Savior (Power metal track for video game)

jabond23

Since my last WIPs on here, i've been working diligently to try and improve both my writing and mixing skills. So here's my new song called Savior. Its basically and epic sounding power metal track. Its pretty damn catchy so i'm hoping you guys like it.

This is actually for a video game project that i was contacted to the write the music for.

img.php?fid=374

or

stats.png

• 3 weeks later...

Well, turns out the project wanted more of an electronic feel. So i'm writing techno/electronic sounding tracks for 2 different fand made Mega Man Battle games.

Anyways. I added a ton of stuff to this track. As well as majorly adjust all the effects and levels. It should be near finished now. I'm not quite sure what i'll use this for yet though. Probably put it up with my other stuff on newgrounds. :)

stats.png

I really like the intro, and the way the percussion comes in. I could suggest you try different pitches too, because now it's always the same pitch. It could sound a little more versatile that way. Is the acoustic sampled? It sounds like it is, but playing with velocities might work here.

I'm not a fan of the double bass drum beat, but that's just me (it's power metal sure). I would bring the guitars to the front more (in other words, boost the volume a little). Once the double bass drum beat continues again, I'd try adding some more cymbal hits so that it's not always two hits per bar.

I also think that vocals would work in this song.

Cool breakdown ~halfway through the song and the acoustic part is okay too. I only wish the guitars were more thick. Also, it sounds to me like a few times the chords are played a little late (not much but enough to notice).

Once the solo begins, first I'm thinking: "not again the solos" but the dual guitars work. So I'll give you a break this time. Also, this time the solo doesn't sound as random as in your last song I heard, so there's a definite improvement. Same goes for the synth solo, I like the sound and it's pretty well done.

The transition to acoustic is fluent enough. But again, I think the distortion guitars step in some milliseconds late.

The outro works, but it could be better. I like the idea (classic rock ending), but the actual end is a bit too sudden and steep. Especially the choir track (I think?) sounds a little awkward there. I'd try to make the ending slightly longer and have everything fade out in the end, or something.

Also, I noticed the lack of toms in the whole song. There might have been them somewhere (like in the outro), but I'd use a little more throughout the whole thing.

Overall, I think this song IS a lot better than your older songs. As a conclusion I'll list briefly again some of the changes I would suggest:

-Thicker, and a little bit more louder guitars

-More toms / overall drum hits (cymbals) for the drum track

-Add vocals

-Check the timing of the guitar tracks

-Little bit more work on the outro

After that the rest will be nitpicking imo (and a job for someone with more experience than me to criticize :)

Yeah, to be fair, that other song you heard was a really old track that i kidna "remastered" by adding a bass line and such.

As for this track, i can't sing, so i don't plan on adding vocals anytime soon. Unless anyone else wants to do it, that'd be cool. I would love for this track to have vocals though. I listen to a lot of metal, and i can't really hear where the guitars are slightly off time. Maybe the acoustic part right before the final chorus, but that's all i really hear. I know some people don't like the double bass drums, but yeah, its definitely power metal sounding. :) I plan on fixing the outro, cause both the timing of it and the solo don't really match up well with the rest of the song. I did it as a kinda last minute thing cause i couldn't think of a better way to end the track. There are toms in there, but i gotta turn up the volume on them. They get kinda drowned out with everything else. I'm also gonna add some extra cymbal hits to vary the patterns.

I appreciate the feedback though.

I pretty much agree with diseased project here. I'd also say, adjust some of the velocities on your drum track just to vary them up, because each hit sounds almost exactly the same strength. maybe i'm imagining it, but it was pretty noticeable to me. otherwise, i thought the composition and execution on the whole was pretty intense, so well done. i could think of nothing but 80s metal while listening to this, though for some reason i kept thinking of the glam metal hairstyles. guess they're burned into my head. i think you and my brother would have a lot to talk about, he's into shred guitar, and quite the skilled soloist himself.

First off I gotta say this definitely has promise. I listen to a lot of power metal myself, and this definitely fits.

I do, however, agree with Diseased Project. I does need a bit of work. And it could definitely use some vocals, or more of a melody if you plan on making it an instrumental track.

With a bit of work I'd totally add it to my music collection right along side DragonForce, Blind Guardian, Kamelot, and the like.

Keep working on it. Like I said, it does have promise.

Hope to hear more soon!

This is not relevant to the topic, but did you say you're writing original tunes for fan made video games? That sounds like fun! Is this in a fan-game making community somewhere on the internetz? I'd be interested in playing some megaman fan games myself... though I have to admit I'd totally love to work on an snes style rpg with somebody at some point.

How'd you get involved with something like that?

This is not relevant to the topic, but did you say you're writing original tunes for fan made video games? That sounds like fun! Is this in a fan-game making community somewhere on the internetz? I'd be interested in playing some megaman fan games myself... though I have to admit I'd totally love to work on an snes style rpg with somebody at some point.

How'd you get involved with something like that?

I'm not really sure if there's a community, per se, but i was contacted via youtube. There's actually 3 different fan made Mega Man Battle Network games i'm writing music for. Although the third one i'm not really involved with so much anymore. Ego issues with the project peoples. Anyways, i posted a thread a little while ago with some music i wrote for the video game. The ones in that thread sound more like they belong in a Final Fantasy game. And working on a SNES style rpg would be awesome!

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25296

The 2 fan made Battle Network projects i'm writing music for right now:

MMBN Project Legacy: http://s1.zetaboards.com/MMBN_Legacy_CxB/index/

MMBN 7: http://z3.invisionfree.com/bn7project/index.php?act=idx

Small update. I've begun to fix some of the issues with my track. I've fix the muddyness problem of the whole track as well as layering some more drums to give them more power. The tom toms volume and EQ is fixed so you can hear them better now as well s the cymbals too. Fixed some general EQ and volume issues and slightly reworked the outro. There's no solo currently in the outro. I just can't think of a good one right now.

I still don't have any vocals. I can't sing for the life of me, just play guitar. So, until i find someone who's interested in doing the vocals, i'm gonna have to come up with a lead melody for some of the parts.

stats.png