Ridley's Theme- Chargin' My Lazer! (do not critique, thread is for collab members to discuss)

Nabeel Ansari

Hello.

This thread is only for the following forum members to discuss the WIP:

1. Epitaph (Will play electric guitar when arrangement is completed)

2. Jabond (Will play electric guitar when arrangement is completed)

3. DudemanScott (Composer)

4. Neblix ("The other" composer)

You can critique if you want but only if it's something urgent and objective. (Not something that you want to see or something that is a matter of opinion)

This is, well, because we really just want to discuss what we're gonna do with it, it's not really up for people to crit because a lot of behind the scenes stuff is just going to go on in this thread and stuff you guys says is probably stuff we're going to fix anyway.

However you may post comments if you want.

Current version of WIP:

img.php?fid=367

Scott's current... erm, version:

http://scotthacks.webs.com/Song2.mid

I'm going to weave Scott's version into mine; I've already taken the organ part and put it in mine. This is because we accidentally did two different versions and neither of us want to scrap our versions.

The electric guitar WILL be replaced by live recording! I just had some fun with FL Slayer as a placeholder.

Well you see the thing is...

None of us were there. I highly found rereading one of my books from New Adventures of Dragonlance series a lot more interesting than the chat...

Or maybe I just forgot to go to the chat because of Summer reading. xD

Anyways,

I'm waiting on Scott for some new parts to add.

Here are some things I will also fix when Scott get backs to me:

The organ (It's a church organ not a rock organ)

Velocities on that damn Slayer.

Yeah, missing the chat wasn't on purpose. I just thought i'd be home by then :/

Anyways, let me know when get that updated. :)

I will, promise.

I just have to work some stuff out with Scott because when Scott started doing another version it completely threw me off.

In addition to making mine sound like his, I have to rearrange my patterns to capture all of the elements he created in his version.

I will, promise.

I just have to work some stuff out with Scott because when Scott started doing another version it completely threw me off.

In addition to making mine sound like his, I have to rearrange my patterns to capture all of the elements he created in his version.

Working on the remix some more right now...

Alright, I worked on it a little, and here's what I have...

I don't have unlimited access to the computer, so I can't work on it all day.

Let me know what you think.

Basically, I just threw in some shot guitar "solo", but Epitaph and Jbond can change that up to make it sound cool. I know you can't make a good guitar solo just by putting 16th notes in time... (a true guitar solo has a free-like feeling that isn't right on the 16th note marker)

Um... I can play the piano part in this song, even though it's not a big part.

I haven't even tried to fool around with volume of the different instruments, and I'll get to that later. I'm relying on Neblix to give me some of the effects and sounds that makes a song unique.

NeblixSaber is pretty much handling the "trace"-like part of the song, while I handle the uh... "rock" side of the song, and once we mix it together, it will be really cool.

Im working on it! :)

P.S. For some reason the MIDI doesn't include some of the drum sounds... or maybee it's just my computer. I'll be making a mp3 when I get the chance so that won't be an issue.

It's at the same link at last time.

Alright, I worked on it a little, and here's what I have...

I don't have unlimited access to the computer, so I can't work on it all day.

Let me know what you think.

Basically, I just threw in some shot guitar "solo", but Epitaph and Jbond can change that up to make it sound cool. I know you can't make a good guitar solo just by putting 16th notes in time... (a true guitar solo has a free-like feeling that isn't right on the 16th note marker)

Um... I can play the piano part in this song, even though it's not a big part.

I haven't even tried to fool around with volume of the different instruments, and I'll get to that later. I'm relying on Neblix to give me some of the effects and sounds that makes a song unique.

NeblixSaber is pretty much handling the "trace"-like part of the song, while I handle the uh... "rock" side of the song, and once we mix it together, it will be really cool.

Im working on it! :)

P.S. For some reason the MIDI doesn't include some of the drum sounds... or maybee it's just my computer. I'll be making a mp3 when I get the chance so that won't be an issue.

It's at the same link at last time.

Well like I said before don't stray too far from my WIP otherwise it's gonna be a pain to adapt into mine. :tomatoface:

And solos are usually made up on the spot... if neither Jabond nor Epitaph can do solos, we'll just write one for them (or just use the one you have)

You'll have to give me a few days to copy what you have, so give me some time and you won't be disappointed.

And I'm not composing anymore, I'll just follow your MIDI's to adapt into better sounds. Keep at it. I'll do a synth solo after the solo so I'm not completely left out of the arrangement.

This will be interesting, Neblix, your start has got some nice atmosphere (and the proper time sig), whereas dude... I mean man... I mean scott, you've made use of the B part of the source and got some nice ideas for drums fills and dynamics. So far, this is looking like a promising collab, so make sure to keep it together. Don't forget to use the B and C parts. :P Watch the time signatures and keep backups of everything. Good luck guys. :D

That's some pretty ambitious/spastic guitar work. I hope the guitar-playing dudes are up to it ;)

Well most of it is due to playing with FL Slayer... and some serious flangus.

The sound I was going for is the sound from Metamorphic Rock or One Winged Angel (Advent Children)

Hey Neblix, We're using your intro, ok?

YEEEEES!!!!

... I mean, okay.

Okay, updated roles:

Scott- Arrangement

Jabond- Main guitar

Epitaph- Soloist and Rhythm guitar

Neblix- "The Sound Guy" (and writes synth solo following Epitaph's guitar solo)

UPDATE:

img.php?fid=372

I hope that's the gist of what you wanted, Scott. I know it's rough and messy, I just wanted to know if I was on the right track.

Scott, it's actually better if you just keeping working on your file instead of taking MIDI's of mine, so keep at it and I'll work on making it sound like yours.

Note to Epitaph: When you do the solo, I'll send you the rhythm guitar track that Jabond is going to play alongside with.

You should probably practice a few days afterwards before you send me your final solo because it needs to fit with the rhythm guitar.

Last note: Make sure you're writing in 5/4, Scott. Some of the timing was messed up when I imported to FL.

Okay, updated roles:

I hope that's the gist of what you wanted, Scott. I know it's rough and messy, I just wanted to know if I was on the right track.

Scott, it's actually better if you just keeping working on your file instead of taking MIDI's of mine, so keep at it and I'll work on making it sound like yours.

Last note: Make sure you're writing in 5/4, Scott. Some of the timing was messed up when I imported to FL.

#1- Can you please send me the MIDI file of yours though, because there's some things that would sound better that I can change... Basically, the intro is a little too long. I like the drums fading in though! But make sure that it is trance going into rock...

And, I need to write in 4/4 at some parts, such as measure 6-8, and for measure 9 I do 9/8 time to have 9 eighth notes in a measure leading up to the key change, although I could just do triplets... In measure 10 i go back into 5/4, up until measure 13, where it's 4/4 again, then 5/4 at measure 16, and where it slows down, that is 4/4 again, and I'm making a part that leads into another key change which is the one the song started with. (*phew!*)

:tomatoface:

So... could you send me the MIDI to dudemanscott@gmail.com ?

Thanks!

Updated again. I'm now working on getting back to the original music... It's complicated.

For NeblixSaber - Could you import this into FL and just send me the MP3 file? (With nothing else) I just want to see how it sounds on FL.

www.scotthacks.webs.com/Song2.mid

MIDI's are instructions for a computer, therefore MIDI's don't "sound" like anything. I can't import your MIDI to FL and give you one file, because there are dozens of instruments I could subsitute. When I import the MIDI, I have the notes, but they don't sound until I use a MIDI out (like from a sampler like Sytrus or Fl Slayer)

As for your MIDI export, do you want me to just put some random instrument choices?

EDIT:

On second thought, this is becoming too much of a hassle with two different WIP's from two different programs.

Just go on and make your WIP, and when you have the final version all done and completed, send it to Jabond and Epitaph. When they play the electric guitar send me the tracks of their recordings and send me a MIDI of your arrangement. I'll do the final instrumentation and mastering (in addition to adding a synth solo.

MIDI's are instructions for a computer, therefore MIDI's don't "sound" like anything. I can't import your MIDI to FL and give you one file, because there are dozens of instruments I could subsitute. When I import the MIDI, I have the notes, but they don't sound until I use a MIDI out (like from a sampler like Sytrus or Fl Slayer)

As for your MIDI export, do you want me to just put some random instrument choices?

EDIT:

On second thought, this is becoming too much of a hassle with two different WIP's from two different programs.

Just go on and make your WIP, and when you have the final version all done and completed, send it to Jabond and Epitaph. When they play the electric guitar send me the tracks of their recordings and send me a MIDI of your arrangement. I'll do the final instrumentation and mastering (in addition to adding a synth solo.

ohhh... ok its different in finale.

ok ill keep on my WIP:tomatoface:

ohhh... ok its different in finale.

ok ill keep on my WIP:tomatoface:

No, it shouldn't be different in Finale.

It's different for your computer. Every computer interprets MIDI's there own way, which is why when I play the MIDI in Quicktime it plays your computer's version.

However, when I play it with my own MIDI player, it plays it MY computer's way, therefore it sounds different.

If you imported a MIDI to Finale, it would not play unless you put your own instruments.

Alright. So I'll scrap mine, when you give me a final version that's complete and you have no intention of adding to it contact Jabond and Epitaph, I'll do the final stuff.

No, it shouldn't be different in Finale.

It's different for your computer. Every computer interprets MIDI's there own way, which is why when I play the MIDI in Quicktime it plays your computer's version.

However, when I play it with my own MIDI player, it plays it MY computer's way, therefore it sounds different.

If you imported a MIDI to Finale, it would not play unless you put your own instruments.

Alright. So I'll scrap mine, when you give me a final version that's complete and you have no intention of adding to it contact Jabond and Epitaph, I'll do the final stuff.

In finale, you can import an MIDI and have it play without selecting different instruments. And don't scrap yours, I like the ambiance of the intro.

In finale, you can import an MIDI and have it play without selecting different instruments. And don't scrap yours, I like the ambiance of the intro.

Finale probably has presets that automatically replace the channels.

I'll keep the intro for now when you have the final arrangement done I'll redo the intro to match it.