Today I am going to buy a new console.

Atomic Dog

If money's not an issue for you you definitely should look at the library the two consoles offer and your gaming preferences e.g. do you like puzzle games, RPGs, are you a racing title fan, do you like homebrew stuff or DLC? It's important to think about more than just branding and stuff, because to be honest in the long run the games are going to cost you a lot more than the console itself.

I went with the PS3 - mostly because they threw me a great deal.

80gb system, extra controller, hdmi cable, 3 games (I got to pick two) and 1 blu-ray movie.

I got Fallout and GTA4, along with some game called Little Big Planet.

xD Little Big Planet's actually pretty fun once you play it a little while. It's a great game for multiplayer, too.

How the hell are you on a video game (and music) site without any knowledge of current games?

Maybe, just maybe, he likes some of the music on this site and likes (and liked) playing games but hasn't had the chance to keep up to date with them.

You're welcome.

some game called Little Big Planet.

No idea if you'd like it, but from what I've seen I'd seriously lean towards PS3 on that game alone (my previous argument aside).

Maybe, just maybe, he likes some of the music on this site and likes (and liked) playing games but hasn't had the chance to keep up to date with them.

You're welcome.

You're not from offtop. But I'll be nice: since you couldn't tell, that jab was in jest.

I went with the PS3 - mostly because they threw me a great deal.

80gb system, extra controller, hdmi cable, 3 games (I got to pick two) and 1 blu-ray movie.

I got Fallout and GTA4, along with some game called Little Big Planet.

You might enjoy Killzone 2, MGS4 (is a must) for shooter games. The only Action/adventure game I played was Rachet and Clank Future and that was really, really good if you like cartoony games. The Sega collection looks pretty cool too, but I didn't get that one yet.

I got bored with GTA4 for some reason. I loved the past three games, but GTA4 just didn't appeal to me for some reason. And don't bother playing it online cause its stupid and frustrating.

Let me know how that Little Big Planet turns out. I know you'll be honest about it.

The PS3 is a powerhouse but the 360 is more fun. I have both and I am constantly on the 360. There is simply more fun titles. Also, the 360 is backwards compatible with the original XBox games and the original XBox games are very cheap. The Play Station 3 on the other hand isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games (who the fuck knows why).

If you have an elite TV and sound system, don't discount the PS3's ability to play BlueRay discs because the BlueRay player it comes with is actually really nice and operates quite smooth. If you just want to game like no other than get the XBox though.

To give a definitive answer, if you want to go with the safer bet buy the XBox. I have more fun on it than PS3 by far. When you do buy it purchase a copy of Ninja Gaiden II....and a 12 pack of beer.

Edit: And no AD, the 360 controller doesn't suck it's built much better than the original one.

I base my opinion off being a former PS3 owner; I only played my friend's 360 and never owned one. Probably gonna piss a few people off but here goes:

Get a PS3. The whole "xbox 360 pwnz!" is really kind of a fad based on hype IMO. Many of my friends have had to put up with the whole Red Ring of Death, and don't have good stories to tell about dealing with Microsoft about it. If you do decide to go 360, only good reason I could think of would be for games that aren't on PS3.

Best reason to get a PS3: HD DVD is dead, and Blu-ray is here to stay. The mere possibilities with Blu-ray mean we haven't seen Sony's best days with this system yet. You can play HD movies, which are getting cheaper now because Blu-ray plants are springing up production after winning the war. HD DVD movies may not get as cheap to manufacture, or games.

Blu-ray also just supports more data because it's newer, better technology. And they also designed the specs for it intelligently, something DVD never accomplished. The programming for the games is written in a specific track so it can be optimally retrieved with minimal loading, making game loading faster.

Downside is newer systems aren't backwards compatible with PS2 discs, but they will still play PS1 games ok. They did this to make them cheaper. PS Store actually has a lot of classics available you can download for a low price though. The store is also very good to put out demos for many games, so you can try before you buy. Controllers are pretty much the same, never had wireless problems with them. Downside is when you gotta charge them the USB cord is like 6 ft., which is genuinely obnoxious to sit that close to your system (might get 2 so you can always have one charging).

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard the PS3-exclusive Infamous is really good.

The game play is well done but the storyline is mediocre at best.

Honestly I didn't really care for it. After I rented it my brother played through it and won it in my bedroom. He really like it but I thought it was really dull and linear the whole way through myself.

The following is my honest opinion. I do not own, or plan to own, either the XBOX 360 or PS3 entertainment systems. This opinion is mostly based off of friends system's.

I think the 360 is best for games right now, this very moment. It's got an impressive backlog, especially if you've never owned an xbox before, and has great dlc, along with NATAL (lul) and good looking prospects for the future. Plus the controller is actually a lot better, once you get used to it (I use it for my PC, so I guess I can't really say that honestly, since I don't play many 360 games with it)

That being said, the PS3 will probably win the war in games of the future. By this I mean, right now there are games coming out for it that look promising, and there are games out now that are great, by no means am I detracting from them, just saying the 360 has more "great" games now. But I see the PS3 being similar to the PS2, in that 5-10 years after owning it, you will still find yourself playing it. And there will still be great games being released for it. Maybe. On the plus side, it's a great blu-ray player, so there's that.

So yeah. Play great games now, or maybe hold off on the chance of there being great games in the future.

Also I guess I should note live/whatever the fuck the 360 uses >>>> psn

I guess I should also also note I did not read a single other post in this thread, including anything past PS3 or XBOX360 in your post. So yeah.

i own both. i work at a game store. here's what i see and what i hear.

i prefer my 360. there's a lot of new features coming to it, arcade is the best online service around (and you can get a year for 35 dollars if you keep your eyes open), and if you get a new jasper unit (look for 12.1=12v on the back of the box) then you've got an almost silent unit that will never overheat. ps3 games are more expensive, tend to have about the same level of graphics, and there's significantly fewer of them available. XBLA (live arcade) is the online distribution center for 360, and they've got some phenomenal games as well.

i can go much more in depth if you'd like, but i have limited time currently.

Guys, read the thread. He already bought a PS3. He doesn't give a shit about 360 anymore.

Here are some good PS3 games worth checking out. (He's already got Fallout3, GTA4, and LBP for you tards who didn't read the thread)

Shooters:

Metal Gear Solid 4

Call of Duty 4

Bioshock

Killzone 2

The Orange Box (It's better on PC though!)

Dead Space

Unreal Tournament 3

Fighters:

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Street Fighter 4

King of Fighters 12

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

Everything Else:

Valkyria Chronicles

WipEout HD

Ratchet & Clank Future

Uncharted

Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Devil May Cry 4

Rock Band 1 & 2

I don't own either system (proud adult Wii-owner here), and don't really game as much as I used to. Nonetheless, I can offer my opinion based on my experience in the retail end of the gaming industry.

The 360 tends to have the better variety of games overall. There are, of course, exclusives on both, but the 360 tends to have a few more. I will also echo that multi-platform games tend to be developed for the 360 first, so it has that advantage.

That said, the 360 is not without its problems. Without an interest in multiplayer, especially online multiplayer, its uses are somewhat limited. The same can be said of any of the other consoles out there, but this is especially true in the case of the 360, which sports the biggest focus on Live. Another problem, though this one has lessened somewhat recently, is that the 360 has a bad track record and a history of not working. More than any other system, 360s seem to break the most often. Some are older, yes, but I don't personally understand why my 1987 NES still works quite well but a 2008 XBox 360 breaks down.

Another problem with the 360, though this one plagues the PS3 as well, is the lack of RPGs. There are some, but it really depends on what you like. As a JRPG gamer, I love the Tales series, which is currently only on the 360, but coming to the PS3 in the near future. RPGs are currently thriving on the DS and, to a lesser extent, the Wii. Shooters and sports games abound on the 360.

Despite its problems, I would probably still recommend a 360 over a PS3. It has more exclusives, and the games don't need to be installed on a limited hard drive (though I know this isn't really much of an issue). Think about what types of games you like to play, and go with whatever you feel is best.