SHNABUBULA HATES CHIPTUNES...thank you time magazine

Sam Ascher-Weiss

Journalism is always right, except in those few cases where you have first-hand knowledge.

Once you experience journalism first hand, you understand that very very little of it is remotely true. I've experienced the amazing "fair/honest/balanced" reporting that is CNN and I can tell you they got very very very little correct. Including information I gave them, and information they gathered. From my business' address our name, what we do, to why there where legal issues surrounding us. CNN had their desire to vilify me, and they did. What's better is the fact its very very hard to sue a news agency because all they'll do is post a correction in a size 2 font somewhere on their website and they'll have fulfilled their legal obligation to fix it.

I still think her article is mostly garbage. The whole thing, to me, seems to have a very condescending vibe towards chiptunes, as well as the video game music community in general.

I'm calling rubbish on her apology as well. I do not think she's sorry at all for what she did, I think she's only sorry that so many people took note and were offended and have formally complained. And why? Because I suppose that can threaten her job and her credibility. Therefore, of course she's going to write some seemingly courteous and apologetic statement. And then she tries to play it off with the whole "I'm human and I make mistakes sometimes" cop out. Sorry, taking a quote out of context alone (while lame) might be believable and possibly even forgivable with that excuse, but she completely lied. She made up something that was not true. That's blatant fraud, and no matter how grand or small the fabrication, that should be highly illegal. I know that it's not like she came out and said that Sam likes to touch small children or locks small animals in his piano when he plays, but what she said can still damage his reputation on any number of levels, and THAT is what I am so irate about.

Anyway, it sucks that we can't all just be like "Hey Sam, congrats on landing a feature in Time magazine!". Nicework, Claire. Looks like this isn't the first time you've pissed people of by tackling a subject in your (I'm dubbing it so) trademark style of not-knowing-what-you're-talking-about-to-begin-with-coupled-with-a-jaded-motive. If for any reason I ever somehow land the opportunity to be written about, I hope it's not by you.

http://www.rampagingchocobo.com/2009/02/open-letter-to-claire-suddath.html

http://www.creatingitchy.com/2009/02/18-random-tweets-about-claire-suddath.html

(Ironically, before publishing an article about wasting time on the internet, she gushed over this site):

http://jargonandargot.wordpress.com/2009/02/09/claire-suddath-time-magazine/

And just for fun - http://www.time.com/time/video/player/0,32068,12154160001_1879638,00.html

I gather enough from that video that I feel like I can fabricate a quote or two about her, mainly about how intelligent she may or may not sound.

"'Video Game Music' is a dying genre that deserves no attention...", say's DJP, "... only morons would go out of their way to rearrange and appreciate it."

... Really? Really? I frankly can't believe what they did to you, Sam. That 'quote' above is almost more believable than what they quoted for you. I would congratulate your spot in Time, but it's actually better not to be in that magazine than it is to be subject to blatant lies from them - people will actually believe Time more than they believe you. I still think their cover up edit was bullshit, as it still misrepresents your view on the subject (although not contradictory, anymore, at least).

EDIT: Reading the article further, I found out that chiptune artists are not really musicians, nor are video game remixers...

Originally Posted by TIME magazine

Chiptune music is created through a computer programming code and because of that most musicians come to the medium through their interest in computers. They do not necessarily know how to play an instrument... Asher-Weiss is a chiptune anomaly: he is a jazz pianist and working musician in New York City.

Do I even need to comment on that?
Originally Posted by TIME magazine

Unsurprisingly, jazz purists hate it...

Jazz musicians might consider Kind of Bloop heresy, but the video game community can't wait to hear it.

Wait, where did she make that jump?! Musicians (from purists) think it's heresy, but man, video gamers think it's awesome... I guess we're not musicians, here, if we enjoy mixing video game music.

What a hateful article - I'm sorry your name is even associated with it. I guess it's good for publicity, though - the best thing that could have ever happened for Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring' is that a riot started during the premier performance, so I'm pretty sure this will boost your sales significantly, even if it is for the wrong reasons.

For the regular Joe Everyman (lol), they don't necessarily regard Time magazine based purely on the prestige behind the name. I never thought of Time as a journalistic magazine to begin with, but then again, I've never read it. I find so much more substance in the smaller-run publications, and find them so much more worthwhile. Sure, Time is a big vehicle for publicity and it really sucks that they would mess with you in this manner, but the article will still do what it was intended to do. It will get people interested, who probably have not even heard of chiptunes, and they will check out the music.

So yeah, this is a stain on what could have been a great opportunity, but I think there's a silver lining to this cloud, or whatever the phrase is. There will still be good from it. Plus, in addition, the 'controversy' over the mis-quoted interview will also probably generate a decent size of buzz. So anyway, congratulations. I did listen to the samples and I wish I had the kind of money that I could just throw at this thing, but bah.. it sucks being poor. But the samples were great.