Petara

I find it funny how every single movie it was similar to I haven't seen. Dances with Wolves: haven't seen. The New World: haven't seen. FernGully & Pocahontas: haven't seen (I got out of early childhood just before Disney went to shit and the copycats came in and ruined 2D animation for everybody).

That being said I could sense it was a similar story to those, but that didn't bother me too much. And I'm wondering why, since I've attacked other movies for having a weak plot... I suppose it's like Geoffrey Taucer said: the plot, by design, is secondary to everything else. And I'm happy it wasn't Michael Bay-ish.

I liked it a lot, thought the 3D did give me a headache (hint: keep your head straight). My biggest problems plot-wise were [minor-spoilers] the ending post-climax and how the characters turned into stereotypes of themselves for the final battle.[/minor-spoilers] I think it would have served the movie better if it had a co-writer, as opposed to Cameron writing it solo.

Also: Segourney Weaver was badass :razz:--especially for a scientist--though I don't understand why she went out there as an Na'vi too.

Was it just me... Or did the animation quality vary throughout the film?

And was I the only one who saw the floating mountains and thought "Ooh! Zeal!"

I saw it over the weekend and thought it was super awesome. I didn't even think about the cgi, it was so well integrated.

Story construction was really good, demonstrating all of the important plot mechanics and then bringing them back later when they mattered.

the $13.50 for the 3d version was totally money well spent.

SPOILERZ-

Plotwise, the only part that broke me out was the human army dropping off infantry- tactically, it'd make more sense to just have the bomber + support. If they were going in to completely wipe out all the refugees, then deploy the infantry later. Not as exciting of a story, of course, but more logical.

I'm not angry or anything, I just wish you could look past such a small detail and have fun with the movie! :cry:

No worries. I saw it in Imax 3D, you can bet I had fun :D

Avatar just had something like viewer's regret for me. I loved it the minute after I saw it, and slowly, the more I thought about it, the more I felt like it could have been so much greater, by going in a direction that movie-goers hadn't seen before. But I understand that when you have a half-billion dollar movie in production, you can only be so daring with the story.

On the bright side, I heard something about there being sequels : )

I hope so. The potential is definitely there without having a blatant stinger.

Kinda like the first Star Wars, it wrapped up the story at hand in case the film didn't meet expectations, while staying just opened ended enough so that a sequel didn't feel forced.

Saw it earlier today, and I agree with the Zeal comparisons. Beautiful film, though much like Star Wars before, the movies with the best effects are never the films with the best acting. Despite that fact, I enjoyed it a great deal.

As far as the raw technology, I see more applications in gaming than the silver screen -- I really want to have that kind of depth of field while playing the next Crysis or (especially) Elder Scrolls V.

Effects of that magnitude taken to the next level in gaming *ESPECIALLY* for Elder Scrolls V would be outstanding. And ya know, maybe bettering the whole dialogue headlock/creepy eye thing Yahtzee always brings up in his reviews...

Either way, imo, Cameron has set a new standard in that respect.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Dutch online "newspaper" "reported" that many people had depressions or suicidal thoughts after seeing the movie, and realizing that planet it plays on does not exist and our world is crap :P

It's probably taken horribly out of context though, seeing how it used "various forums on the internet" as its source...

So...you guys experienced anything like that after seeing the movie? :P

Some Dutch online "newspaper" "reported" that many people had depressions or suicidal thoughts after seeing the movie, and realizing that planet it plays on does not exist and our world is crap :P

It's probably taken horribly out of context though, seeing how it used "various forums on the internet" as its source...

So...you guys experienced anything like that after seeing the movie? :P

I was more depressed by the anti-American statement the movie had about it. Sure it was supposed to be anti-military/war, but the tactics employed by the military in Avatar seemed more to reflect current American policy and whatnot.

Also I was really baffled by how many scenes were devoted to the Na'vi just sitting around screaming in a general direction.

Good movie though.

Ha, no.

On a different note, Avatar is up to $1.37 billion, the second highest grossing movie of all time. Anyone think it has the momentum to toss Titanic at $1.84 billion?

Domestically it currently sits at $441 million, where Dark Knight has $533, and Titanic $600.

On a different note' date=' [i']Avatar is up to $1.37 billion, the second highest grossing movie of all time. Anyone think it has the momentum to toss Titanic at $1.84 billion?

i think it does. it is likely going to continue buzzing as long as the discussion on its uber-gbreen, anti-american musings as well as all these stories about folks going into withdrawal and becoming depressed after seeing it

pandora is a beautiful world, no doubt.

the concept of being able to plug into the world should be appreciated by any living creature unless you're wrecked in the head. you don't have to be a hippy or a flimsy or a "smooth talker"... the idea of being able to connect to the environment in which you live (in any capacity) is something that we try to accomplish in a myriad of other ways every day. if you've ever stopped to soak up the moment (any moment), you know what i mean. the way cameron presents it is certainly visually and conceptually brilliant and yeah it sucks when you leave the IMAX theatre and realize you can't just walk up to a badass bear and stick your braid in his ear and control him with your thoughts.

that said

niether movie is a monumental achievement in terms of presenting intellectual forum (they're both action flicks first and foremost) but i recently saw 2012 for the first time nearly a day before i saw avatar. the combined effect was stunning, even for a railing realist like myself: the end is inevitable. it's just a matter of when. that's what i think is causing the depression walking away from the film. we'll take to space desperately in search of a new world when this one starts to die whether by our own hand (slightly prematurely) or when the sun decides we're done. either way, it isn't a pleasant story