Resizing C Drive in Vista

The Damned

I just got a new computer and am in the middle of setting it up. But I've hit a snag.

First, before anyone says "google it", I have. The instructions to alter and partition your hard drive in Vista isn't the problem, it's getting it to go to the size I want.

Windows and it's various components are currently sitting around 16.8 gigs. I see no reason to have windows and my other non-windows stuff on one large drive, so I want to set C: to about 50 gigs or so. That way, I can keep windows intact and seperate from everything else should I need to do anything with it.

The thing is, Vista refuses to let me get C: any smaller than 345 gigs. I can't make a partition any larger than 120 gigs. No matter what I do, and what I look up, it refuses to allow any other sizes.

Anyone got an idea on how to make windows stop being so stupid when it comes to partition sizes?

Not sure why your Vista is doing that, I've had a partition with Vista as small as 120gb before so dunno what's going on there.

I've been lucky enough to use (for free) Symantec's Partition Magic which worked like a charm when I wanted to split my storage drive into 120gb partitions to try out Windows 7. I'm not sure what other software is out there that's like Partition Magic (the damned [no pun intended] thing is $69.95) but there's a free trial version that might suit your needs. Check the limitations on the free version though. http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Partition-Magic.shtml