OCR01892 - Final Fantasy IV "Éminence Grise"

djpretzel

I normally hate outright any VG music/remix that has vocals in it. This piece is definitely an exception. It does an excellent job of creating a moody, ominous tone that warns of what will follow; and the lyrics aren't cheesy or annoying (normally the two qualms I have with most lyrical VG music), and just as importantly, understandable. Plus, the vocals and instrumentals do a perfect job of complementing each other, rather than trying to stand apart.

Good work. You two should collab more often. :-P

Great arrangement of a very challenging source. I've heard several versions of this song as it was developing and it really has come a long way. Nice simple downtempo beats that still manage to stay interesting throughout.

The most important thing here, I think, was establishing the right mood and I think OA nailed it. Great foreshadowing for the ending of the album with the tense/somewhat creepy feel to it.

I really love the legato string run (shocking, huh?) that comes in around 1:14 that gives the piece some additional movement & diversity.

I think DA was a great choice for vocals as her singing style seems to lend itself well to this genre. Great job guys.

I think anything I say now has honestly already been said, particulary what Level99 said. :-P

The feeling made me shiver when I heard the MAGFest preview, and honestly, this is a really good song. The background really helps DA's vocals, and the vocals complement the backing perfectly.

Plus, I can understand the lyrics. Hurrah!

Awesome work, you two. Hope to hear another collab in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion on lyrical ReMixes is sometimes mixed, though generally positive if the standard of vocals is good (and it usually is). This is a definite positive one.

It's by far one of my favourite tracks on the album, combining as it does a haunting, ethereal feel with great lyrics. The fact that the lyrics don't rhyme adds a certain... disjointedness (which is perfect for the context) without being so obvious as to be annoying. Whether or not this was a deliberate effect, it really works well.

I also like lyrics to be intelligible, but again I prefer it to be subtle enough to gel. In other words: clear, but not in-your-face. That's another thing this track does perfectly.

Lastly, this track easily passes the criterion required to be one of my "very favourite tracks", which is that I can listen to it on repeat for ages and not get fed up with it!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This one definitely feels appropriate given the source tune. For something that was churned out as fast as you guys make it sound, I think the finished product is pretty astounding! :-D Nice original lyrics, quality vocals from and a downright-haunting instrumental track... this was a perfect lead-in to the epic finale on Echoes.

Nice work you two! :-D

• 3 months later...

Wow, the atmosphere for this ReMix is spectacular. The voices, the vocals, the lyrics, the deep piano all work with this and give it the proper foreshadowing to the "Finale" song. I'm not sure I'd call it creepy, but it gives you tense chiller-like feelings and I like it. OA and DA, nice work on this one! :nicework:

I can't really say anything that hasn't been said; the lyrics certainly fit as a prelude to Finale Part II ~ Genesis of Destruction, but this is certainly among my favourite of the Echoes album.

Hey, it got me to download the full album ;D

-edit-

I appear to have assisted in bumping this thread. This was not my intention; my apologies.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

One of my absolute favourites from the album. I like the game's soundtrack a lot, and the moon pieces are among the gems in my opinion. This one does justice, and gives the things its own spin.

DA's vocals are excellent on this one, and great for material like this. Chilly! Along with "My Child", I think this piece was a big step forwards for DragonAvenger. (Bits of the delivery actually remind me of Kate Bush, which is good.)

The production is good. Solid and meaty, yet very spacey. A wonderful amount of detail too. The whispering is a neat effect. Appropriately creepy. My one gripe would be that the vocals around 2:13-02:30 (the "Tonight" bit) sound a little plain. Structurally they're positioned at a kind of a high point of the track.. they could've been sung more powerfully, or perhaps with additional harmony vocals, for additional highlight, or perhaps effected in a way that would've made them blend to make the whole more interesting texturally. Instead they're a bit of in the middle. This isn't a major gripe though, the track overall is just so good that a bit that's just decent (instead of great) kind of sticks out. :)

Great work all around! I'll also mention that the piece also functions very well where it's situated on the album.

--Eino

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01892 - Final Fantasy IV "Éminence Grise"