OCR00122 - Castlevania "Wicked Orchestra"

Castlevania 'Wicked Orchestra'

One of my favourite Peeple's pieces. The mix starts out using fairly stern strings and hits to build the mood, then a cool drum loop enters the fray which is assisted by some tambourine and extra hats on occasion, and although not really that original, really works and adds real pace to the song. Lotsa reverb here, ok panning, and a good choice of sounds. Would have been great if Peeps could have gotten some slightly more realistic strings, as it would have made the mix sound quite professional (somebody get this guy an expensive synth dammit!!). The aforementioned drums are a little loud and while I don't hear any real distortion, it's awfully close to breaking (just lucky the drums are in the centre mainly on their own). Nice work, and the alternating of different strings to play the same melody adds a little more interest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

This was the remix that changed the way I viewed original video game music. I had always classified it as one of two ways "midi but sentimental or over the top orchestrations". I never thought I would hear something that completely survived on its own merits as a song.

This piece is absolutely flawless. It's the first piece I use when trying to get people into game music or OCR (and it almost always works). I'm constantly checking for Peeples updates because I think he does wonders capturing the emotion of the music.

keep it up

<3

• 2 months later...

As a blend of electronic and orchestral styles, I don't think it works as well as mp's Midnight Slayer or Digimatic's Simon's Town, but it's quite good in it's own right. It seems to have a stronger orchestral feel than other Castlevania mixes, and the style really makes it sound fresh compaired to, say, Chikusho Sound Team's version of the song.

The very begginning scared the crap out of me when the cymbal crashed at 00'01 seconds. After that, the attacks of all instruments were okay. Then mistake to listening to a song for the first time on headphones. It'll blow you away.

Peeples was one of my favorite remixers back in the days of yore. And I still listen to his tunes. This song has a gothic but original spin on it. The drums are looping, but the orchestration is awesome and very well built.

BTW I *HEART* the pizzacato strings!

Good work, Peeples, and if you're not dead or not fresh out of ideas, do some more remixes!

I loved the pizzicatos, a high quality patch right there.

The breakbeaty stuff is full quality. Very good indeed. Another quality mix from Scott. Not genre defining, I didn't crap myself with joy at listening to it, but a very good mix in it's own right, and a quality take with orchestration on the original.

The contrast between orchestral and heart-pumping pseudo-breakbeat is done superbly here. I pretty much agree with everyone else; this is an excellent piece with no noticable flaws. If I had to make one complaint about it, it would be that the drums are somewhat boring after awhile (then again, I HAVE listened to it at least a hundred times) without any variation in them. But everything else? Awesome. I'd say 9/10.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the first OCremix song I ever listened to, so I thought I'd honor it by posting on this one first. Its what made me decide to check out this site really. I'll join the bandwagon and say the pizzicatos are divine. All in all, the best way to describe this song for me anyways: Its like a (metaphorical) orgasm in my ears. And I'll leave it at that, because the people who posted before me said anything else that needs to be said. Simply amazing work, Scott.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

What a wicked orchestra

Mixed with a bad-ass techno drum loop makes it all the better but what I love most is the melody

A better instrument couldn't have been chosen for those bitter-sweet, short, pizzicatto notes

I'm once again impressed by Scott Peeples!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let Scott know that his mix is still appreciated. :D

I listen to OC Remixes all day at work and I always love it when this mix gets queued up. This is one of the first OCRs I downloaded, it's also one that's kept me coming back for more.

Take care.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00122 - Castlevania "Wicked Orchestra"