DKC2 - Crook's Castle WIP

IhsAwoski

This is surprisingly enjoyable to listen to :-) You've definitely caught my attention. The derivative material that sandwiches in the source is really well written and flows nicely with the song - try to include more of that interpretation in the middle parts as well, where you basically hit the source verbatim.

Other than that, I wasn't a huge fan of the flute sound you used, and the transition from the intro to the first segment feels just a bit too loud and abrupt.

Work a bit more interpretation and rearrangement into it, pick a better flute sample, and you've got something submittable! Fantastic start! :-D

This is surprisingly enjoyable to listen to :-) You've definitely caught my attention. The derivative material that sandwiches in the source is really well written and flows nicely with the song - try to include more of that interpretation in the middle parts as well, where you basically hit the source verbatim.

Other than that, I wasn't a huge fan of the flute sound you used, and the transition from the intro to the first segment feels just a bit too loud and abrupt.

Work a bit more interpretation and rearrangement into it, pick a better flute sample, and you've got something submittable! Fantastic start! :-D

Hey, thanks. Yeah, I understand what you said about the flute. I did have a trumpet sound, but I really didn't like how it sounded, so I went with the pan flute which sounded a little bit better. Thank you very much for the compliment.

This is great! WOW.

I LIKE the way you first play the source material in the middle of the track but then diverge toward the end.

1. I can't wait to see you fix the flutey thing. Its not doing you ANY justice.

2. Beware of the cutesy factor too. Overuse of triangles/and xylophones and stuff don't lend well to my idea of an orchestration, and it makes it difficult to play sometimes. I'm not a expert on the different instrument you can use but it's just feeling a bit too cutesy.

3. Orchestra's don't fade out, bud. Try to think of a way to bring the "fight" to a climax and then resolve the fight.

4. I agree the transitions are a bit too abrupt, I needed to use my volume knob a few times. Love the idea though.

5. Is that a synth choir around 2mins? hmmm... never liked them, they strip the authenticity out. Try to remove MAJOR evidences of synthiness if you can, matey.

This track has definately started an interesting, exciting story... hope you can refine and finish it to make it truely compelling!

This is great! WOW.

I LIKE the way you first play the source material in the middle of the track but then diverge toward the end.

1. I can't wait to see you fix the flutey thing. Its not doing you ANY justice.

2. Beware of the cutesy factor too. Overuse of triangles/and xylophones and stuff don't lend well to my idea of an orchestration, and it makes it difficult to play sometimes. I'm not a expert on the different instrument you can use but it's just feeling a bit too cutesy.

3. Orchestra's don't fade out, bud. Try to think of a way to bring the "fight" to a climax and then resolve the fight.

4. I agree the transitions are a bit too abrupt, I needed to use my volume knob a few times. Love the idea though.

5. Is that a synth choir around 2mins? hmmm... never liked them, they strip the authenticity out. Try to remove MAJOR evidences of synthiness if you can, matey.

This track has definately started an interesting, exciting story... hope you can refine and finish it to make it truely compelling!

DARN YOU!!!!! :P

I wish I would have ready this before I started working on the song again. I just got to working on it again and I'm saving.

As for the climaxes and whatnot. Not all songs will start of soft and just grow louder. There are many times where they get loud and then really soft again.I know. I've played in an orchestra before. As for the bells....hmm. To be honest, I actually like the tone in them and how they aid the melody in the quieter parts of the tune.

Hmm...let me listen over it again, I'll repost the song tomorrow and see what you think there. I have added a part in the middle.

This is a tough source.

I'm not a fan of the flute either. It sounds very out of place with the other instruments. Overall I think all of your instruments need more reverb. You have great build up, but it would impress me even more if your quiet sections were quieter. Dynamics my friend.

Your main snare beat is too bland. Mix it up some.

DARN YOU!!!!! :P

I wish I would have ready this before I started working on the song again. I just got to working on it again and I'm saving.

Its only my opinion buddy. It's an awesome source so I expect a lot I suppose. I'm sure what you've been doing is a step in the right direction.

As for the climaxes and whatnot. Not all songs will start of soft and just grow louder. There are many times where they get loud and then really soft again.I know. I've played in an orchestra before.

Very true... i like some of those too!!! I'd prolly just avoid fading it.

As for the bells....hmm. To be honest, I actually like the tone in them and how they aid the melody in the quieter parts of the tune.

EDIT: yes I like the way you use them at the start... very sinister.

Just watch that you don't overuse em... i'm no expert tho and don't take anything to heart... I'm just an avid listener of music. I can enjoy LOTS of different types of music :). But if there are too many "cutesy bits" (very technical term that, :) it becomes near impossible to weave into a playlist, no matter how good the arrangment.

Can't wait to see how you developed it.

Alright, let's see...

The intro felt just a bit too sparse for my liking. I would put more emphasis on the strings in the beginning so that part doesn't feel so empty, or at least gradually build it up as you approach the next section.

Overall, the switches between heavy and light music work well.

The instrument samples/soundfonts still aren't great - search around for some free samples that might be able to spice this up a little bit, because your arrangement is definitely there, the instruments just aren't quite doing it justice.

I still stand by my previous critique that certain segments feel too close to the source. The parts where you stray away from that a bit, but still keep the Krook's March mood in mind are really awesome, I wish you would incorporate more of that into the rest of the song.

Overall, I'm still digging it :-) Keep it up!

I've been waiting for a remix of this source for a while - it's a really good track from that game. What have you got for me?

Arrangement is good - well done on treating the source as well as you have. I can't complain on the structure, so I won't; it has nice climaxes in the right places and has enough variety to make it interesting throughout. The orchestration is also pretty good, although some of the samples tend to downplay it sometimes. Overall, though, it's a very enjoyable arrangement that I'd like to see up on OC someday.

Production is a little off, but I believe your close - most of what I say is a bit nit picky, but it's still important. I don't think your samples are terrible, altogether (in the beginning, they're actually spot on). The part where the organ comes in is particularly when it becomes noticeable - the organ isn't bad, but the timpani is unnatural - try to get a different sound for each hand rather than making one hand get louder. The orchestra hits are also artificial - don't use an 'orchestra hit' sample. Create the hit yourself with the full orchestra (using your strings, woodwinds, brass and percussion - just be careful not to make each too loud), as that'll not only make it sound more real, but it'll also give you more control of the counterpoint between the instruments (in a song like this one, good counterpoint = good music).

The first timpani roll is very fitting, but the second one takes away from the loud section (because you did it earlier, it makes it easy to anticipate, which makes it a bit boring). Take out the roll and see if you like the sudden impact better.

The pizz. strings are all the same dynamic, taking away the 'human' quality it could have. Vary each strike so it sounds more human, it'll help the sound a lot.

Your solo instruments, because they're more exposed, need better samples. The orchestra is generally good, but the solos sound too mechanical (because of the samples). Find samples that don't have faded attacks and add the attacks on your own - it'll take this piece to a whole new level (varying the dynamics will help a lot, too).

Be careful at the end - there is a lot of 'fuzz' going on (which I don't think will go away with the fade out ending). Take a look at you EQ settings on the master, as it sounds like there is too much going on in some of the upper mids, I think. Also, this whole song could use a little boost in the highs, overall.

I agree with the snare complaints - they're terrible, as they are now. You can generally fix it if you use two slightly different snare sounds (to represent each hand), then vary the dynamics better, so try that out.

Don't take my criticisms too hard - it really is a great arrangement. I really want to to fix it up, though - it would be a great addition to OCR, but it won't make it as it is. Keep at it - I'll be listening to your improvements :).

Wow, dude. This sounds frickin' amazing. I'd offer constructive criticism, but I'm just stoked someone finally remixed this track. It's been a favorite of mine for years.

Great choice of instrumentation and theme. It sounds like it could be a track from Luigi's Mansion or something. :)

Wow, dude. This sounds frickin' amazing. I'd offer constructive criticism, but I'm just stoked someone finally remixed this track. It's been a favorite of mine for years.

Great choice of instrumentation and theme. It sounds like it could be a track from Luigi's Mansion or something. :)

Wow, thanks. That means a lot. I'm stoked you liked this so much. Thanks :D

I'll start off by saying you've got some cool ideas and good general feeling here. I think there is some room for improvement, though.

In several parts the soundfield gets very cluttered. One example is :55, another is 1:52. I think one of the culprits is the organ, but I don't think it's the only one. Try to spread things out more in the soundfield and eq out some unneeded frequencies.

I'm not familiar with the source, so I can't judge from that perspective how it's handled.

I really do have to echo cth that some beats would fit rather nicely with what you've got. Maybe even a bass synth or something to round out the bottom. Hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of splicing out a section and layering a beat and bass on top:

http://nutritious4.googlepages.com/CrooksCastleHelp1.mp3

Not saying you have to do this, obviously, but it's what I'm hearing.

I really do have to echo cth that some beats would fit rather nicely with what you've got. Maybe even a bass synth or something to round out the bottom. Hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of splicing out a section and layering a beat and bass on top:

http://nutritious4.googlepages.com/CrooksCastleHelp1.mp3

This for sure. Only thing that bothered me was the lack of bass, it sounds top heavy.

At certain parts I heard what sounded like a brass line peak through the thick parts(like 1:21 and the 2:55 segment), maybe trying bringing it down an octave or two, whatever leaves a good sound.

Then just add a beat. If you want to keep that orchestral feel, try using a normally low voiced instrument voice for it like cello/tuba. Throw on that brass line you have and chop it up, simply attacking the notes should provide a basic beat.

Of course, it might sound horrible... but it sounds like it would work in my head, give it a shot =D

This sounds great, and it actually really retains Rare's style; I can imagine them using something like this if they ever remade DKC2 (although actually their style really reminds me of something from a film but I can't quite put my finger on it...).

Good call changing the pan flute to a chuirch organ, though you seem to have forgotten to change the section at the end.

Nice work, look forward to hearing the ending. :)

This sounds great, and it actually really retains Rare's style; I can imagine them using something like this if they ever remade DKC2 (although actually their style really reminds me of something from a film but I can't quite put my finger on it...).

Good call changing the pan flute to a chuirch organ, though you seem to have forgotten to change the section at the end.

Nice work, look forward to hearing the ending. :)

Actually, at the end, I left the pan flute there on purpose because I really liked how mellow it sounds with the pan flute there.