OCR01128 - *YES* Puzzle Bobble 'Silver Dragon's Bubbles'

djpretzel

Gets some more variety at the end. Quirky; I liked it... -djp

HI.

It's a "Puzzle Bobble / Bust-A-Move" remix, named "Silver Dragon's Bubbles".

Length: 3min 21 sec. File Size: 3,07 MB.

Some infos about the games (including sounds and music):

http://taito.overclocked.org/pbobble.html

I've got an OCR profile ("COUCOU"):

http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6655

but here I confirm some informations:

Remixer NAME: COUCOU

WEB: http://gjandot.free.fr/

MAIL: gjandot@freesurf.fr

Thanks.

THE DUCKS HAVE TAKEN OVER. ITS ALL UP FOR HUMANITY AT THIS POINT.

I imagine a lo tempo dance room full of poping baloons and ducks all over the floor. And a bunch of people are stepping on the ducks.

..ok well, I really dont have any other way to explain whats going on here.

It could use better instrument choice for the entire beginning and middle.

Song only gets good in th e last minute or so. I'd like to have seen more of that going on.

One suggestion would be to try working with some of the modern gems of technology - reverb, delay, mastering etc.

NO

One suggestion would be to try working with some of the modern gems of technology - reverb, delay, mastering etc.

Can't stress this enough. The mix sounds a bit...dry? Not much depth to the sound here; sounds Casio keyboardish. Not that the samples suck...I suppose it's part of the goofy charm, but a lot of it sounds like default preset Fruity business.

Drums could come out a bit more too.

I dunno...seems like a lot more work could go into this. The arrangement's pretty basic too, and those solos at the end sound obligatory rather than natural.

NO

I like this one a lot. It DOES sound a bit dry and empty, though it reminds me a little of "Popcorn." Personally, I don't mind the ending, and while I don't really want to make a habit of handing out yesses like pamphlets at a college fair, I'm gonna have to say that the quirky appeal makes up for the other shortcomings. I personally like the choice of synths as well.

YES

D

I'd like to preface this with saying that I played Bust-a-move so much in my earlier days, that I think this song is now a dominant part of my subliminal mind.

The percussion is a bit more subdued than I would like, and an EQ-fest would more likely fix that than an actual volume increase. E.G., fatness in the snare (~250 Hz), Thump in the Kick (80-150 Hz), etc etc etc. But given the silly-ass nature of the piece, I don't think it subracts too much from it.

The synths are well programmed, obviously a lot of care was put into their portamento and timbre in general. The gutteral, analogish bass works great with the more floaty leads.

Enter 2:25, the lead solo. Very well done. A bit on the louder side, doesn't blend as well as it could, but still acceptable. I actually like the "Casio Keyboard" sound to it. Mmmm... Nostalgia.

Aside from minor balance, EQ and blend issues, I see no reason not to pass this.

JA (yes, auf Deutsch)

-D

rubber ducky, you're the one / rubber ducky, oh so fun

Coucou aka CUCKOO wants to lighten our often overly-serious selves with an off-the-wall bouncy mix that sports a bubbly synth and other squeaky clean bathtime sounds, making a rubbery arrangement of a game that doesn't try to be cool. The only weakpoint in notation lies in the drumwork, which is simplistic; other than that, this piece gets props for the leads and bass. The production doesn't scream finesse, but there are times when creative, shameless fun is good enough.

YES

I was going to vote on this earlier, but coma and db voted first. Since there is some cause for concern I'll vote anyway. I agree with some of the issues here. The production quality by current OC standards is kind of dated. But that being said it's really kind of likeable. For me the production quality is mid 80s classic instead of what I'd classify as bad. Some of the arrangement is a close interpretation, but the new additions make it good enough. This is one of those times where this has those intangibles of what makes a fun mix.

The ending solo synth section can only be thought of as a very good thing.

I think this is a really fun and entertaining mix so I'll add to the YES.