source I can listen to? Can't say much about the arrangement without that.

EDIT: yes you do, so I can! You definitely have a great interpretation going here. Right now the mix is leaning pretty strong on the liberal side, from what I can tell. So as you continue to write, try to get some more source in there to balance it out.

In general, be careful with your use of reverb and delay. Audiofidelity gave me a great spatiality lesson when it comes to reverb--the more reverb something has, the further it is from the listener. Also, try seeing how things will sound with JUST reverb or JUST delay, or perhaps a little reverb and a lot of delay and vice versa. Right now, it's sounding a bit extravagant to me, and I hear that a lot of what I hear in the track is just the ambience of all the different reverbs bouncing against eachother. Skim back on the reverb and you'll be golden!

Sounds like the piano chords have a bit too much reverb in the beginning for my tastes. Not too crazy about that synth that comes in either.

Drums have a nice groove when they come in! Once again, I think there's too much reverb--I hear the ambience crunching against itself in the background. If you can control the eq of the reverb, i would try to shave off the high frequencies it's reverb-, uh, ing. I like the use of the piano, your instrumentation is really nice.

Any chance you can put any pitch bends on the pan flute? It would help make it a little more human. Especially on the blue notes.

Do you have a source I can listen to? Can't say much about the arrangement without that.

EDIT: yes you do, so I can! You definitely have a great interpretation going here. Right now the mix is leaning pretty strong on the liberal side, from what I can tell. So as you continue to write, try to get some more source in there to balance it out.

In general, be careful with your use of reverb and delay. Audiofidelity gave me a great spatiality lesson when it comes to reverb--the more reverb something has, the further it is from the listener. Also, try seeing how things will sound with JUST reverb or JUST delay, or perhaps a little reverb and a lot of delay and vice versa. Right now, it's sounding a bit extravagant to me, and I hear that a lot of what I hear in the track is just the ambience of all the different reverbs bouncing against eachother. Skim back on the reverb and you'll be golden!

I actually really don't mind reverb. The bouncing is probably due to the multiband compressor. Thanks, but I don't really see a problem with it.

And unless something else comes up I don't plan to write any more to this arrangement. I've stretched my ideas enough. xD

BTW, DrumUltimA

Your lonely petals arrangement half inspired this. This was supposed to a be an entire piano piece with no other instruments... but then I added a flute. Then I came up with a rhythm and then I wrote percussion... I listened to like 5 seconds of latin music and boom I completely revamped my rhythm with added upright bass.

Edit: I suppose the multiband compressor really killed off the light reverb and replaced with heavy. I'll see what I can do.

it's not done? Because when I listen to the link you posted, it seems to just cut off suddenly at 4:12. Maybe you need to put a few more seconds in there so the sound has time to decay, I guess.

I'm honored that I helped inspire a track! :D

Yeah, check out that compressor, and make sure you're not compressing the reverb! That's probably why it sounds so extreme. Be careful about comments like this:

I actually really don't mind reverb. The bouncing is probably due to the multiband compressor. Thanks, but I don't really see a problem with it.

two things: of course you don't see a problem with it--if you did, you wouldn't need external feedback ;)

If you don't like somebody's feedback, I HIGHLY recommend you don't say anything. I get feedback I think is terrible all the time, but the minute you argue with somebody's feedback, the message you're sending is "your input is not valuable to me". Just take note of the feedback, decide whether you want to use it, say thanks, and move on. Arguing with feedback is a great way to burn bridges, trust me.

it's not done? Because when I listen to the link you posted, it seems to just cut off suddenly at 4:12. Maybe you need to put a few more seconds in there so the sound has time to decay, I guess.

I'm honored that I helped inspire a track! :D

Yeah, check out that compressor, and make sure you're not compressing the reverb! That's probably why it sounds so extreme. Be careful about comments like this:

two things: of course you don't see a problem with it--if you did, you wouldn't need external feedback ;)

If you don't like somebody's feedback, I HIGHLY recommend you don't say anything. I get feedback I think is terrible all the time, but the minute you argue with somebody's feedback, the message you're sending is "your input is not valuable to me". Just take note of the feedback, decide whether you want to use it, say thanks, and move on. Arguing with feedback is a great way to burn bridges, trust me.

But I have to say thank you anyways. :/

I was explaining why I didn't want to reflect on your feedback otherwise you would feel like I ignored you. :/ It's not like I didn't like your feedback, I just didn't feel like I needed to address the reverb problem right away.

How do I make the compressor... erh, NOT compress the reverb? It's on the master track.

Oh by the way, I left a few seconds to decay, like you said.

UPDATE... AGAIN:

Version 2.3 has some minor fixes to the main melody.

Got rid of the multiband compressor. Thanks to DrumUltimA for pointing out my reverb problem.

I'm also using a new version naming system so keeping track of my progress isn't a bigger deal than it should be... However I deleted my previous versions because I didn't want to take up space on a temporary server that's not mine.

img.php?fid=341

okay'z we need some mutual critting...no1's bumped my own track in a while (the SM_Norfair one) So if you could do so, thanks a bunch :D

Anyhoo, I must say DrumUltima's crits are very right where the money's at. Hmm...I think the reverb is indeed better but maybe reduce it by like 5% and make it .01 seconds less?? Cuz at certain parts it seems to flood the song...yeah I know it's a pain. The percussion doesn't bother me as much now. But mayhaps add in a LIGHT snare and kick?? Might help to give it some extra juice; just my nub opinion. lol.

okay'z we need some mutual critting...no1's bumped my own track in a while (the SM_Norfair one) So if you could do so, thanks a bunch :D

Anyhoo, I must say DrumUltima's crits are very right where the money's at. Hmm...I think the reverb is indeed better but maybe reduce it by like 5% and make it .01 seconds less?? Cuz at certain parts it seems to flood the song...yeah I know it's a pain. The percussion doesn't bother me as much now. But mayhaps add in a LIGHT snare and kick?? Might help to give it some extra juice; just my nub opinion. lol.

Well I don't think kick and snare are usually found in latin music, but I can add some bongos or something if you want.

EDIT: I stand corrected. :o

And I don't believe in mutual critting... I critted your song, I'm not gonna do it again unless you have a new version up.

Hmm, I think you should back off on the master compressor. It's making the song sound overcompressed and much too loud. Give it some room to breathe! Yeah, wow, the more I listen to the song, the more that compressor has got to go. Sorry.

Also, my previous comment about the reverb on the shakers still stands. Turn down the high end on that reverb! It's making the high end all messy, too. The high damping function on the reverb should do the trick.

Not trying to be negative, but those are a couple things that are REALLY standing out to me.

Also, would you be willing to check either of my WIPs? The links are in my signature.

Hmm, I think you should back off on the master compressor. It's making the song sound overcompressed and much too loud. Give it some room to breathe! Yeah, wow, the more I listen to the song, the more that compressor has got to go. Sorry.

Also, my previous comment about the reverb on the shakers still stands. Turn down the high end on that reverb! It's making the high end all messy, too. The high damping function on the reverb should do the trick.

Not trying to be negative, but those are a couple things that are REALLY standing out to me.

Also, would you be willing to check either of my WIPs? The links are in my signature.

I got rid of the compressor... like, an hour before you posted this. xD

1. Percussion

2. Reverb

Got it.

Update:

Added some bongos for after the solos. It's not much, I've got the rhythm, but I need to make them sound better. Uploading in a bit:

See if the reverb problem was fixed, I turned the high dampening thing down... or was I supposed to turn it up?

img.php?fid=343

Odd, I thought I'd clicked on the most recent WIP, when I posted the compression comment. Much better now, anyways! :?

I think it's a little better, reverb-wise, but you should never hear so much shimmer on a reverb. Ever hear a room that sounds like that? Okay, maybe you have, but did it sound good?

pluginfxfruityreeverb.jpg

I guess I'm referring to both the High Cut and High Damping parameters. I don't know which reverb plugin you're using, but every reverb I've ever come across has had these parameters. Turn 'em way down, cuz that shimmer shouldn't stand out that badly. Add salt to taste. Let sit for half an hour to cool, then serve with a garnish.

Odd, I thought I'd clicked on the most recent WIP, when I posted the compression comment. Much better now, anyways! :?

I think it's a little better, reverb-wise, but you should never hear so much shimmer on a reverb. Ever hear a room that sounds like that? Okay, maybe you have, but did it sound good?

pluginfxfruityreeverb.jpg

I guess I'm referring to both the High Cut and High Damping parameters. I don't know which reverb plugin you're using, but every reverb I've ever come across has had these parameters. Turn 'em way down, cuz that shimmer shouldn't stand out that badly. Add salt to taste. Let sit for half an hour to cool, then serve with a garnish.

quoted for emphasis.

oh yeah, be warned--at around 1:46 or so of your mix, your bass had a drop out!

3:30 needs a lot more going on for a transition to be more effective, right now from around like 3:10 to 3:30 you really start to notice the fact that the same couple instruments are carrying the whole song.

Also, try to add a little more stuff to add least give a little movement in terms of dynamics. Little crescendos to go over the top of the relatively flat dynamic of the piece will give it a lot more motion.