So my Firebox died

nope. I think it was a faulty unit anyways. It always had overheating problem (lol I know "fire box"), but a couple months ago the preamp blew out for some reason, and then last week the entire unit died. the light went out. I think it still sortof works, it's just now it won't register any connections to the computer.

I think it was a faulty unit anyways.
That's pretty lame. Well, my next interface will most likely be the Firestudio Project which would be an upgrade for you, but if you've got the money, I think the music gods were telling you something. Of course, if the "Firebox" overheats and destroys components, what should I expect from the "Firestudio"!? 8O:tomatoface:

That's pretty lame. Well, my next interface will most likely be the Firestudio Project which would be an upgrade for you, but if you've got the money, I think the music gods were telling you something. Of course, if the "Firebox" overheats and destroys components, what should I expect from the "Firestudio"!? 8O:tomatoface:

Brandon, I do not recommend the Firestudio Project. When I was at GC, we went through at least 4 bad ones in about 6 months on our demo computer. Much like the Xbox, you get a red light of doom and then have to send 'em out on RO. Pretty much since then, I've been wary of Presonus Interfaces.

So you're pretty set on a firewire interface then?

Well the Profire 2626 has been pretty good to me so far, so I'd say you have my recommendation.

OR you gentlemen can check out the Lexicon I-Onix series. They are pretty badass. The preamps are awesome, among other features. Read about 'em here:

http://www.lexiconpro.com/product_list.php (right column)

As a replacement for the Firebox, perhaps try the U22 or the U42S.

For an alternative to the Firestudio, either the FW810S or the U82S should be comparable. One of the most badass things about the FW810S is this:

With built-in dbx Type IV™ conversion, your digital recordings will preserve their dynamic range even when levels get too high. They’ll acquire that forgiving, oversaturated quality once only found on big analog recorders. Type IV conversion actually gives you more headroom, capturing subtle details in higher level signals instead of hard clipping them.

So pretty much it's between that, or the Octane preamps of the Profire (along with some extra routing crap). Both are excellent choices, I think. Money well-spent either way.

Same thing goes for the I-Onix USB series.

I haven't had any real problems with my usb interfaces, but I have gotten surprised a couple of times. (Surprise #1: USB 1.0 limits recording/monitoring options. Surprise #2: Alesis MultiMix 8 USB != Alesis MultiMix 8 USB 2.0)

I was just trying to avoid anymore surprises by going firewire. However, since $700 seems to be the sweet spot for firewire with 8 preamps (too rich for my blood right now), I may have to bow out and go with a nice usb 2.0 interface. My options do open up a little more then. So I'm going to have to look into the U82S. I don't know how it sounds, but it looks sexy.

Yeah, they do look pretty cool, although a bit odd, I think. They sit kind of slanted on your desk, and the 8 will take up a good chunk of space, so that's really the only drawback there. And I guess they're designed so cables can run underneath them, which I guess is practical.

There is one other inexpensive option I can think of for a firewire soundcard - The Alesis IO26.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-iO26-Portable-26-Input-FireWire-Audio-Interface?sku=246031

It used to be $400+ (still is some places) but in the Musicians Friend catalog there's a huge price drop (as you can see in the link). I believe this guy is discontinued though, so if you decide you want it, I'd grab it in a hurry.

I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about it (haven't taken the time to read) but hey, it's a firewire interface by a reasonably reputable brand, and it's super cheap right now. The only quirk I can tell you that I DO know about it is that if I recall correctly, the knobs are endless rotary, which I do not prefer (don't really see why anyone would, when it comes to controlling levels).

But hey, it got good reviews on zzounds http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--ALEIO26

Whoops, also, I totally overlooked that you mentioned MOTU. Another general rule of thumb is that MOTU = good. I've only had good experiences with their hardware. I'm pretty sure JJT has a MOTU interface, he could probably tell you more.

the knobs are endless rotary, which I do not prefer
Yeah, that's a big turn-off. I've also had bad experiences with Alesis. At one point I had two MutliMix 8 USB's and I couldn't get either to work without significant pops/crackles on two different setups. Meh, but that's what return policies are for :)

Thanks for the suggestions Jimmy. You've given me a few things to think about.

Whoops, also, I totally overlooked that you mentioned MOTU. Another general rule of thumb is that MOTU = good. I've only had good experiences with their hardware. I'm pretty sure JJT has a MOTU interface, he could probably tell you more.

I've only heard good things about MOTU as well. I've ordered an MOTU Micro Express MIDI interface that I'll be using as a MIDI interface to my computer when I need it and as a standalone MIDI patch bay for my keyboard rig. I'll post back again once I get it to comment on the quality.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went ahead and picked up an IONIX u22... Gotta say, the thing sounds amazing, the sound comes in so clean compared to my previous unit. In fact, I'd say every single thing about it is better than the firebox...

Except for the fact that I think that it's USB is holding it back performance-wise. FL is spazzing out at the 2ms setting and is completely unusuable at the lowest setting.