Fight Club / Calvin and Hobbes

Maco70

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome comparison, definitely a stretch, but entertaining nonetheless.

I was a huge fan of the movie and the book. The book is a little grittier and has a different ending, for those who want to look into it. Still, as much of a fan as I used to be, I think Fight Club lost some relevance in recent years - it was released in a time of relative prosperity, when one could be bored with a decent job and a fully furnished condo. Now, when a lot of people are struggling to find a job, this kind of frustration rings hollow.

Still, Fight Club was a great film, and I highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen it yet.

VERY interesting read.

I grew up reading Calvin and Hobbes and still have a pile of books lying around here somewhere. After reading the collections to the point of extreme wear and tear (even some of my own little sketches on some pages) and seeing Fight Club more than a few times, I do see some pretty wild coincidences... though, to repeat a few of you, it's still a stretch.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Palahniuk was a fellow fan of the boy and his tiger.

Interesting. I see the natural connections, but I don't think the qualities of Fight Club and Calvin and Hobbes are exclusive enough to say something so bold as Calvin is Jack. I would say that Calvin and Hobbes and Fight Club share comparable qualities, (which were outlined decently in this article) but I wouldn't sensationalize it quite so much or at all.

Similarities exist, not much more.