Petara

Yeah, everyone seems to feel the need to get butthurt over every little concept, when it's a movie. A well crafted movie at that. But then again people who see this as offensive probably are the same that want to pick apart movies like The Matrix for religious undertones and push the image that there's a stereotype at every turn.

Fact is, great movie, great visuals, and very touching.

FUCKING OUTSTANDING

Mr. Cameron has come through again. The rather generic storyline worked perfectly... I mean, shit, you're having a visual orgasm for 2.5 hrs. Pile as much confusion and irony that Memento had and someone is bound to have an aneurysm. Will go again.

I saw this a few days back and after the inital after thoughts of, "Dang that was a sweet movie" wore off I still think its awesome, If I have the chance to go see it again I will. This is coming from a guy who sees one or two movies a year, because I dont want to spend the $10 on it. ($13 for 3D)..... But I would easily pay for it again.

The 3D was pretty good. I believe it was my first 3D movie experience. My only downside was That the movie seamed darker ... I know it is because of the glasses, But I feel like th brightness could of been adjusted for the glasses....

But the glasses were good, they did not bother me at all..

Good movie, Good effects..

But then again people who see this as offensive probably are the same that want to pick apart movies like The Matrix for religious undertones and push the image that there's a stereotype at every turn.

Um...the Matrix DID have religious undertones. Especially when viewed in light of Christianity. Just saying...

I really wish people wouldn't read so deep into stuff and would simply enjoy what's presented to them.

It's awfully depressing.

People like me wanted to enjoy it. But it's kind of insulting to tell someone you wish they would simply enjoy what's presented to them. That's like saying "I wish you didn't have opinions and would just like everything." I've been hoping and waiting for a good science fiction film for a long time, and I had high hopes for this one, because it was high concept. Is it too much to ask that people not rehash the same stories and themes over and over again?

It's awfully depressing :P

People like me wanted to enjoy it. But it's kind of insulting to tell someone you wish they would simply enjoy what's presented to them. That's like saying "I wish you didn't have opinions and would just like everything." I've been hoping and waiting for a good science fiction film for a long time, and I had high hopes for this one, because it was high concept. Is it too much to ask that people not rehash the same stories and themes over and over again?

I have opinions and there are things I dislike, but to pick apart at movies and look at small details that effect your opinion of a movie as a whole is a bit silly to me. I'm not saying to like everything, I'm saying there's no need to over-think things and ruin what would otherwise be a great movie for yourself. Unless otherwise said by the director, movies are meant to enjoy what's at face value. You could analyze something very well and make your own interpretations about it, but to let it effect how much you enjoyed the movie, like the poster me and Edge were talking to, just isn't right, especially if it wasn't intended by the director. So the movie is somewhat of a plot rehash. So what? The movie was still enjoyable and it had its own take on the whole Dances with Wolves type plot

(is that really the right movie to be referencing here?). I just don't understand how people let small things like that effect every single other thing about the movie that was great. The acting, the characters, the setting, freakin' Pandora itself, most everything was creative or at least entertaining. There's far more good here than bad, so I don't see how that one tiny detail made everything unenjoyable. Geoffery Taucer, one of the most analytical people here, thought the movie was awesome, despite the basic plot being done before.

I'm not angry or anything, I just wish you could look past such a small detail and have fun with the movie! :cry:

If someone wants to hate a movie or find fault in a movie over something like say "originality", then by all means go for it. But there are a lot of more blatant rip offs and generic storylines out there than Avatar, that's for sure.

But to sit there and write up a full page essay about how this little bit represents racism, or stereotyping, or religious undertones, or oppression with the intent to do it is just the same kinda stuff that I would expect the "movie experts" at somethingawful's forum movie section to debate on and run into the ground. I guess everyone seems to have a sense of entitlement as to what a person should view as their views, but in the last few years it seems more and more in your face with the nitpickery and it really needs to be toned down. I'm sure Cameron isn't in league with "white man" to somehow oppress the native americans more in movie theaters and demoralize our children's vision.

Read my quote again.

I did. I was pointing out that I seem to be an exception to it. While I did notice the obvious religious overtones in the Matrix, I was not offended by some of the cliches and stereotypes in Avatar. (And I'm sure I'm not the only one.) Again, just saying.

But to sit there and write up a full page essay about how this little bit represents racism, or stereotyping, or religious undertones, or oppression with the intent to do it is just the same kinda stuff that I would expect the "movie experts" at somethingawful's forum movie section to debate on and run into the ground.

Heh, first thing I thought of was this...you can read anything into anything if you try hard enough.

But that doesn't mean that "something" isn't there - Cameron's certainly not as deep as say, Fitzgerald, but he's not Michael Bay level either. (coherent sentences rather than picture books. :<)

Either way, I think the amount of time we spend with the india-I mean na'vi greatly influences the film.

I think audiences would have viewed the movie much differently if the time spent with the two sides had been nearly equal.

Something where the battles would have meant something to both groups - it would have been a much stronger film with a more developed "enemy," IMO. (especially the colonel...haha best character ever)

Not to say I didn't like it, but it could have been a much better film if it had gone through some revisions in the writing department.

The narrative really wasn't bad; it was nothing life-changing, it wasn't entirely original, but it wasn't bad. It was completely acceptable.

But to me, complaining about the plot being unoriginal is missing the point. It would be like complaining about a weak plot in Tetris Attack; the point of the movie isn't the narrative.

To me, the main purpose was to show us another world, a stunningly beautiful garden of eden on another planet. The narrative was peripheral; you could have completely stripped the narrative elements from the movie and it STILL would have been amazing. The movie didn't set out to tell a wildly compelling story, it set out to show us a lush imaginary universe in stunning and visually BEAUTIFUL detail.

And it succeeded completely.

I really loved this movie - probably one of the best I've seen in the last 3 years or so, and definitely my top movie of 2009. Gorgeous environments, excellent acting, mindblowing CG, a good plot and, most importantly, a completely engrossing world. The "spell" on me was never broken throughout the movie. While the plot might be similar to Dances With Wolves or even Fern Gully (lol) the execution was still really interesting.

I don't think I can say that I have ever had a film experience like this in my life.

I definetly IMAX'ed this one, as I do with any movie that has great potential

to be a good movie, and have great effects.

I knew it was in 3d, but the last few movies I saw that had 3d had select scenes where you put on your classes, and something popped off the screen at you and you went "ooh" and that was it. Pretty gimmicky.

This movie uses 3d effects like they should be used. Instead of distracting from the movie, they immersed you into the incredible environment created by James Cameron. *minor Spoiler* When they had you in the cockpit of the jets, well I just never had the type of feeling in a movie like that before...

Say what you want about the plot. I'm a plot guy. I hated movies like Transformers (especially the sequal) or generally any Michael Bay esque piece o' crap. This is not what Avatar is at all. It may not be the most original story, or sequencing. It might have been slightly predictable. hell it might have been Dances with wolves in the future on a different planet.... but to use that to call it a bad movie is like looking at a roller coaster and saying it sucks because you can stand on the ground and see every twist and turn and dip and drop, maybe you have even ridden on a few much like it. Thing is, get on that coaster and you are in for the ride of your life....

Just got back and I'm still in gush mode so I'll spare this thread any unnecessary exclamation points and "OMG's", but omg, I loved that movie!

If it hasn't already been said, it reminded me very much of the Pocahontas story adaptation "The New World" with Colin Farrell. Not because Avatar's storyline so closely parallel's the classic Pocahontas myth, but primarily because the cinematography was equally as surreal and visually stunning.

I couldn't bring myself to pony up the $15 to see it in 3D for the first round, but I'll definitely make another trip to see it again for the full experience.

Whoa man, what a rush! The movie was insanely predictable, but I didn't let that get in the way of just enjoying its excellent presentation; I was never bored, that's for sure.

And those visuals were just in-credible. I hope I can get another chance at seeing it.