OCR01894 - Doom II "Silent Healer"

djpretzel

Although it was a little strange to see this posted so long after DQD's release, I certainly can't let this one go by without showing it some love. As mentioned in the writeup, "The Healer Stalks" is a very boring source, personally I would say it's probably easily the most boring song between both the Doom I and II soundtracks, yet this track does so much to make it interesting again.

That same "boring" melody is there for most of the track, but the key here is that this mix varies things up quite a bit throughout, something the source was very much unable to do. The result is an upbeat, catchy track that was definitely one of my favorites from DQD, and, seemingly late as it may be, I am definitely glad to see it stand on it's own now.

Mazedude's been around here for years, I remember having his music burn on CD's back when I was 12 years old. I've always liked his stuff, and this piece is a very good example of his art. I really like the sound design and the atmosphere Mazedude developed here. On the other side, the mix sounds too simplistic and repetitive at times. But don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic piece to listen to, be sure to check it out!

What's with all the Healer Stalks hate? I thought the song fit in well with the sewer-style level in Doom. The track had a mellow groove to it that was fun to listen to.

Chris' Silent Healer is the darkest track on DQD, which in the long run is what I was after when putting the project together. I had my speakers turned way up when Chris first sent it to me and it shook the windows and walls alike with the driving industrial synths.

I will admit that I've listened to Westside Archvile (Chris' other contribution to DQD, which everyone should also check out) far more than this track, but when I'm in the mood for some evil, this is the track I put on in the dark with the speakers up.

If you like this track and haven't heard Delta-Q-Delta, go download the album and have a listen. And comment!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why I was thinking this would be more atmospheric based on the description. I make bas assumptions, I guess.

Anyways, that aside, this track is an interesting listen. It's hard to categorize it. I'll stick with calling it creepy. Things are a little bit too dissonant for my tastes (and strange, not gonna lie), but it's obvious there was a lot of work put into this, and it shows.

What is this pathetic excuse of a thread? More people need to listen to this and comment on it.

Just like always, Mazedude manages to create an incredible atmosphere; downright evil in some places. What I found most interesting about this remix are some of the sounds he uses, since they remind me very much of 90's videogames, particularly the Ridge Racer series.

Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The sound choices really caught my attention. Mazedude has certain mastered the industrial genre and knows how to pick instruments and samples that create that haunting, mechanical atmosphere. For a haunting, dark, atmospheric track, this can't really be beat, but overall the arrangement feels pretty repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere, but that's not really a huge issue with this genre. The mood is what counts and you totally nailed that aspect of the mix!

As a side note, whatever the hell you've got going on at 2:09 reminded me of the sound effect in Luigi's Mansion where you suck the ghosts out of the vacuum at the end of each section of the game. Really cool :-P

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01894 - Doom II "Silent Healer"