Saria's Song as a RAGTIME Jazz Piano piece!

Hi! I had the inspiration to write a piano piece based on Saria's Song, and I wanted to share it with fellow Zelda fans & general VGM lovers as well...I mixed it with Ragtime and Jazz Piano styles, with a solo section in the middle.

http://adjix.com/spyn

This is the description I wrote on my Youtube page:

Legend of Zelda's Saria Song as a jazz piano piece!!

Early in the morning hours I was inspired to write this piece in one sitting when I was listening to Saria's Song in my head and suddenly realized that the main melodic motif is a 3-note repeating figure, which is characteristically similar to the "ragtime riff", which creates a polyrhythmic through grouping straight 8ths in 3. After this realization a ragtime version of Saria's Song started playing in my head, and by the time I started running through a solo on the progression I knew this was something I needed to write down. Hopefully there are others who are interested in this concept as much as I was in writing it. There are a large number of solos in the middle section that are on top of the original chord progression, which is mostly original material but in line with jazz interpretations of standards (that is, almost adding more new things than retaining the old through solo sections). I tried to make sure that the original concept of it being based around the catchy Saria's Song was kept, so there is later section where the original song is quoted more bluntly and somewhat humorously.

Dude,

This Piano piece is amazing! From 13 seconds on, I'm completely hooked, and the part at 55 seconds is my favorite. I've probably listened to this for over an hour today, easy. It's just so upbeat and catchy....

I was checking out your other Youtube vids and you have a huge amount of talent. Can't wait to see this get approved and can't wait for your next piece.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, this is great. Hard to judge sound quality on youtube, tho. You got some skills. If you have an mp3 of this and there aren't any terrible production problems with it I see no reason ocr would reject it. Source seems to be used pretty much through the piece, more or less dominantly, well interpreted...

This smells like YES. And I like it. :D

I'm glad that something with a several minute solo could be catchy! I like the idea of a solo still being followable even if it's still definitely a solo.

Dude,

This Piano piece is amazing! From 13 seconds on, I'm completely hooked, and the part at 55 seconds is my favorite. I've probably listened to this for over an hour today, easy. It's just so upbeat and catchy....

I was checking out your other Youtube vids and you have a huge amount of talent. Can't wait to see this get approved and can't wait for your next piece.

-Steve

• 1 month later...

Was this one played and recorded live? There's some signs that this particular recording was sequenced (or played using samples). I'm not really experienced enough to tell.

The interpretation is amazing though. This is a very solid piece and I think it would have no problems passing if, as Rozovian said, there are no production issues with the recording.

This. Is. Awesome. Not only do I love jazz piano, but I love it even more when it's played this well.

I say as long as you sent an mp3 quality version to the judges I don't see why this wouldn't get accepted. I don't think there's enough wrong with it to make it a no. Keep up the good work!

I've also seen some of your other arrangements, they're all pretty awesome too.

this is really cool. however the perfect sequencing really takes away from it, as does the sound of the piano itself. it is sequenced right? i dont know your piano playing skils but that 32nd note run sounds way too cleanly pulled off. but the solos themselves all fit very well and really i'm being picky for the sake of giving your constructive criticism or something like that. great concept, and I like how it's not JUST strictly ragtime. the soloing language itself seems a bit more advanced which is cool, and the latin thing you did in the bass at the one part was cool. i love the koji kondo tunes that are originally ragtime but hearing other themes from not mario in that style is great and very fitting.

• 2 weeks later...