Need HDMI

JChan09

So my dad just bought a home theater system. What you need to know about my dad: he's not like me, or most of the people on this board, at all. He doesn't want to tinker around with various configurations in order to get the best sound possible. He just wants something cheap and easy to set up. Therefore, he purchased a cheap, all-in-one home theater system, the Onkyo S5200. The problem: for some reason, that system decided not to utilize the full power of HDMI, and says that if we want surround sound, we also have to connect separate sound cables (super lame). For me, that would be enough to return it straightaway, but I've also been having the problem of not being able to play my PS2 or Wii (using component video) through the system. Now, I've begun to convince Dad the system is worth an upgrade. So my question to you all is what sort of features (aside from the ones the S5200 already has) might be important to someone like my dad (who doesn't care for 100% precision sound or spending a lot of money). This is to ensure we don't get another system and find out it's missing some other critical component. For example, the Yamaha YHT-791 supports Auto Lipsync compensation, which would be great if I discovered the video and audio were out of sync. But I don't know if that's a common problem, especially since that system retails for significantly more than our current one.

good lord learn to format

So my dad just bought a home theater system. What you need to know about my dad: he's not like me, or most of the people on this board, at all. He doesn't want to tinker around with various configurations in order to get the best sound possible. He just wants something cheap and easy to set up.

Therefore, he purchased a cheap, all-in-one home theater system, the Onkyo S5200.

The problem: for some reason, that system decided not to utilize the full power of HDMI, and says that if we want surround sound, we also have to connect separate sound cables (super lame). For me, that would be enough to return it straightaway, but I've also been having the problem of not being able to play my PS2 or Wii (using component video) through the system. Now, I've begun to convince Dad the system is worth an upgrade.

So my question to you all is what sort of features (aside from the ones the S5200 already has) might be important to someone like my dad (who doesn't care for 100% precision sound or spending a lot of money).

This is to ensure we don't get another system and find out it's missing some other critical component. For example, the Yamaha YHT-791 supports Auto Lipsync compensation, which would be great if I discovered the video and audio were out of sync. But I don't know if that's a common problem, especially since that system retails for significantly more than our current one.

much better

anyway, I think it would make more sense for you to tell us what kind of stuff you want rather than have us suggest stuff for you