Is America ready for a trance/dance music themed video game?

8BitBliss

I think you guys have the stuff mixed. The shit they play on the radio is definitely not hip hop. Hip hop artists have depth to their lyrics and kinda educates you while rap has no depth and it's mainly about money, sex, drugs i.e. the stuff you hear on the radio. Don't get me wrong though I completely understand where you guys are comin from because I don't see how people can listen to the stuff on the radio now and it's all trance influenced but then they listen to real trance and they're like I can't listen to this. But please let's not get hip hop and rap mixed up. While the beats of hip hop are heavy on sampling, they never front like they didn't rip the sounds from somewhere and if synths are used they're never any trance type sounds. You guys are smart, you'd be able to tell the difference, hip hop is actually worth listening to lol. My apologies for the wall of text lol.

I've never understood this dichotomy of "Shit on the Radio". Music is music is music is music and that is all there is to it.

What is one artist or art VS another? What is depth and why should I care about it if I enjoy that which is already being played?

But my real question is: why would I limit myself to what I can enjoy by inventing invisible terms that have no objective value as measures to which an art must be classified and heavily segregate it from everything else?

It just seems like a lot of work to justify turning the radio off.

An OCR trance thread with no real trance in it #3249238

Um that's the point. Read the thread.

It's about people that listen to pop songs that are trance influenced and they may not even know it.

Now is that enough influence to enjoy trance related BGM for a video game.

I wouldn't say that mainstream/popular music is specifically influenced by trance. I'd be a little more generic when saying it's influenced by that kind of sound. Just because some song has some sort of saw synth or whatever in it doesn't mean it was influenced by trance. I'd probably generalize it to "electronic." But whatever, pop/hip-hop/rap etc has been doing it for a long time and it's pretty awful. Really yawntastic and uninspired loops over most likely cheap lyrics.

As for trance centered video game music, Yuzo Koshiro's (Streets of Rage, Ys, etc.) work on the Wangan Midnight racing series had plenty of typical eurobeat/trance tracks on it. It worked fine in Japan and it would probably work fine here too. Though if you ask me, if video game music is going to have a soundtrack based in electronic dance music, it'll probably take it's influences from house or breakbeats first if anything.

I've never understood this dichotomy of "Shit on the Radio". Music is music is music is music and that is all there is to it.

What is one artist or art VS another? What is depth and why should I care about it if I enjoy that which is already being played?

But my real question is: why would I limit myself to what I can enjoy by inventing invisible terms that have no objective value as measures to which an art must be classified and heavily segregate it from everything else?

It just seems like a lot of work to justify turning the radio off.

Well for one I was just clearing up the difference between the two. And second I don't think it's all shit but for the most part it is but that's my opinion so I'm not forcing my beliefs on you or anything, I didn't say anything about not listenin to the radio you go ahead and listen to whatever you want to listen lol. I shouldn't have to explain depth when I'm talkin about the two. Listen to Mos Def or Pharaoh Monch compared to Gucci Mane or Young Jeezy and you'll know what I'm talkin about (hopefully).