I think I have given my MSN account away by mistake.

Dafydd

Someone contacted me on MSN using Willrock's account, giving me a link to a website he said I should check out. I did. I shouldn't have. The url was will.rock.oops-shame-shame.com (DO NOT VISIT IT!). There, I was told to log in using my MSN account. I did so without reading the terms of agreement. Once "logged in" (which I don't think I did, they just stole my login and password, the latter of which I changed immediately after I realized what I had done, but I don't know if that will help), I was taken to a weird website offering to give love life advice using some kind of calculator in exchange for a paid-for subscription involving SMS ... this was where I realized I'd fucked up.

These are the terms and conditions, taken directly from the site:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy:

By filling out this form, you authorize Tubela Management, Inc to spread the word about this 100% real and upcomming Messenger Community Site. You will receive your share of the credit in helping us spread the word. This is a harmless Community site which is offering users a platform to meet each other for free.

We do not share your private information with any third parties. By using our service/website you hereby fully authorize Tubela Management, Inc to send messages of a commercial nature via Instant Messages and E-Mails on behalf of third parties via the information you provide us. This is not a "phishing" site that attempts to "trick" you into revealing personal information. Everything we do with your information is disclosed here. If you are under eighteen (18), you MUST obtain permission from a parent or guardian before using our website/service.

This page is not affiliated with or operated by Microsoft or MSN Network.

ANY LIABILITY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES CAUSED OR ALLEGEDLY CAUSED BY ANY FAILURE OF PERFORMANCE, ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMMUNICATIONS LINE FAILURE, SHALL BE STRICTLY LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT PAID BY OR ON BEHALF OF THE SUBSCRIBER TO THIS SERVICE.

We may temporarily access your MSN account to do a combination of the following: 1. Send Instant Messages to your friends promoting this site. 2. Introduce new entertaining sites to your friends via Instant Messages.

This is a free service. You will not be asked to pay at any time. You will not be subscribed to anything asking for payment. This service is made possible by many hours of human effort.

Tubela Management, Inc reserves the right to change the terms of use / privacy policy at any time without notice. To view the latest version of this privacy policy, simply bookmark this page for future reference.

You understand that this agreement shall prevail if there is any conflict between this agreement and the terms of use you accepted when you signed up with MSN. You also understand that by temporarily accessing your msn account, Tubela Management, Inc is NOT agreeing to MSN's terms of use and therefore not bound by them.

This agreement shall be construed and governed by the law of the republic of Panama. You expressly consent to the exclusive venue and personal jurisdiction of the courts located in the Republic of panama for any actions arising from or relating to this agreement.

If any provision of this agreement is held to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable for any reason, such invalidity, illegality or unenforceability shall not effect any other provisions of this agreement, and this agreement shall be construed as if such invalid, illegal or unenforceable provision had not been contained herein.

Copyright 2008 Tubela Management, Inc

Take this as a warning. If anyone, even people you know, contact you on MSN, giving you a link to something that ends in oops-shame-shame.com, stay the fuck out.

Now... does anyone think they can actually "temporarily access" my MSN account? Now that I've changed my password, can they log in as me? Or can they log in using a fake account that looks just like mine and fool the MSN network they're logged in as me, sending IM's to people in my contact list?

Davydd, they won't be able to temporarily access your account now that you've changed the password. However, they probably scraped all your contacts from the account, so they will probably annoy those people in the future (or already did so while logged into your account). To do so in the future, your friends would need to just accept and click on random messages from strangers; if they're doing this from another e-mail address similar to yours and using your display name, they still won't be in your friends' contact lists.