Can anyone help me in the right direction?

shox3

Hi OCremix, I've been a fan of this site for a while now and have decided that I want to try out remixing a track. Only problem is that I have no idea where to start. I had a look at the tutorials section and the thread about the best free music software was a good start for letting me know what's out there, but there's a lot of different programs in that list and I'm not sure what would be best for me.

I don't have a keyboard or anything that I can hook up to my laptop, so I was thinking maybe there's something that will let me write notated music kind of like the program sibelius. The problem with sibelius is the sounds are crappy midi sounds.

From the tracks I've heard here, I gather that there's a way of getting real instrument sounds on the computer without having to physically record them yourself? If I'm right in this assumption, what would be the program to use?

If anybody could help me in the right direction, that would be great. I'm sure many have asked the same questions before me so sorry for being a noob.

but there's a lot of different programs in that list and I'm not sure what would be best for me.

Get trial versions of all of 'm. Pick one. Spend a week with it and see if you can make a song with it - enough tutorials for each application.

If you feel that the software is not working/thinking with you and making you jump through hoops to get something done, dismiss it and start with the next.

I don't have a keyboard or anything that I can hook up to my laptop

Are you willing to buy one in the future?

From the tracks I've heard here, I gather that there's a way of getting real instrument sounds on the computer without having to physically record them yourself?

Yes, but not all, and not all equally convincing.

If I'm right in this assumption, what would be the program to use?

The trick is to see the software that provides you with the sounds (the plugin) separate from the software you use to compose music with (the sequencer).

It depends on what kind of sounds you want and what you are willing to spend.

Furthermore, do not overlook the fact that what you hear is rarely alone - often, effects (again, separate pieces of software) matter as much as the source.

For orchestral sounds, GPO can do the job, but you can spend as much as you like. Electric guitars are tricky to do well, and while there are options they still require skill in playing.

You could start with E-mu Proteus VX - while still not spectacular, they're certainly better than the General MIDI soundbank (what you call MIDI sounds - but MIDI does not make sound).