OCR01889 - Mega Man 2 "Dr. Wily Symphonic"

djpretzel

It sounds like Wily has been added to Super Smash Brawl. lol I absolutely love the interpretation to it; a very unique twist in terms of composition compared to other rock, metal, and techno mixes. The choir toward the end could use a little more beef in terms of the stab, but since it didn't have a dominant role so it's decent. The break with the harp is great, and repetition on it doesn't hurt either. The brass is also a good addition. Swelling on the horns could be used and they could be more dominant but it's good for what it is. Marimba and xylophone leads are excellent and propel this mix to a 8/10.

:nicework:

Hmm.... I honestly wasn't really digging this mix until someone mentioned Super Smash Bros. NOWWWWWWWWWWWW I get it...... :)

As long as you're imaging this as some sort of Capcom ripoff featuring all the boss characters in a wild intro scene of its own clusterfuck battle scene, this mix fully delivers. Very clean and efficient.

7.1/10

This song stays remarkably close to the source material, which can normally be a distinct minus. That said, the instrumentation is smooth, and really plays well to the actual theme. When you split away and went into the calmer original stuff, it made for a fairly compelling listen. I wouldn't mind seeing more of your own original interpretation in this sandwiched between the two verses of Wily's theme.

In terms of instrumentation, your horns and brass section sounded a little on the weak side. This isn't in terms of sampling, however. The thing I take issue with is the volume in the punchier parts of the song. They just don't come off as powerful as they should. I'm not really sure if I liked the snare sample either, but it's so far in the background it's generally unobtrusive.

Overall, though? I love the source track, and I love your arrangement of it. It's faithful, it's smooth, and it's instrumented well with plenty of depth. Well worth the download for a job well done.

I don't personally have a problem with mixes sticking close to the original, and I really don't understand why anyone else does, as long as no one else has done the same thing with the same song before. This is new enough, simply because it's (for this source) a new genre.

For being an orchestral mix though, it feels really rocky, rhythmically speaking. I think the drums shouldn't have been so much "kick, snare", but rather "snare, snare", with snares both on the 1st and 3rd beats of the measure as well as the 2nd and 4th. It's like a rock remix with orchestral instruments. Definitely worth a listen, and I appreciate the effort, but this could really have been made more "orchestral" with a few small tweaks.

Thank you for restoring my faith in Wily! To be honest I always thought the original track was a bit overrated--good, but not great. This mix may be a comparatively straightforward recreation, but your arrangement really reinforces what was already there and makes the song really "pop". A little more variation wouldn't have hurt, but this mix does a fantastic job just playing it straight.

I've been waiting for this one for a while - it's been on the 'To be Posted' section for some time, now. It was very good, but not the best rendition evar. Oh well, it was still really good :). I liked the subtlety you used throughout, though - it makes full use of the orchestra rather than beating us down with the awesome theme :). The choir is cool when it's there.

By the way, has anyone else abused their right to the xylophone in high school by playing the Wily theme on it? Hearing the xylophone in here used like that brings back memories :-o.

I remember hearing the WIP of this quite a while ago and didn't even realize it was the same song till I went back and checked. This may not be reaching any new creative highs, but it's still a very solid orchestral rendition of a song that's seen many mixes over the years.

It's Mega Man 2, Wily Stage 1, Orchestral version. And it's pretty friggen sweet, nice job!

• 3 months later...

Yeah, in the interests of beating a dead horse I'm gonna compare this to Brawl's soundtrack as well, especially the flutes and the choir at the end - in that context I think this mix would be absolutely perfect. Some of the arrangement sounds a bit amateurish and repetitive but that doesn't stop this from being an enjoyable take on one of my favorite themes from any Mega Man game :-)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

this song has always been a favorite of mine and i have heard some AWFUL renditions/remixes of it, but this is fantastic it adds a whole new element to the crazed doctor's castle, fantastic:razz:

i would like your permission to use this remix in a game i'm creating in September as the penultimate BGM

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01889 - Mega Man 2 "Dr. Wily Symphonic"